• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Is FM a Message Board or a BLOG????

Mark Christianson

OK, the dope in the cube next to me at work is asking me if FM is a BLOG or a Message Board.

We went to the extent to look up the differences on the internet, and we are no closer to figuring out what FM is....

I don't want to be considered a Blogger. Sounds to "you know what". grin.gif

Please clarify for us. We are stumped.

Fm is a high speed, high tech source for the absolute best in fishing information.

A message board is a chit chat channel for those who think they know how to fish but cannot communicate without using those little gremlins. (And there are sites like that!).

A blogger is someone who worries more about what the fish do in the water than someone who worrie about what the water is doing to the fish. Bloggers also cannot figure out how to put the gremlins in place and, by nature, get placed at the bottom of the heap in this on-line jungle.

I'm still trying to figure out what a Blog is confused.gif

I read about em' somewhere before, to much work to read....so I picked up a fishing rod and reel cool.gif

A blog is a shortened term for web log. Kind of a daily electronic journal or diary. Forums and message boards are actually pretty similar. Forums have a fancier look to them and are usually moderated.

Now to completely blow your mind. If you have a blog, and let anyone post additions and corrections to it, it then becomes a wiki! grin.gif

Not my place to define it exactly but for me FM is a interactive research tool.

Having some problems with your equipment search or post a question you'll get advice. Want to try something new? Guys who have done it will get you started. Really this is an amazing tool for real time information. Sure sometimes it's a bit opinionated but these are real people who have a passion for the pasttime of fishing so sort it out and you will find a wealth of information.

FM is also a BIG time advertising tool for guides (aka-pro staff) and tackle manufacturing companies. There is a lot of money being made off of this web site. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

[Note from Rick: muskybuck, you couldn't be more wrong with your assumption. I wish you were right in some respects, especially the big time money maker part. As for the guides as Pro Staff, most Pro Staff are not guides at all]

Muskbuck I must respectfully disagree. FM is a tremendous source of information and an outlet for fellow fisher-people to share information. Believe me the time that it requires to run and manage a board like this are far more then meets they eye. The "pro-staff" should be rewarded for the amount of time and effort that goes into keeping this place informational and fun for all without the dribble and garbage that is found on most other message boards. Is there $$ to be made? sure but I can promise you that if any of the moderators, admin or pro staff wanted to devote the amount of time to other things they would prove to be much more lucrative for them. I do not mean to rant and do respect your comments. FM is a message board and a darn good one at that. Just go visit some of the others and you will see what a "commercial" message board really is. Again just food for thought!!

While I do not disagree with it being a tremendous source of information, maybe too tremendous for some lakes, I would have to disagree that this site is not the most lucrative way for guides to get their names and info to tens, of tens of thousands of fisherpeople, country wide. This site is the best thing that ever happened to a lot of guides. I know of a couple people at least that would not be in the guide business if not for this site. I have seen their posts asking how to become a guide to now being one of the top guides on this site. I think it is kind of cool. But that is a fact.

MB-although you are correct that some of the prostaff are guides.. many of us are not. All the prostaff on this site are volunteer(IE, not getting paid) And its the prostaff that keep this forum family friendly. My hat is off to the Prostaff.

By FAR most of us are not guides.

I am just a computer networking guy, that tries to get outdoors whenever I can.... Thats it.

Sorry, didnt intend on my original post to go this direction. It was a legitimate question that some of us at work were pondering for the heck of it.

I am a guide and I haven't made a dime off this site. That's not why I'm here. Some of the guides here do advertise and even get bookings(God bless America) but I think you would have a hard time figuring out where I guide. I'm not here to promote my business. Most of the members here are at least average if not advanced anglers. Not really a guides bread and butter.

The reason I'm here is to learn and talk about fishing and hopfully share some information I may have. If anything this site has cost me money by making me go out and buy things that people I trust recommend. smile.gif

Deitz is right on the money, staffers are not paid and are donating alot of their time and expertise to help the rest of us, And I would like to thank them for that.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

muskybuck, First and foremost there has to be a need for a forum. In this case sharing information on Fishing and the Outdoors. How that site is run and its mission statement

#1: Having Fun

#2: Seeking and sharing knowledge

#3: The promotion of wise use of our natural resources

will bring quality members and staff. Once you've accomplished that the advertisers will come.

At no time will we ever loose focus on the what makes this site #1.

It's proof of the theory that the internet is an extension of our psychology.

I think it's a cool example of what the internet does--it stimulates and rewards our natural desire to be part of a community. It fulfills our need to connect. We want to contribute, and modern insulation between families and technology that keeps us from smelling each other has closed off some of the usual avenues of satisfaction for the basic need to sit around the fire and hobnob about where you bagged that last mastodon and what spear did you use, that long one with the cool new point shape? So we create these places, and some people put an extraordinary amount of time and energy into them for no visible return other than some information or connections to friendships. I did it for a long time when I was a guide, and it always seemed funny to me that I was spendign most of my energy on people who were very unlikely to hire me. Most of the people who tuned in were motivated do-it-yourselfers, the least likely folks to hire a guide, and I was educating them so they would need a guide even less. And liking it. The website I ran generated very few bookings, but I enjoyed it a lot.

That's what I think this site is.

ice

And to some - its just another regional website about fishing. It is what you want it to be.

To get a bit more specific...

A blog is just one persons thoughts, journaled on their own personal space. There is room for comments, but it's not really a tool for discussion. Some blogs are very fun to read, but the purpose they serve is drastically different from a forum. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

This is a forum. Plain and simple. It opens up discussions and thoughts from everyone.

Apples and oranges...

BLBa$$ I love the vid, is that you? wink.gif I am BL born and raised!!! Anyway, i have no idea what a BLOG is but i want to part of it. If FM is one of these BLOGs let's never speak of it again!!!

I agree with WxGuy, no way is this a Blog in my opinion. A message board? I think more appropriately it's a forum and I think there is a difference there too. grin.gif

Don't care if it's a BLOG or if guides are making a buck or the site is..This is by far the best fishing site around, if only the company I work for knew how much time I spend on here exchanging info and comparing notes. Thought about becoming a guide at one time and have done some for some co-workers but decided I didn't want my favorite pastime to become a job, wanted to keep it my past time.