• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

non spawning walleyes

Here's one I've had on my mind for a bit:

I've heard people claim that the natural reproduction cycle of walleyes in many of the metro area lakes is non existent. If that's the case, will these non spawning walleyes follow that same patterns as if they were "spawners"? Do they just go through the motions and hang out where they "should" be, but just not complete the spawning ritual?? Or, are the non spawners hanging out in non traditional early season locations since their instinctual urges don't perhaps exist??

Good question. I know that smallies in rivers are often denied good spawning conditions--high water, low water, cold water, etc.--and in that case they behave differently and in some cases just reabsorb the eggs, in others they'll just wait for good conditions and spawn later. I'd guess that the spawning instinct is strong so the fish will find likely habitat and do their best, and that the lack of natural reproduction in lakes is due to the lake's conditions, not the behavior of the fish.

ice

They will spawn in the best place they can find. The egg hatch rate is greatly reduced because the conditions aren't right. It takes a lot of eyes/walleye fry to get to one 12" walleye because of natural predation etc so anything that reduces the hatch rate results in non-reproducing water.

ok, so maybe I misunderstood the concept.

The natural spawning activity is alive and kicking in these lakes, but the actual success rate or reproduction is very low. That makes sense..

That's what the DNR guy told me regarding Minnetonka and it makes sense. If I remember it right walleye eggs need a lot of oxygen and tumbling around - it's why they spawn on gravel or rock in rivers and lakes. Just not enough of the right areas in Metro lakes for walleyes to be self sustaining. Try to think of any metro lake whose shallow water isn't covered with weeds or that has expansive weedfree midlake rock humps.

Mark hit the nail on the head. A good majority of metro lakes don't have adequate spawing areas. The Walleye's in these lakes will still try to spawn, look for feeder creeks or any shallow moving water. Ebass, some of Ebass' friends, and I watched the Walleye's make a spawning run last spring in a metro feeder creek. I found them again this year, but they were much further upstream than last year.

MedMan, we were wondering if you checked them out this year. Glad to know they are trying and that does seem like a good area. You must've told the DNR right? They are reproducing, right? Or just going through the motions?

Can a walleye spawn successful in a lake or must it be in a feeder creek. I'm thinking of Mille Lacs since it's a walleye factory. I know there are a lot of feeder creeks that run into Mille Lacs, but can they spawn on a rocky shoreline? Just wondering, this is interesting since I have witnessed them doing the deed before. OK maybe not doing the deed, but making a run up stream in schools.

mille lacs has enough wave/current movement that walleyes will spawn on many of the shallow gravel piles around shore. big lake + lots of water movement + some nice feeder creeks = lots of walleye.

we have run into males in one area of the lake more then once on opener that are.... ahh.... very ready to go when you get them in the boat... or all over everything in the boat... and those were all main lakers.