• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

loading crooked

zepman

Question

I bought a new boat this spring and am having some difficulties loading the boat onto the trailer straight or should I say even. It's an 18ft. crestliner and an E-Z loader roller trailer. It's loading low on the drivers side and high on the passenger side. Have talked to a few generous people at the local ramps who have been kind enough to help me get it on straight and they have all told me the same thing. They say they think my rear rollers aren't wide enough. My question is this: why, if my rear rollers were further apart would that help me in any way. I've measured both front and rear rollers and they equal distances from mid-point and my boat is not "heavy" on one side. Have also tried rear rollers in the water-out of water -and everywhere inbetween. If anyone could explain why widening my rollers might help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You.

19 answers to this question

I would work on different ways to load the boat before I would even think of adjusting the trailer.

My guess is you have the trailer in too deep. If the trailer is not too deep, and you hit the trailer on center heading forward .. you should end up strait and level every time. If the trailer is too deep, its easy to get a little off center.

I assume your boat is a side console. In this case your weight on right side has boat load crooked.

You might want to listen to FisherDave.

I have a Lund 17'6" with the same trailer. Same problem. I've noticed that with this trailer, the trailer needs to be perfectly even while in the water, otherwise the boat floats around while pulling the boat out of the water. (It even does this when there is nobody in the boat. I've thought about mounting some sort of guides (not sure about rollers or just tubing) in the back to prevent it from shifting around.

Zep, are the rollers the same height. When I first got my rig I kept having the same problem. I finally measured the height of each roller and one was higher then the other, throwing the boat to one side. I simply matched them up and haven't had a problem since. Also, load it with just the back rollers in the water whenever possible.

zepman,

I have an Alumacraft 175CS and an EZ Loader roller trailer. I found it to be nearly impossible to get the boat centered on the trailer. I've tried backing the trailer in at varying depths, but that didn't seem to help. I think it has more to do with uneven weight than anything else. So, last weekend I installed roller guides on the side of the trailer. I've only loaded it a couple times, but they seem to do the trick. grin.gif

I had a boat that did the same thing when I was driving it on. The best way of fixing the problem was once you have the boat seated on the rollers somewhat stand up in the center of the boat and rock it side to side a little to help level it on the rollers. Of course the back of the boat would have to be in the water floating a little to do this. This technique will take some practice and might not work at every landing.

It worked for me. smirk.gif

I occasionally had problems loading evenly with my Crestliner on a Shorelandr. Sometimes it would be nice and even, other times uneven and off to one side towards the back. After a few years I finally figured it out. If one wheel is lower than the other (meaning the ramp is slanted to one side) the boat will load uneven. To solve the problem I just back the trailer in a little crooked if the ramp is uneven. This puts one wheel farther into the water but essentially leveling the trailer. Not sure if this will solve the EZ Loader problem, but it’s something to consider.

I have a Lund 18 Fisherman. I have found it loads best if I leave it about 6 inches away from the front pad when I crank it up. Pull it out of the water and then finish titening it up. When you titen it up in the water it sometimes will not allow it to center itself on the trailer. When it gets pulled out it will usually center itself better. Might be worth a try.

I have/did have the same exact problem. Like Valv said, it is a weight distribution problem, not the trailer. If you have your batteries on the same side as your console or on the same side you sit on, it will dip to that side. It will do this even if the trailer is perfectly level.

I ended up moving all the batteries to the opposite side of where I sat and it helped a ton. Only problem now is if I have a full livewell, it will load low on that side since that is the same side with my batts.

Giant Jackpot is correct! After 25 years of laughing at the people on the launch next door I have learned most boats float level, so your trailer needs to be level when the boat is loaded, because it will come out of the water in the same way it entered the trailer. Most roller trailers are also set up to center the boat as it loads but it only works if the trailer is not too deep. Not to hard once you get the basics.

Hitthebricks, I am not arguing with you, just wanted you to know if you have a house next to a landing you should host a FM party on a weekend. That's gotta be the best. Sitting watching the mess at the landing. To top the deal you have to live on Minnetonka......that would be sweet, seeing these 30footers being launched the first time. grin.gifgrin.gif

don't live there any longer but Big Marine was a lot of fun as a kid. My parents are still there but thats their place and they are getting older, and I do love to visit.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, it looks as though I'm not the only one having or have had problems with this. I'm going to check the roller height and try at a few different landings and make sure that the trailer is level befor loading. I have only landed at one landing so far and it could very well be that i'm not "true" sitting in the water. I do believe it is not a weight issue on the boat. I have an 1850 fishhawk and it is a dual console. Batteries are centrally stored beneath deck. Center fuel storage. Starting battery is on drivers side but balanced out by anchor, and most of my equip. on passenger side storage. Will keep trying. I guess the reason I thought it had something to do with the rollers and their placement was because it loads the same every time. Exactly off by the same distance-same side. keep the advice comming and thanks alot.

The boat probably floats level with you out of it.. then gets the lean going just enough with you in it to add to your difficulties.

If this is the case, and you are having a heck of a time in the future, maybe you could just fill the livewell to help level it out for loading and see if that helps.

Usually if there's a will, theres a way. I have no doubt with a little variation, your going to find something that works well for you, and yor future loading problems will be eliminated. I know I have my best luck loading with the rollers sticking out of the water just a hair, this will vary from boat to boat with how deep it drafts. I dont need my trailer in any deeper than a safe depth for the lower unit(shallow drafting boat), in your case you probably have the aid of tilt and trim... I dont mean you want the trailer so shallow the boat will have to point at the moon before it levels out on the trailer.

I have 17.5 ft double counsel. Original trailer was an easy loader and always loaded perfect. I replaced trailer with a new easy loader and the same boat will not load perfectly centered. All rollers have been measured by many people and has been back to the dealer a few times. Still will not center. I do not think the weight distribution is an issue as the same boat worked great on the original trailer. We have gone through many cases of beer trying to figure this out and I still go down the road with a tilted boat.

I have a Lund 1700 Fisherman on a Karavan trailer. I had a lot of trouble loading it strate untill I raised the rollers abought 2". Now it works great.

I don't have any idea if this will work on a roller trailer or not but I have a bunk trailer and can never seem to get it on centered. I have found that if I crank the motor to one side or the other (which ever direction I need to go) and rev the engine it centers up just fine. Like I said I don't know if this will work on a roller trailer.

Ole

Been having a similiar problem. Had a Lund boat and Shorelander trailer and they worked excellent. Traded for an Alumacraft and can't for the life of me get it to load right. Thanks to this forum I now have some new ideas. Just when I thought I had the ultimate answer.....leave the trailer strapped on the boat and simply unhook it from my truck. smile.gif

Had the same situation with 2 differant rigs, both roller trailers. After years of trailering crooked boats a few words from a fella watching me trailer solved my crookedness. He suggested I not back the trailer to far into the water. The water level on the trailer tires is now how I gauge the tralering process. If I'm in to deep I'm crooked. Find the sweet spot. It works for me wink.gif

Good Luck...