• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Regulations on camping out on the Islands of the Mississipi north

Does anybody know if there are any regs or laws as far as camping out on the Islands of the Mississipi - specifically north of Clearwater - the river starts to be more populated with small islands that look good for camping - but can you do this?? Have a campfire etc???? I am thinking during the Summer - the mosquitos would carry you away - but in early Spring before they get bad - I was thinking of heading up there with my 12 year old. Thanks for any info.

Hoffer,

Most of the islands are deemed as public. There are even two areas designated as "camping areas" and completely owned by the DNR (upstream of Clearwater). You are allowed to camp on almost any of the ones down there, including the Beaver Islands. My family has done exactly as you are thinking on several occasions. It was a great time. The skeeters weren't as bad as you think, even in the mid summer. But, I imagine that might depend more on the water levels during the previous weeks. Anyway, best thing to do is look it up in the plat books if there is any doubt. I do know that it truly has to be an island to be public though. Good luck.

maybe we should do a father-son camping deal some time in june or july. set up camp on a saturday and fish and then camfire and eats.

Thanks for the advice on camping and also about the landing area on a previous post. There did seem to be plenty of true islands out there to choose from and I think it wouldbe fun. Plus, not so hard to do either. You could throw a tent, a cooler and a sleeping bag in the boat, get to an Island set up -and then fish around till dark. would be a blast I think.

I'd buy in to the father-son plan in a heartbeat. Sounds like fun.

ice

Eyeguy thats a great idea I would do that in a heartbeat also! we could do a weekend leave the St cloud Dam area on Saturday Morning, float down to one of the Clearwater area islands and then float down to Monti or Kadler ave on Sunday! WE SHOULD SET THIS UP!

I like the idea... I know a spot or two.... grin.gif

cool, I'll bet fonz and dirtydog would join us too. I talked with my son and he says ya sure. when june gets close we'll figure something out.

Hoffer,

I beleive Smallie Hawgin has it pretty much correct. If its an island its public property.

As for having a camp fire, if there are no burning bans in effect you shouldn't run into any problems. Just make a pit with some rocks (which we all know there are plenty of along the Missisippi). If there is a burning ban in effect you may want to consult with the DNR. I would think that as long as you have it in a contained pit (with rocks, etc) and dump water on it when you leave that you would be OK.

The campsites that Smallie Hawgin referred to (if they are the ones that I am familiar with) are on state land (not an island) that is about 2 1/2 miles upstream from the Clearwater bridge on the north shore (assuming the river runs west to east). I think the DNR keeps them mowed and there are even a couple picnic tables available. The campsites aren't real visible from the river but if you find a platt book you shouldn't have to much trouble figuring out where they're at. The campsites are on the tip of the point. They get used pretty regularly by canoeists (sic?), so you may have to have a fall back plan and use an island (just upstream is 'big island').

Have a good time. You'll probably see some eagles and plenty of other wildlife. And I can almost guarantee that you will catch some smallies.

we may have to go for a ride saturday and check out a couple spots. maybe bring a crawler along grin.gif. the river is dropping fast. lottsa whitetop boulders showing themselves again. I wonder why they are so white right now.

I'm pretty white right now. Couple weeks of mowing the lawn and I'll be back to pink.

ice

I've camped on islands in Dayton, Elk River and Becker - shouldn't be a problem. Put a lantern next to the tent, and then a few hours later scrape hellgramites off the tent wall for free bait grin.gif

Eyeguy.. The white is basiacllay all the suspended solids that dry up on the rocks. Minerals and normal solids like calcium and not normal solids like road salt will be carried along with the higher runoff.

The sad part is that in most cases these components and sediments also carry the chemicals we worry about. So all the tire wear, oil, and exhaust solids, etc.!! This is why sediment control is so important on building sites. This is not my opinion btw it has been researched.

I am not saying the white stuff is pollution, I am just saying that the metals and minerals is what most chemicals bind to when rain events occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump, I just happened on this thread, and though I don't know any of you, If it's open to any... my son and I would greatly enjoy an outing like you all are working on. It sounds like alot of fun! Have you picked any dates? A Fri. P.M. through Sat. P.M. or every other Sun. A.M. would fit good on my schedual. Are you thinking of some leaveing vehicles at the take out point, and some at the put-in point? Do some shuttling at the take-out spot?

Fishface...

I know acouple of us have jets where we could launch and go. My son and I would be up for almost any weekend at this point. The only potential conflict some of us river rats might have would be the Monti FM gathering on the 25th.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody still thinking about an overnight? (When the water drops a tad)

All of the islands around us have signs that say that they are scientific natural areas and you cant hunt fish or camp on any of them

Quote:

All of the islands around us have signs that say that they are scientific natural areas and you cant hunt fish or camp on any of them

Basskid,

What part of the river are you referring to? I fish the river frequently upriver from Clearwater (by St. Cloud) and I cannot recall ever seeing any signs on them regarding Scientific Natural Areas.

P.S. I live just off of the Mississippi and I have a Scientific Natural Area between my house and the river so I know what the signs you are referring to look like.

I camped on a island on the mississippi just down river from the St.cloud dam 3 times in the last 2 weeks and had no problem there. I also caught 14 cats over 8lbs 2 feet from my tent laugh.gif. Before I camped there I called the DNR and they said they don't controll the islands and as long as it is not posted you should be able to camp there. So I rolled the dice and no problems as of yet.

I was hoping it would be a bit dryer for camping. With the blood sucking bug season hitting us soon and ticks all over the place it looks like camping is on hold for my son and I for a while. But then again ya never know.

The islands basskid is referring to are near Elk River and Otsego. Several of the islands in that area were posted as SNA's about two years ago....

RB