• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morel Bonanza!!!

Wayne Sieber

Weekend Results (in South Eastern Minnesota) :

In about 6 hours of hunting for Morels, I managed to completely fill to the top both of my 3 gallon mesh bags with exactly Jack T. Squat!!!! I went to my known spots, and even though it has been chilly, I expected the yellows to start showing up by now. Nope. All I found was a number of grays (C & R'ed because they were pretty small)Dang weather!!!!!

Don't give up out there! I have searched all of the farms which I regularly find morels (about 7 spots total) and I have only found mushrooms at one site in SE MN. Lots though, have picked over six pounds so far out of the one spot. Things should pick up this weekend I hope.

They are starting in central MN as well. I got a report from my future mother in law who has had some luck over the last couple of days. Thye are a bit small yet but they most certainly are there! Looks like this weekend and throughout the next couple of weeks will be prime time! Enjoy all!

Were in the metro could I find some. My dad and I used to go every year down by New Ulm Mn. But now we live up here and I'd like to take him out hunting.

I have checked three of my very good spots and have yet to find one.With the rain and heat in the next few days the picking next week should be verry good.In a week or so the yellows should start popping.Going tommorrow to see if I can get a meal of grays.

Just a heads up for the shroom hunters. Beware of poison ivey and ticks. I have had a little of both already and I never seem to learn! Good luck all!

Lee,

I appreciate the ones you gave me last year. I looked all over last year and came up with nothing. I'm going to try some new spot this year. If you hit the mother load and I come up empty I'll buy some from you.

Checked out my usual good gray spots today and came up with nothing.With the warm weather and rain coming the morels will be out in full force next week and the yellows soon to follow.

3 1/2 Hours searching on Saturday in a driving rain and once again got blanked. Tried both new areas (high ground, low ground and just about everything in between!) and also past honeyholes and just couldn't find anything. It seems late but I guess the weather is just not right yet. Anybody score this weekend?

A buddy of mine stayed at my cabin near Longville and found 12 morels only. Looked Saturday am and found nothing but DRY ground. Rained a bit and found those dozen on Sunday. With a little moisture and warmer temps, should be good to go this weekend after a good day on the water fisheing eyes.

I'll report next week. Good luck

anyone ever find them around the princeton area?is it true you dont find them around areas with pine trees?

Ok, I have never done this before but would like to give morel hunting a try. I'll be up in the Alexandria area this coming weekend. Is it worth my time to head out and look in this area? I am also wondering what type of areas to look in. I have heard that recently dead trees are a good spot, but does the type of tree matter? The last request I have is that someone post a picture of both the gray and yellow varieties that have been discussed above. I have an idea of what I am looking for, but want to make sure. Any ideas for how to prepare them would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Anyone ever find them in the Cloquet/Duluth area? I've found them way up North by Roseau but I have never seen them around here.

Look in todays Mpls Tribune and they have a good picture and recipies for cooking. This cold weather is keeping them from coming up in my area by Longville. I have found them along gravel roads slowly driving. We found them last year under one of our deer stands so you never know. Just get out in the woods and keep walking and look for hardwood forests of oak and elm trees. Vary the terain. Make darn sure that you put them in a ventelated onion bag so you can release the spores to grow more in future and use bug spray for ticks.

G-man

No I do not look in the metro as I usually go within 15 miles of home.Almost always go around the Henderson-Arlington-Belle plaine area.

Hopefully this weekend Ill be able to get out and look for some mushys. Since I am new to this, I probably wont get any.

Today was a good schroom day as I picked 35 grays and 62 nice yellows,my limit.The yellows were good sized with a little dring as to the wind and a few had a small amount of mold.I guess you dont need heat as i always thought as the little buggers are popping.Will be hunting all day tommorrow.Good luck to all.

I've found them around Itasca County all the way up to I Falls, but they weren't all that big. I made a quick check today in a likely spot, but nothing. We need a couple of warm days.

M T Bucket

I thought the same thing with needing warmer temps for the morels to pop.W hen i went out today because of boredom from sitting in the house,i found all kinds of them in 45 minutes.We have not had any warm temps for the last 2 days since i picked last and there were alot up.Cant figure it out as it seems we always needed 70 plus temps but i guess not this year.I picked the same spot that i picked 2 days ago and 100 new ones.

Went out picking again this a.m. and it wasnt as good as yesterday but still got a bag full.Nothing beats a good morel hunt even if you need to walk miles.

Took this pic during lunch today...

morels.jpg

morels2.jpg

Still too small to pick. Left maybe 20-25 to grow this week.

Hey thanks Lee,

I haven't been able to get out lately to look. Busy with coaching and playing town ball. I check a small patch of dead elm across the road from my house . Found plenty of poisonious ones under the trees , but no morels. Hopefully I'll sneak out once this week.

I found 5 morels near Grand Rapids today, but they were totally black. Not the dark kind you find in the pines, but ones that look just like yellows, only they're black.

morchella_angusticeps_08.jpg

nadon_morchella_elata_02_thumb.jpg

They definitely don't look as appetizing as the yellows, but the site I checked says they're edible (though some people have reactions to them.) I wonder if we'll even get yellows up here--I've never found one in northern Minnesota. I know of someone who found some morels near Big Falls about 5 days ago.

Probably been discussed...but share your meal prep methods for these tasty morsels (sorry about the play on words).

YellowDog

Whwn I get home I cut most of the stem and cut in two lenghtways.They you have to rinse the morels and soak in water or saltwater to get the bugs and the rest of the dirt off,not so good when your chewing on dirt.Then you can put them in a container in fridge and pour water out of container every hour or so until most water is gone or lay on paper towel and pat dry.Then

1-I lightly sprinkle flour on them and put them in a low heat frying pan or small kettle with a small amount of water(a couple teaspoons of water)add some butter to your liking and heat for 12-15 minutes,take out and enjoy.

2-Dry your morels again and dip in mixed up egg,then dip in ground up cracker crumbs and fry in butter until golden brown and again enjoy.

3-I like to saute the grays as they have a little more flavor and tend to be a little more tender,and the yellows can be sauted but i like them better in the cracker crumb mixture IMO.

4-Also if you look under Morels in google you will find many ways to prepare and either dry or freeze to preserve.

i've read alot of stuff that says NOT to wash morels, but to cut in half and use a brush to clean. using water allows them to soak up water and alters flavor and texture.

YOU CAN USE A BRUSH TO CLEAN THEM BUT YOU WILL BEAT THEM UP ALOT,I WASH THEM LIGHTLY TO REMOVE THE DIRT AND DONT BELIEVE I LOSE ANY FLAVOR YET I ALSO DONT HAVE A DIRT CRUNCHY MOREL TO EAT.SO MANY TIMES IF YOUR TO ROUGH WITH THEM THEY CRUMBLE APART,AT LEAST THAT HAS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE.

They are out! Found ten pounds on Sat. 5/21. Afton area