• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's your favorite BWCA trip?

Deepdiver you could try Fall Lake into Pipestone Bay and camp out on the big hilltop site to the right of Hidden Bay. Great Campsite and good fishing right off your shore. Plus you can get into Pipestone in around 4 hours taking it easy and snacking.

Thanks for the info guys... Im going to be looking into some of those trips

Quote:

SCi-

Going to the eastern part of Crooked this year for the first time. Any pointers??? Where do you like to spend your time on Crooked and which way do you go in, (Horse,Wagosh,or Iron?) any knowledge on campsites in the wednesday bay area or table rock is very welcome!!

Keep your line tight,

Muddy

The eastern part is my favorite, although, the entire lake is absolutely beautiful. Seriously, you could go anywhere.

Wednesday, is absolutely awesome for smallmouth action. The water gets alot deeper in Thursday bay...I suspect that there may be lakers up there, but I've never fished them.

Friday Bay is classic walleye water. Lots of structure and mid level depths...Friday Bay is my first choice for walleyes in mid summer. Get a good map and a compass to find the structure.

Saturday Bay is very secluded and has lots of shallow water. Early in the season, before the vegetation rises, this bay is an absolute hotspot for northern pike. A 40 incher is not out of the question.

If you want more specific information let me know...

scifisher

I just got back home after the weekend trip in the BWCA. It was a great trip and the weather was far better than we could have asked for. I went as part of a class (easiest/best two credits ever) through LSC so our trip was fully outfitted. We started at Sawbill and were seemingly always on the move. The dehydrated food was a new experience but surprisingly full of flavor. Fishing season still isn't open yet but I tried for some perch only to play out a few pike...pretty fun on light tackle. The last night it rained and a tree split halfway up on it's way to the ground and dropped one half on each side of our intructors tent. He lucked out big time. It was also different going into the BWCA with unfamiliar faces instead of old buddies. Overall, good trip. Can't wait to get back in a few weeks.

Norhlander, we should meet up sometime and talk about your trip. Would like to get some more information and details about it, if you wouldnt mind.

• 2 weeks later...

gshaw,

Could you tell me a little bit about the wood lake area? We are leaving out of entry point 26 which is wood lake in the 2nd week of august. I really have my heart set on finding big pike. Any ideas?

If you want to catch some pike in the 12-20lb class, go to upper red lake anytime in the next few weeks, you can't miss.

I lived in Ely for 5 years, and some of the lakes just outside the BW are better for fishing, and quieter! They are kinda overlooked.

Good luck!

I've done the Wood Lake area the most. Have had sub-par fishing results the past couple years, but it's not the fishes' fault. Bad weather, time of year, that kind of thing. I've never hooked into monster pike there, but they're in abundance and put up a great fight. Usually by the time I hit the area (late May, early June) there's a lot of veggitation housing plenty of mid sized pike. Occasionally I would hook a great sized largemouth or smallie, with walleye more frequent than you'd think. I actually spent most of the time fishing and camping on Good Lake, there.

The portages in that area are relatively easy, though maybe kind of soupy early in the year, but by August should be alright. And again, the campsites are great.