• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rainy Lake trip on 6/17-6/25

If you all don't mind my first post being a search for information, let me pick your brains for a few sentences.

Three of us and our 8 year old sons are coming up to Rainy on the above dates, I have fished there twice before, in the late 90's. I mostly fished Black Bay for walleye and the brules area for smallies. We had no kids with us on those trips.

All of our sons are fairly decent fishermen for their ages. They can all handle a spinning rod and reel with no problem. We will probably mostly cast/troll shad raps or similar lures for walleye as the boys like the constant movement and none of them like to vertical jig much.

I can't remember what size and what color lures we used the last time I was up there.

Any help would be appreciated.....and if you see a 20ft. SeaArk with a 115 Suzuki that looks like it is only manned by 8 year old boys.....don't worry, we'll be on the deck hiding from the back casts. grin.gif

Thanks.

Soupy

I'm afraid I can't offer any advise on lurers, but I can certainly applaud you for "making a memory" with your boys. I hope you have a blast . . . catch boat loads of fish, and that the trip is something they will always fondly remember.

Rick, I appreciate it. Anymore, he's my main fishing partner. If I go, he goes, unless school gets in the way, and we've ditched that a time or two for a really good bite.

This will be his first extended trip away from home and it's all he can talk about. Seeing him as excited as he is makes it even better for me, I couldn't imagine going without him. I hope we catch alot of fish as well, but the kid just truly enjoys being on the water, I'm a lucky guy.

Now, I'd be more lucky if one of you Rainy experts would cut my learning curve a bit on lures, sizes, and colors. Like I said, we'll fish mostly with crankbaits.....and live with the results.

Thanks again.

Soupy

The most productive lure for me on Rainy has always been Rapala Jointed Shad Raps, size 5 and specifically the blue top with orange bottom. I take my boys up there every summer and they catch fish with the shad raps as it's a simple lure to use.

I also have good results on Rapala Husky Jerks size 10. Another color scheme that seems to produce well on Rainy is fire tiger.

Other ones you may want to try are green or silver Red Eye spoons, medium size Mepps spinners.

I fished Rainy for a week with a guy who had nothing but 99 cent K-mart spinners that looked like they'd only work for crappie but I think he caught more smallys than anyone else just by casting right to the shoreline. I guess this proves you really can't go wrong. Have a great trip!

I have had good luck with fire tiger rattle Raps you can catch anything on them and Shad Raps. Have a great trip!

Dasfooter

HI SOUPY,

WELCOME TO FISHING MN.COM & THE RAINY LAKE FORUM!!! IF YOU REALLY WANT THOSE 8 YEAR OLDS TO CATCH FISH, I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST BRINGING A 30# ANCHOR, AND A 100 FOOT ROPE, ANCHOR ON THE EDGE OF A REEF, THAT DROPS FROM 20' TO 40', YOU MAY BE SURPRISED HOW MANY FISH YOU CATCH. YOU CAN FISH LINDY RIGS, JIGS, ETC. THIS ALSO WILL GIVE THE ADULTS A BETTER CHANCE TO ACTUALLY FISH, AND NOT WORRY ABOUT TANGLED LINES, BOAT CONTROL,ETC.... WHEN I HAVE KIDS IN THE BOAT, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY I FISH!!! TRY IT, YOU MAY BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED!!!

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

Fishmeister, I appreciate the advice, really, I do. But I've caught alot of fish in my life, and these days I get more enjoyment out of watching my kid fish then I do catching any of my own. The truth is, I don't have to pick up a rod all week and I'll have the time of my life with my son. The other guys I'm coming with feel the same, or we wouldn't be making the trip together.

The boys like to cast and retrieve...maybe one day they'll care that they can catch more fish another way, but now ain't that time.

I'm still looking for advice on crankbaits for the boys, and I appreciate the advice so far.

We'll stop by your shop Fishmeister, and you can have a look at the craziest, fishingest 7 and 8 year old boys you ever laid eyes on......and you'll smile for thinking they'd ever stand for sitting and jigging. grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks again fellas, more advice is welcome.

Soupy

soupy-

i know exactly what you're saying. i've been fishing rainy since i was 9 years old. and back then i was labeled the "mad caster." my grandpa would drop me off on an island i could walk around and cast off of when he wanted to knock-down a few walleye. other than that it was cast, cast, cast!! back then, dare devils, beetle spins, sonics, countdowns, etc. was the ticket. and almost 30 years later i still like to cast, just not as much. anyways. FOR ME, if i had to choose a few lures to use exclusively on rainy, they'd be #5 mepps for shallow pike, 5 of diamonds spoons (3" or so), a top water frog for evenings in pike bays with the right weather conditions, rattle raps (i've actually had days targeting and catching fish where this is the only bait i've used), shad raps size 5 and up depanding on what you're targeting. and husky jerks. perch and chartruse colors have always been my favorite for plugs. if you find weed beds leading into drop offs, it would be a good time for the boys to learn the jig casting method - 1/4 oz. or so, tipped with a minnow, rod in the air, and worked back to the boat. if you're in the right spot, especially at that time of year, you can slay-em' that way. good luck.......

Thanks Slotfish, that's what I'm looking for. And I agree that we may get the boys casting some jigs as you described on this trip.

But then, it's kind of up to the boys. I've got a kid that will stay on the water for hours on end without ever complaining, or even catching a fish, but I found that I need to let him dictate mostly how he fishes and what he uses....with some general steering on my part. After all, if he's with me fishing, it's his day.

The kid already has a 7.2 lb. largemouth and a 4 lb. rainbow trout in his resume, and I'm guessing he's caught well over 500 fish in his short "career". It ain't easy to knock a kid off of something that he feels works good for him, especially if he's having fun. That's the name of the game....right?

Soupy

HI SOUPY,

I'M NO LONGER EMPLOYED THERE, AS I'M OPENING A RESTAURANT IN A FEW MONTHS, ACTUALLY WORKING FOR THE D.N.R. AT PRESENT.

MY BOY WAS THE SAME WAY, WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER, HE ALSO LOVED TO CAST, SO I WOULD BRING HIM INTO SOME CANADIAN LAKES, WHERE HE COULD CATCH 1 FISH AFTER ANOTHER., BUT THEN I TAUGHT HIM TO CRAPPIE FISH, WHICH HE LOVED, THEN WE STARTED TO FISH WALLEYES, THEN HE FELL IN LOVE....WELL LETS JUST SAY FISHING IS IN HIS BLOOD. HE'S GRADUATING ON MAY 26TH. MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

SINCERELY,

FISHMIESTER

Well congratulations on getting him that far FishMiester....I've got a 26 year old, a 23 year old, a 21 year old, and twin 4 year olds on top of the little fishing guy. Some liked fishing and some didn't, and I can't say about the twins yet. Maybe I just haven't had the nerve to let those two wreckers in the boat with me. grin.gif

Graduations are big deals, enjoy it.

Soupy