• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hi, just looking for information on lakes in this area. I've never fished this area before, just curious how the openers have been in the past. Just looking to catch fish weather it's crappie or pike and walleye. Don't keep to many fish, just love catching them. Any suggestion. Will be in the area for the opener.

MikeB

If you just like to catch fish, Norway is filled with sheepshead. They're still fun! I've never fished Green, butI've done well with early season bass on Norway. Mainly on spinnerbaits and plastic worms. I've caught some walleye on Lindy rigs and crawlers--decent sized, too. Lots of northerns that can be caught on just about anything. I hope you get some other responses because I'd like to know how others get it done on Norway. I'll post my catchings thoroughout the summer.

You said you'll be in the area for opener. I'll assume that you are talking walleye/northern opener.

Green does have fish, but you really need to know the lake or you'll be searching all day....and night for that matter.

Norway can be good for the eyes if you can fish (troll) the shallows at dusk. That's what works for me IMO.

Nest is good for just about everything. Eyes, pike, bass, sunnies, crappies, and so on. The panfish can be found in the shallow parts of the lake. I just fish the bay on the east side of the lake if I'm looking for them. Walleyes and pike can be found off of the bars in the main lake and/or around the islands.

Calhoun is good for pike and more pike. They are pretty much everywhere. It is a real shallow lake that doesn't get a lot of pressure. It can also be good for bass after bass opener.

Andrew is another good "all around lake" I've had success with pretty much all types of fish there. Just fish the shallows. Start at one side of the lake and spend the day working all the way around. Believe me you'll find fish.

Big Kandi is pretty good for walleyes. It is getting better each year. The numbers and size are slowly increasing. If you want to hook into a catfish or carp check this lake out. It can be a blast!

Ringo is pretty much a hit and miss lake...unless you know some key areas wink.gif

Willmar/Foot Lakes both have there moments. They can be good for just about anything, its just that timing is everything. If the time isn't right you'll sit out there all day.

These are just a few of the lakes that I fish on a regular basis. Other people will probably give you more info or tell you that I'm way off. But, this is what has worked for me in the past. The biggest thing is to decide on a lake and find yourslf a good lake map. Figure what type of fish you are after, study it, and then put your knowledge and skills to the test.

Good Luck, LEECH21

Leech21 thanks for the info. I've never fished this area. My dad and his parents did when he was younger, then I think Norway froze out. Kinda thinking about trying Andrew. Sounds like you can catchem all day long. Don't care about keeping much if any, just want action.

thanks

MikeB

MikeB Norway Lake has not ever froze out. I know the northern fishing had been poor due to overharast. I have fished norway for 20 plus years. The walleye fishing is real good if you know where to look. I have caught many walleyes some places are great for casting rapalas, others work lindy rigs, and other areas jig w/ leech or crawler.

Walleye can be shallow 2-3ft or deep 15-19ft.

Hey, my bad it must have been some other lake I was thinking of. I can't remember which lake I was told froze out then. Anyways, thanks for the info on the lake. I'm really looking forward to the opener. What's the forcast look like for mid to northern minnesota for the next week?

MikeB

Mike If your fishing Norway for the opener, I would troll a #7 firetiger shad, maybe even a #5. For lindy rigging 3ft snell with a small bead and leech. Or a spinner rig with a crawler. Rigging in 14 to 19ft. If you fish the western lake, #5 shad, or spinner rig/crawler lite weight sinker.

Bobber the rock piles.

jigginjim,

I am going out to norway for an annual trip with me and some buddies who are more interested in sitting at the cabin and drinking at dusk and dawn than they are putting in some quality fishing time. Anyhow, I typically end up on the boat by myself while they tip em' back at the cabin, the main problem is we have only been doing this for a couple years and I usually come back skunked because I have know idea where to find the walleyes. Are the fish really 14-19ft deep on that lake right now? Any tips on landmarks or general areas to start looking would be great too. I dont expect your secret spot or anything but if you could help me save some face this year by helping me pull up to the dock with a walleye or two instead of sheephead, that would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for any info gentlemen.

Crappeye, go to the left of the boat ramp on norway. That is a long rock bar, back troll leeches just outside the weedline, it has always given up a few nice fish. Also you can head for the bay where the channel is. Troll that bay, with deep shads, lindy rigs and also spinners, if the sheephead are in there head to little norway. same thing.

Troll shads #5 firetiger, then perch.

You can also try cast shads on that long rock bar. Watch the wind and the rocks, but you may find some really nice eyes on there.

go for reall fish bull heads rule al and so do carp now those are the fish to fish for

thanks for the advice jigginjim, unfortuneately i'll have to wait untill next year to try it out. The bad weather and drinking kept me off the lake. People must have been doin alright though because there was atleast fifty boats out there on sat and sun, unless they were just catchin bottle bass like me.

crappeye, I was fishing saturday at 00:01 am. Caught my first walleye at 00:07 am a nice 19" walleye, 00:53am other walleye volunteered for the fish fry a dandy 23". normal i would have released that size, to keep good spawners in the lake. But mother-in-law just got back from AZ., and wanted fish, so best to keep her calmed down. Good luck next time

Where are the bass going to be found this weekend? Well, hopefully on the end of my line, but where will you guys be fishing them on Games and Norway?

Just throw spinnerbaits in the shallows you should catch a bunch. I'm tarteging them yet. Too cold of water, they have not spawned yet! But, then i don't keep bass anymore. fun to catch but walleyes and panfish make better meals.

That is the usual plan, just seeing what else people were doing. I don't generally keep bass, either. They're way more fun to catch, photograph, then let go!

I'll fish green if possilbe more of those brown bass.

more fight also.