• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Food plot drag

trollneyes

Does anyone have any good ideas for a cheap drag to work up ground for a food plot? I have access to a 4 wheeler. The area I am going to work up is fairly remote. I could rent a walk behind tiller, but I would rather spend the money on extra seed rather than till up 1/2 acre by hand. I also have access to some scrap metal and a welder if anyone has a simple design that has worked for them.

I don't think you could work up the ground with a drag. I pull a disc behind my atv, then use a drag to smooth and firm the soil and break up the clumps of dirt.

At times I've sprayed to kill the weeds, then used my drag to remove the dead vegetation and scratch up the surface enough to broadcast seed. But that's on ground that's been worked a lot in the past (tilled, limed, and fertilized) - I don't think it't work too good on a new plot.

If you do make a drag yourself, make it heavy or make it so you can add weight. Even with my disc I usually add a few hundred pounds until the plots have been worked up. And my drag weighs over 100 lbs too.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but good luck.

Before I rented a disc, I attempted various methods to try and scratch earth. My plow on my atv didn't work, I tried pulling various items, cement blocks, chuncks of iron, I guess there's a reason they make farm implements none of those things did anything. I can run my plow down the driveway and move class 5 but to try and break ground with sod/grass on it you need real equipment made for it.