• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Have been reading a lot of the posts for the past two weeks, and watching the opener countdown too. Will be on O.T. may 27-june3 and am really looking forward to it. Have been traveling there over the past 3 years, and have never been disappointed, even with 5 torential rain days last year-same time. Hope all have a safe and bountiful opener, and save some fish for us late arrivers.

On to my question, I really want to make this trip memorable for my son who just graduated from high school. He goes away to college in the fall, and I feel like I may be loosing my fishing buddy. Can anyone share with me some tips on what might help us to present specific rigs or baits, and depths to work during that time? Much appreciated for everyone's consideration! For the first time in my life, I witnessed the migration on the O.T. river last year, and was amazed at the numbers of eyes at night. Knowing they are in there en masse, I can't wait to double team them with my grown son!

Again, best to all of you for a great opener and great weather!

pc

Hi PC Rider,

I would suspect the fish will likely be still active with shiner minnows and hitting the transition where leeches and nightcrawlers might come into play. Weedline areas would be a good choice to concentrate on, and the mid-lake structure will be starting to turn on. It really depends if the weather ever warms up. smile.gif

Jigs and live bait rigs would be my choice. I particularly like one style of bottom bouncer with a 2-3' snell. Bare hook, spinners, it all depends on what the fish decide to hit. We can keep you more up to date as time gets closer to your trip. Just refresh this thread back up to the top.

Thanks Chuck! Will try to reach out and connect before we head to O.T.! I appreciate your help and info and look forward to chattin later on. Enjoy the opener, hope the weather gets better for all up there. Has been very rainy here, very high winds 80 mph + at times over the past three days, lots of tree damage and too much hail for this time of year. Hope mother nature gets it all out of her system now.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to break for lunch and pull into Zorba's dock. My boys always love that. Especially the the young ladies that are often there. wink.gif I will be around Fergus myself June 2-5 for some C&R bass fishing. The smallies should be on some of the 1/2 logs I helped the DNR put in the river several years ago. Good luck. Joe Z.

tongue.gif Hey Chuck N and gang! Time to refresh the thread and see how things are going!?! Will be taking off here in a couple days and can hardly wait. Great things have happened since the last post...my boy graduated and he and his teamamtes won the Nebraska state soccer championship - first in school history - yeehaa! Now we're poised to celebrate with our annual trip to O.T.! Might even have to go to the sportman's to tip one or two in recognition! He gets a coke though...

Are the eyes moving up the river by Zorba's? Has the weather turned to the fisherman's favor lately? What's working for you all? Shiners, leeches, crawlers? Any specific depths? Appreciate any and all info and can't wait to get there. Appreciate any and all replies! Tight lines...

pc rider

[email protected]

Congratulations to your son, PC! Great accomplishments for his senior year!

Last time I fished OT was 5 days ago and to tell ya the truth it was very poor. That doesn't mean anything though because any lake can turn off and on. grin.gif As far as bait, I can't help you right now. I'd still lean toward shiners and fatheads, leeches are close. Depends on water temps, about 60 or so I'd start leaning towards leeches.

The weather has been fairly warm and the winds have been dead calm for the past 2 days. That could help warm the water, it was in the low 50's when I was there.

A cold front is on it's way that could put a ringer into the mix however. I'm looking out the window now with lightning and thunder in the distance. frown.gif

The weather looks stable and cool for the weekend and next week, which should help you on your trip. Good luck.

Hey Joe...since you mentioned smallies..can you point us in a direction of a certain spot or two of the OT area where we can maybe catch a few smallies? if so what kind of bait, presentations, etc. can be used to produce the best results.

Thanks a lot! Appreciate any and all responses.

Easiest spot would be below Orwell dam fishing from shore. From the dam all the down past the bridge by the parking lot. (Lots of rocks!)Crawfish colored Fat Raps and Rattle Traps. As a back up have a slip bobber ready to be rigged with a leech to drift with the current. If it's not crowded you can cast that straight up the shoreline to fool the ones hiding under cut banks. I believe (and hope confused.gif) it still is catch and release on smallies from Friberg Dam above Fergus Falls all the way to near Breckenridge. Some guys even fly fish that section with good luck. Joe Z.

If you want to catch some smallies in the boat, you could go to Ten Mile Lake south of Fergus Falls. I have fished a spot right out in front of the steak house that produces some smallies. These fish arent as large as the ones at Orwell

Thanks Chuck N! Appreciate it. It does look like the weather will be good and stable after Saturday, temps are projected to climb...yeah! Should be arriving mid-morning Friday and rarin' to go. Stayin at the three seasons, love it there. Feel free to give a shout. BTW, my guy is the one in the white on the avatar.

Joe Z and kowalleyeski...thanks also for the smallie info my son inquired about. The Orwell from shore sounds tempting for a day while there.

Will check again beofre leaving just in case anyone has any braggin' to deo. Take care and tight lines!

pc rider

[email protected]