• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rubber Landing Nets

Question

Which is better a rubber net or the regular one? Semms to me that the rubber one would not get your hook tied up as much,yet might not be as deep as the other style for a flopping fish.

8 answers to this question

Frabil makes rubber coated regular nets, I highly recommend them.. I have put a few fish through rubber nets.

The good frabil nets cost a little more, but the hooks dont get caught in them, and they dont tear up the fish. I have 2 of the rubber coated nets, 1 is now 4 years old and has netted crappies to flatheads and its still flawless... cant beat that.

i would go with the rubber coated frabil net too! i love mine!

My favorite net is the Frabill Pro-Tech catch & release net. The net itself folds up and the handle telescopes out. You can store the net in a very small place in your boat with it collapsed down. The bag of the net is rubber coated and has very small openings in the mesh. I think it is a sweet little net.

I vote for rubber! I really like the Frabil folding net but do not own it because when I bought my last net no one could show me how the thing folds, so instead I own the standard Frabil rubber net. It's fine for walleys but not deep enough for muskies. Since they are rubber, it's possible but rare that a fish could "bounce" out of the thicker, shallower rubber net. It's never happened to me but it never gets a hook skewered into the thing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I use the rubber net almost exclusively and have for years. I haven't have a fish swim through any of the new nets. But it was and issue with the older ones. These nets are the ticket for those using cranks. More time spend fishing and less time untangling hooks from the net.

Another good net is the rubber coated beckman nets. They work very well also.

Good Luck!

Cabela's Magnum Rubber extension handle, I've had it for several years and it works great.

Ole

I love my rubber net. But it is heavy. And a touch too small. It is tough to net big fish. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen often.

It seems 50 percent of the time, the fish unhook themselves the second I set the net down. Then I just carefully put them back. It seems to do minimal harm to the fish, no scales lost, etc., and no hands needed on the fish.

But the day will come when I lose the big one. Then I suppose the net goes overboard... Prabably should look at some of the bigger, newer nets you guys are mentioning.

If you like being able to easily put your net away check out the Stowmasters. They are collapsible and telescoping.

Not cheap though.

EJ