• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What's your favorite BWCA trip?

I'm heading up to Sawbill/Alton with LSC this weekend and even though we won't be doing much fishing I'm really looking forward to it. I have been making it into the BWCA about 4-5 times each season for the past 5 years and was just wondering where everyone likes to go or what their favorite trip is. As far as Sawbill and Alton lakes go I'm seeing a huge decline in the fishing over the years or maybe my fishing is on the decline (doubt it). I like to go in to fish. Some guys are in it more for the camping. I just like the peace and quiet that you are afforded while on such a fishing trip. It's cake that you get to eat. It's so nice to get away and we're fortunate to have an area like the BWCA right out our back door. I'm just curious as to how many people realize and utilize this opportunity.

I have been going to the BWCAW for about ten years now and have been all over. My favorate trip is to put in at Snowbank and got through boot lake to Ima and then to thomas and alice.We usually go early in the season. Ima and thomas almost always produce lake trout and Big pike, walleyes are tough but tend to be big. Alice is good for walleyes. Boot lake right off snowbank produced the biggest smalie I have ever seen.

Good luck

I have never done it but would like to. What is a trip in the BWCA like? I guess you just get a canoe and start paddling until you want to camp. Do you have maps or do you use a GPS? How would I go about portaging enough beer for a 3 day trip? Is there any specific gear you need besides a canoe, tent, bag, and stove? Are the mosquitos terrible in the summer.

12#,

You might want to check out <www.bwca.cc> and then come back with any specific questions. (i.e.; stove types, gear info., fishing tatics,trip routes, etc.)

12lbs8oz last year my buddy and i decided to go to the gunflint trail and camp and fish. There are regulations on what you can and cant do for instance no cans of any kind and you can't show up canoe and stop and camp at a site you must get an overnight pass for that specific lake(stop at the dnr station in grand marais right before town). What I recommend is try to get an overnight pass and if you can't stay at the trails end campgrounds.. nice campsites and your equipment is right there and you then can day trip anywhere you want, given that you can get in and out in one day!! It is the most scenic area around and you won't be dissapointed.....Good Times

I know this isn't quite what you were looking for, but my favorite trip was the first time I went up there. I don't even know exactly where we went but it was great. I was about 19 and my older brother invited me to go with him. We did alright fishing, caught enough to eat, no trophies except some 12/13 inch bluegills.But the experience was unbelievable. 7 days and I think we seen 6 other people, (and 2 of them were women skinny dipping). All I know is I have to get back there, it's been too long.

Lived in Duluth 18 years now and my favorite lakes and N. and S. Hageman. You have to portage in 1/4 mile right away, but the campsites are great, the smallies are abundant, and the indian pictographs at the end of N. Hageman (right before the bog) are beautiful. Good luck on your teip!

Going up there at the end of the month with some friends. Beer is too much trouble. Bring a bottle. I guess the thing to do is bring a Nalgene (sp?) or somthing for your drinks, and some tea mix, to go with whatever you'd like. Beer, though always great, is too much work. My buddies said to definately bring a rain suit also. I just got a new one in the mail yesterday. Frogg Toggs. Super light, and packs really small. The thing is awesome! Can't wait, it should be a fun trip.

I love the Range Forum by the way. This forum looks like it gets the most use of all of them by far, with a lot of night owls like myself. I live about 1/2 hour west of Cook, and I want to thank all of you guys for the knowledge I've picked up over the last year and a half that I've lived up here.

Brandon

Favorite trip in the B-dub??? Tough, but If I had to pick just one it would have to probably be Iron lake. Enough of a poke to get rid of most of the swiss family robinsons' and well worth it for fishing, especially eyes early and both eyes and smallies in the later half of summer. Curtain Falls is stunning as is Rebecca. Hopefully, the trip I'am taking to the eastern part of Crooked replaces Iron as my favorite, we shall SEE!!!!

Muddy--

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

First trip to Brule lake was 35 years ago. Since then I've had some great memories of great and hard times in the BWCA.

Yes even the hardships endured on canoe trips in time become priceless memories to reflect upon.

Couldn't say which my favorite route is and some of them really meandered across canoe country. Snowbank-Thomas will give you that BWCA experience and makes a good 3 day weekend trip with enough time to devote to fishing.

For many years we have gone up to the top of the Arrowhead trail and camped on McFarlane. We go back into East Pike for SM bass and come back to walleye fish at dusk in McFarland if the weather is right we go into Pine for big walley's. Can't think of a better way to spend a week. Also a small trout lake off Pine that is a little work to get to but can be worth it. Good trip early summer and then late in the year. Got to beat the bugs..of course any trip with no phone and no cars is a good trip. And is there a better light show anywhere????

Wyld, would that be the trip I wasn't invited grin.gif

Outdoor Nut,

Are you guys still planning on heading up that way the weekend after operner?

If seeing topless women makes your top trip list that is almost common event in the BWCA My best was watching a work crew of women topless paddling past the point I was having shore lunch on. At what point to say hi or just stand and watch and keep your mouth shut wink.gif

There's definately something to be said for the beauty of the scenery in those parts blush.gif

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I think after a week in the BWCA they call that a Mirage.

I realize that this area is what most would call a paradise and I have never been up there to say otherwise, but I have a very tough time believing that topless women just paddle around up there. But if they do, how do I book my first trip???

I can not say for sure that they are just topless...I mean they are in a canoe and your vision is cutoff..... shocked.gif

Quote:

I think after a week in the BWCA they call that a Mirage.

Or a heavenly blessing smirk.gif

{note from admin: kevheads no unauthorized link allowed)

That would be great. Like the time the Swedish Bikini Team stopped at our site on Basswood and chopped all my firewood, got us fresh water, caught and cleaned our dinner and each one gave me a "Backrub". grin.gif That was a good night! grin.gif

Just had to comment on the naked girs part. I have all so seen naked women in the bdubs. About 12 trips 3 naked ladies. For consistant naked women bring your wife, or just stay home. Go to the bdubs to fish!

I've seen some of the "women of the wilderness" groups before and or after their trips. I might be getting older but I'd rather keep my eye on the depth finder. We are not talking Swedish bikini team here, at least on this end of the Bdub. They must be going through the Ely entery points.

My favorite B-dub trips are with the better half left at home. Gunflint- I concur. The groups of "women" I've seen in the b-dub look like they have played 15 years in the NHL, without a helmet. Every once in awhile you will run across a few that are OK, but I'd rather look for blips on the finder than bumps under a shirt.

15 years in the NHL .....must have some good legs! er sorry about that, has nothing to do with fishing... grin.gif

Just from reading some of your post, (besides the naked women) I think it would be awsome to head up to the BWCA. Checking out some of the other websites that have lots of information but nothing beats personal advice. Anyone want to recommend an easy/moderate BWCA trip (3-4 days) mostly for the view but for some fishing as well.

Sounds from some of you, if you head up there once youll do it for a lifetime.

I recommend the Wood Lake area, or the Gabbro/Isabella Lake area. Great scenery, near-perfect campsites, a few easy portages on each route, and decent fishing (depending on the weather). I have friend who lives in Ely and it's nothing to drive 20min. to an entry point. We're usually out for 4 days, which is a good amount of time to get to know the chain of water that you're on specifically.

A good easy/moderate 3-4 day trip would be gunflint lake to the seagull river. You paddle from Gunflint down the pine river and int sag and through to the seagull river acess. Make sure to bring good mas and a cumpass for sag, the many islands can get confusing.

Quote:

My favorite B-dub trips are with the better half left at home. Gunflint- I concur. The groups of "women" I've seen in the b-dub look like they have played 15 years in the NHL, without a helmet. Every once in awhile you will run across a few that are OK, but I'd rather look for blips on the finder than bumps under a shirt.

Well, I've seen some scenes that would shift your attention to the bumps...this is a family forum, though, so you'll just have to use your imagination wink.gif

My favorite trip is the one up to Crooked Lake. It's my personal Valhalla. I'm going three times this year!

scifisher

SCi-

Going to the eastern part of Crooked this year for the first time. Any pointers??? Where do you like to spend your time on Crooked and which way do you go in, (Horse,Wagosh,or Iron?) any knowledge on campsites in the wednesday bay area or table rock is very welcome!!

Keep your line tight,

Muddy