• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

vest

Walleyeguy31

Where can a guy get the best deal on a fishing vest and what is the best brand to purchase?

I would start at a store. wink.gif (kidding)

Cabelas, Gander...they'll have good, affordable vests for a beginner. I use a cheap vest and I haven't had any issues aside from getting too warm in July and August.

The best? Simms...but I need my arm and leg for fishing.

Orvis has good vests and chest packs that are more "open-air" and work great without a lot of bulk. They'll run around $60-$100.

Check out Cabela's Bargain Cave. I just bought a Three Forks from them I believe it was $35 normally $50

Gander has vest starting at $20. Bought one there last week

Consider a pack as well. Once it gets hot, I shed the vest and fish with a pack (complete with hydration bladder). I like it since it has forced me to downsize what I carry on the stream, it's light, and very inexpensive.

Google the Backcountry outlet. They have some CamelBack Hydration packs for like over 50% off. Should point out this is like $22

all good advice. Also try Sierra Trading Post at that.com. I advice simple and small--more pockets, more crap; more crap, more weight; more weight, less fun and more back pain. I just fish my hat--half a dozen flies and a spool of tippet in my pocket. But that's for smallies, they're simple-minded.

ice

although an orvis rod is a bit out of my price range at this point in time, i reccomend their vests strongly. i have a down insulated vest and then a lightweight breathable and love them both. the insulated one ran about 130$ and the light-weight was 70$ and i couldn't be any happier with a vest.

I've got a cheapie Gander vest with a zip-off creel. It's great for those summer days when I need more than one fly box and tippet spool. I can sling it Rambo-style and never run out of ammo. The durability leaves something to be desired but if it doesn't have holes, it's too good for fishing clothes. Not sure if they still sell them; count me in the minimalist camp.