• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

no water coming out of outboard motor.

CALVINIST

Question

I have a friend who has a boat and outboard motor. I know that water usually cycles through and comes out in a little stream, but none is coming out. confused.gif Is this an impeller problem?

Thanks

17 answers to this question

If the impeller has never been changed on the motor (or he can't remember when the last time it was changed) that would be the logical place to begin. If the impeller is pretty much "non-existant" you may run into the issue of piece of it blocking the flow of the water within the motor. (I ran into that the last time with my motor and it is a bit of a headache)

Thanks

Steve

What make, year and hp is it?? the reason I ask is, I have a 175 Merc. and there's a thermostat in it so it doesn't pee out the indicator hole until the motor warms up and the thermostat opens.

Ole

well I don't know really what year it is, but it's a 18hp Evinrude. I think it might be in between 1960-1970 somewhere around there.

Thanks

Hey thanks for getting back. So do you think that changing it yourself would be something hard to do? I have some knowledge of car engines but I know that it's somewhat different. Do you recommend me changing it myself or should it be brougth to a mechanic?

Thanks.

You can also try putting a pipe cleaner or a thin piece of wire (I've used a hook from a jig) through where the water should be streaming. This can clear out anything if it's being blocked. Obviously, it works best if you're on the water or hooked up with a garden hose. It may be that simple.

That size motor should pee as soon as it's running, either the indicator tube is plugged as someone else suggested or the impellor is shot.

Ole

thanks for the info I'll have to check it out.

I have an older 28HP Evinrude that I didn't see pee all last year. Little mist out the exhaust port, but that's it.

This year, I ran wide open for fifteen or twenty minutes up the river (against a 4mph spring current) and it started peeing! Only does it when its hot, that I've noticed. Might have just needed a good long run to flush it out, too. I'm not really sure smile.gif

-r-

Ole 1855,

I have a 2002 Merc 125 and I notice that when I start it in the spring using muffs that it takes a minute or so for the water to start coming out. You think mine has this thermostat that your talking about? I always wondered why it took so long.

Thanks in advance,

Yukon Don

Yukon,

I'm not an expert on Merc's by any means, in fact the first one I've owned I bought last year but here's my experience. I bought a boat from a guy last spring, when I went to pick it up I asked that he have the muffs on it so I can see it run. When we fired it up nothing was coming out the indicator, after about a minute we shut it off. The guy I bought it from called his Uncle and asked what we should do, his Uncle came over and asked how long we had run the motor, we said about 1 minute, his response was, that's not long enough to get the thermostat warmed up. We started it and it ran for about 3-4 minutes before the stream came out, that was kind of a nerve wracking time, I really wanted this boat but not with a fried motor, everything was fine though. If I were you I'd check with a Merc. dealer just to be sure it has a thermostat before you run your motor too long.

Ole

I've had this and its was the plugged indicator is all. (Merc 40 by the way). That indicator is just that, an indicator and not really doing anything. If the motor isn't overheating then you have water circulating/cooling and most likely its just the indicator is plugged. Even an old coat hanger will fix it...

Yukon Don, yes you have a tstat and it will pee after a while, then stop, then more again.

An older motor like that should pee all the times, but are you shure it has a pee hole ? Many didn't have it in these years, you can see water coming out the upper water hole on back of motor.

If you have a motor that does not have a tell tale (the Pee) take it in ASAP, it is not good especially if you have to rev up motor to make it pump, it means water pump has very little left of it. I know many will not listen, but only time will tell. Unfortunately it will be very expensive.

You can also touch heads of motor while running (be VERY CAREFUL !!!) and see if they are cold or hot, you will know the answer then.

I have a similar problem with my 40 horse nissan on my pontoon just steam seems to be coming out its about a 1989 should i try the hanger method i am not too mechancically efficient but i pretty sure this model wouldnt have the temp problems how much would the impeller run a guy if theat was the problem thanks

CALVANIST ...

that 60's model 18 hp (fastwin maybe?) will not have a stream, it will *spray* out the oval/teardrop hole on the back side of the lower unit below the power head.. its not going to be like a lawn sprinkler by any means, but there should be a noticable amount of spray coming out the back.

If your mechanicaly inclined at all.. impellers are pretty easy to replace, and they are a lot cheaper than a new motor... when/if you change the impeller, run some pipe cleaner, or small diameter wire through the water inlet/outlet(with some care) to be sure there is no debris. Sometimes the impellers look like there in decent shape, but wont pump water.

I just bought a new propeller for my motor last week. I dont know if the make and model of the motor matters, but it was only $15.00 to get it.

Just a little tip for you smaller outboard guys. I run my 25 hp in the swamps all year round and I always have a 2 ft long section of "weed whacker line" that I use to put up the pee hole when it gets clogged. It will not tear any hoses or plastic, and you can work it around corners and way up the hose if needed. If hose is clear but motor is still not peeing follow the hose all the way to were it goes into the motor. You can pull the hose off the motor and insert "weed whacker line" into the motor. I also switched my water exhaust hose from the factory black hose to a clear hose.

Hope that helps solve possible future problems for someone.

fishin58 - for what it's worth I have an '89 Nissan 70hp and the motor's water stream starts shooting right away after it's turned on; has never needed to warm up.

DB