• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Where's Everyone Going for Opener?

The clock is ticking, we're almost there. One of the most anticipated weekends of the year, fishing opener in Minnesota. Where is everyone going for opener? With so many great walleye lakes here in the Brainerd/Nisswa area it can be a tough choice. It is a decision one can ponder for days. Typically our smaller lakes open pretty good. Most boats like to start out on Round, but it may be tough to overlook Gull with it's abundance of hungry walleyes. Hopefully they've grown an inch over the winter. Pelican had a strong winter bite at times, and usually is pretty good in May. I can't forget about the quality of the fish we caught on North Long last year. Our guides will most likely be pulling jigs or live bait rigs and minnows. For me my plans will not change, I'll be busy filling minnow buckets with spot-tail shiners, rainbow chubs and fatheads. Most importantly catching up with old friends and customers, it's a fun tradition. If I do get a chance to get out I most likely will try trolling Rapalas on Gull or Round. As the countdown continues the decision gets tougher by the minute. Wherever you open it will be a great spot. Even better when you feel the first tap-tap-tap of the season. So where is everyone going to open and what is your gameplan?

Jason Erlandson smile.gif

I will be teaching a graduate course in the cities...when I took the assignment, I forgot to check the calendar....dumb, dumb, dumb!

Good luck everybody....I will be out on Monday night for sure!

My plans are the same as they have been many years. Thursday evening we will be heading up to the cabin. Friday we will be heading up to Red to try our luck on the slabs. Opening day we will be fishing Blackduck lake in the AM and in the afternoon either back up to Red or over to Gull (Gull by Blackduck) Game plan is to run small jigs w/minnows. Always a good producer on opener.

Second weekend though I will be in the Brainerd area, probably on Gull.

The crew is going to mix things up this year and do some running and gunning. Think were going to start on Pelican move to Gull or Round and from there move NE...good to try something diffrent.

North long for me,hope it is as good as last year.Burl.

We just bought a condo on cross lake so I will be fishing the chain this year and probably every opener until I sell the place anyway. Any sugestions on locations and presentations for eyes.

I'm with walleyetree... Just got news that we're heading to the chain this year... first time for opener on the lake, any suggestions would be great!!

I'll be working on opener! I always try to make sure I can work while the chaos is going on and then hit it on Monday or Tuesday when things have calmed down. So that's the plan again this year. I'll then head to Gull and probably spend a lot of time playing, as I just bought a new GPS with the Navionics chip. It'll be fun to play around with that. But the real opener will still be 3 weeks away. Can't start chasing muskies until June 4th.....

AWH

Of course the opener is all about tradition so I'll be out on gull taking my dad who I've fished with on opener since I can remember, then my wifes mother likes to fish so she joined us about 14 years ago, then our oldest daughter started coming on opening morning about 6 years ago and now our youngest daughter is old enough to want to go. So, let's review: Me, my dad, my mother in law, and my two kids. I'll be the guy trying to run the boat, untangle the kids lines, getting snacks baiting hooks and hopefully netting some fish!

Last year we had some luck once we moved away from the crowds. Mother in law got a 26" and my kids got into some good mid 20" fish too.

Good luck to everyone and remember on opener if you're fishing with your family, it's all about the fishing experience. Hopefully they'll want to take me some day.

ccarlson

Nice perspective CC. It's really as much about family and traditions as anything. Which, I suppose, in part explains why opener for me has always been inexorably linked to trout and trout fishing, perhaps more than walleye.

My own father loved pursuing trout, especially with fly rod in hand, preferrably while wading one of several cherished lonely freestone streams. This year might just mark the fifteenth in which I've chosen to extend his passion. Besides that, trout fishing is fun, generally still overlooked in the area, and exceedingly active at this time of year. Browns, brookies and 'bows all offer wonderful springtime sport, even beyond their value as table fare.

So for at least a portion of this coming weekend,

I and friends will be plying certain little clearwater gems that only collect trailer dust as highspeed fishing rigs rumble down to the next nearest walleye hole. To many on this day, these little lakes might not even seem to exist. Might even be me on a day in the not so distant future; but for now, walleyes can wait. Just the way it should be-- just the way it will continue to be, so long as this old fading memory dances with visions of trout. smile.gif

A great, memorable fishing opener to everyone from . . .

-a friend called Toad

Ahhhh, the mighty Trout. An often overlooked fish but certainly a prize to catch. There are some stocked Trout lakes that might need some of my attention this year as well. Good luck to you toad, I hope you get on some of those scrappy, exciting, tough fighting Trout.

Good Luck,

Corey Bechtold

Someone else keyed in on my bail out thought if I can't get the wally's or Crappies to cooperate.

Hey now! Trout aren't a bail out wink.gif I believe I to will be chasing the trout........more than likely I will be a short cast away from Toad.....Mmmmm I wouldn't mind a little stocked troot or 2 for the table or the smoker yummy.

Looking forward to it. I'll drop you an email later this week to get your gameplan.