• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

starting battery

kato811

Question

i need a new starting battry for my boat . are the optimas any good ? ive heard theey are but thought id check to see if anyone has had problems with them

6 answers to this question

Fleet Farm brand batterys are very excellent quality and also extremely easy on the pocket book.

Just bought an optima starting battery for my boat this year...so far so good, although I haven't had a chance to really give the battery a good work out yet. It will definitely get one this weekend.

That question really depends on the type of outboard and if your running any electronics/bilge/livewell/etc off of the same cranking battery. I highly suggest interstate group 24MXHD batteries for a cranking battery for a carbed or efi outboard and/or your also running boat electronics off of the starter. It has lots of reserve and charges fast. A larger battery is required for direct injected engine technology (ram ficht, opti or hpdi) because of the continuous draw from the computerized engine.

optimas are top of the line but I have trouble spending the extra $125 over the battery I mentioned for similar performance.

I feel the Optima is worth the Xtra $$$. KT

I agree with mamohr686. I talked with some battery reps and decided to go with the Interstate SRM 40, which I believe is the same or similar battery to the one he listed above. It's got a deep cycle, but also cranks well. The deep cycle allows you two things: The ability to run your electronics and crank your motor. Most of the time you don't get a real good charge on your battery from you outboard unless you take extremely long runs or troll with it for an hour or more. This battery keeps a pretty good charge for some time. Sorry I'm not real specific on cranking amps, charging hrs., etc. I know there is a nice lay out on the Interstate web site.

For a cranker I always go with Interstate batteries. I ran one in my cuddy cabin for 10 years trouble free. they run anywhere from $55-$70 so there also affordable. As with any marine battery, run a trickel charge to it once or twice a month during the winter storage period and you will get years of service out of it.

JK