• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gravel Pits?

I live near the old gravel pits near Eagan and was wondering if anybody has ever fished them and if anyone has ever caight fish.

A whole world of adventure awaits you... go ahead and give it a try. Been fishing there for years...

Fisherman Andy, What kind of adventure?? Now I'm curious as well.

i live in eagan but now sure what gravel pits your referring too,got my state park permit last week and plan on

learning the minn river this summer,would like to hear more

about the pits thought

I used to fish in a pit up near (yeah right, location withheld for obvious reasons) and it was amazing. The fish in those pits see little to no pressure. The pit I fished was perfect. Two small bays with a narrow (5 feet wide) channel between them, and water clarity close to 20 feet. The Pike were absolutely amazing in that pond. I started fishing there just for fun finding small blue gills and crappies first. The first day I fished it, was a couple hundred pannies. The next time fishing in there, was fishing panfish again, and had one coming through some brush when it was attacked by a 15 lb Pike. I thought it was a fluke but figured I would toss some bigger baits for a while. That ended up making for the greatest Pike fishery I have ever found. There were days I would go out for three hours, and catch 30 pike over 36". I did some thinking and figured that the Pike were just chowing on the small panfish in this pond all the time, and just kept getting bigger. They were the thickest pike I have ever seen anywhere. Pits are more fun than you could ever imagine. Unfortunately, some people imported some milfoil into this pit and the crap took over and choked out the pond. I do not know who did it, but they killed out the best fishery I have ever found. Many memories from there.

Good Fishin.

Tom

I just got back from the pits...adventure indeed. Came across a school of crappies(DINKS!) and then managed to tip a canoe. Luckily we were wearing life jackets but it was still scary. Caught some nice bass as well even though we were fishing for panfish because bass are out of season.

Where are these located? I work in the area and they sound fun to try some day after work.