• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

crappies!

crappiescout

4 of us went out last night on one of the most beautiful days of the year the lake was like glass all day, we ended up with 37 crappies we could have filled out but we left before dark. The water temp was about 54 degrees and should only get warmer and warmer as long as this warm weather continues to stay.

crappieSCOUT

www.bearpawguides.com

Sounds like it was fun! I will make it up there either this Saturday or Next Saturday, wich ever looks better weather wise. smirk.gif Just curious, where did you go out of and at what depths were you catchin' all them slabs?

CatManLee I launch out of the tamarac but West Wind has a very nice access to go out of also. The crappies now are shallow so you can catch them anywhere from 3.5 feet to 6.5 feet. Just move and try new spots, if you catch one their probably will be more so anchor and work it.

crappieSCOUT

www.bearpawguides.com

I just got back with two guys and just finished cleaning slabs. We launched from Roger's Campground and did very well on the South shore despite the wind and spots of rain. 4-6 feet using a slip float and a Flu Flu tipped with a crappie minnow. Looks like they'll stay up and maybe even get to spawn if the weather holds!

Hey Matt & fellow FM'ers,

We'll be up to Red Friday morning around 10:00am. Only fished open water on Red once before and we launched at the Tamarac (pretty crowded). Did great on the crappies, but the congestion on the river at the launch was a bit rough. We're thinking paying the fee to avoid the jam is probably the way to go. Do you know if Rogers and the other resorts get as busy day before opener? And what do they typically charge to launch and park? Thanks for the info, and hope them crappies are still hangin' around where you guys left them on the south end. Good fishing all!

Slapper out

I would say that the Tamarac will be busier than heck, and will be full pretty early.

West Wind has an access, and I have no idea how busy that'll be.

Roger's has a ton of parking, but may be busy as well.

Expect to pay around $5. Good luck!

Matt do you have to go far out to catch them, we are planning on being there before sunrise Sat. a.m. and have never fished Red on open water. We have a 20' boat and need a good launch. Also do you think the bait station in Waukesh will be open early Sat. a.m. or would you bring your own bait and tackle supply just incase?

Open water I always pick up my bait at Bluewater Bait here in Bemidji before I head to Waskish. It's just easier having it in the boat and ready to go!

As for how far out, many people catch fish right in-front of Shotley Brook, in-front of the Tamarac, otherwise down either shoreline is fine or in fornt of any of the ditches.

Most launch's are fine for a 20 footer. There were a few Ranger 20's out there on Sat.

Bluewater will be open ALL night Friday. Stop and get your bait there to be safe.

Stop in at West Winds for a burger after you fish though, so that you drop a few bucks in the local economy.

Have a great time, you'll hammer em!!

ROSCO-

I'm not sure what way you are heading up to URL, but in the winter I like to stop at the Shell gas station in Blackduck (Timberline Sports I think its called)- If I can't stop there, Dr. Tackle in Kelliher is my next stop (not sure about summer hours)- and then Hillman's, Hudec's, or Roger's will have a small selection of lures and a good tank of crappie minnows available I would assume.

I would like to add that spring fishing up there isn't my specialty so I'm not sure on the hours and availability of bait at these locations. I will add that they have been very dependable over the winter months though.

ditto on the shell station. That is also a regular stop on our trips up there. If it is the one I am thinking of, I dont know many places with a better selection than they have.

Just got back from URL a few minutes ago and we hit the mother load. we started at 9am and were off the lake at 1pm. we released 20 or so slabs and kept our 30. i bet the three of us caught 75 walleyes. they look skinny. we also got about a dozen sheephead. it was windy and a bit rainy from time to time and the fish were on. when ever someone moved in on us we just moved outselfs and it was the same all over. we fished the south shore and it was the same all over. thanks to all of you who helped me get pointed in the right direction.