• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any recommendations for an area bait shop where I might be able to find red tails? I am heading up the weekend AFTER opener to the Ottertail/Perham area. Feel free to email me if you don't want to broadcast. [email protected]

In the past, have people noticed a significant difference in effectiveness between fatheads, shiners, red tails in this area?

Best of luck (and skill) to all those heading out for opener!!

I don't really know the answer this early in the season. I usually start to see Redtails in stores by early/mid-summer. Water levels are pretty high to trap those buggers in the creeks/rivers right now I assume.

Shiners early season

Fatheads, depends.

Redtails mid-summer.

I do notice effectiveness throughout the season. A Redtail is a very agressive chub and early in the season walleyes are looking for an easy meal that is not overly aggressive. Chubs are also large and I feel walleyes want small meals trying to recoup after the spawn.

Shiners are a natural food source early in the season in the shallows, and they are not too aggressive.

Fatheads work, but it depends on the lake IMO. I've had fish not even sniff a fathead in some lakes and they would gulp them in others. A walleye in a lake with high lake shiner counts do care for fatheads because fatheads are not too natural to that environment.

Good luck.

There is a place in Perham. I can't remember the name, but they are on the corner when you first enter downtown. They always have them.

The place in Perham is Gene's Sport Shop and they usually have whatever is available. Great people and great service. Stop in and see them. I'll post later if I find out what they have sometime this week.

MJ

Isn't Gene's on the corner in an older building next to the liquor store? I'm a landmark driver, but it's kind of a stretch to call a liquor store a landmark.

Thanks for the responses - we'll be armed with shiners and fatheads for sure.

Have people had success early season with plastics like Gulp minnows, or do the wallys generally hold out for the real thing?

Gene's is across the street from the liquor store! I agree with MJ Catfish--these guys are great to work with!

Yeah, Gene's, that's it. Good people. Last June, no one in the area had Red Tails, and the leeches were all tiny. We stopped in at Gene's (our favorite spot in Perham - we aren't coming up to the area this year though), and they had a large supply of Red Tails, good sized regular leeches and the massive Jumbo leeches.