• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Was just up, 20-24, and had good luck. Caught eye's everyday in every spot that I fished, mainly west end. Just work the wind as slowly as you can and you should hook up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caseymcq

• WollMan

• Mike Stark

• Big Tom

I am heading up Thursday as well, fishing so far this year has been good, hoope it stays that way until Monday afternoon!

I am heading out in a few hours and will be camping at the National Forest Campground. I'd sure like to hear about any Mayfly action. Talking to a local bait shop guy a few weeks ago, he recommended lindy rig and worm if the bite gets tough. Any advice for the smallies up here? Best of luck.

I have caught some nice smallies this year casting rocky shorelines with raps and spinnerbaits. they were still on their beds two weekends ago and shallow. Last I had heard about the Mayflys is that they were thick but that was a few days ago now...

Thanks for the info. I am also hoping to try some topwater plugs for the bass. But I'll target anything that bites. I'm happy to share any hotspots or tactics I come across so look for the guy in the old Lund with the dog and pregnant wife :)Good Fishing

• 3 weeks later...

Fishing was pretty good until about a week and a half ago. Has slowed a bit since then.

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

Any reports? I am heading up Friday for the weekend. My dad has caught a few upper teens (inches) eyes in the last few days. Anything else going on right now? Crappies?

• 8 months later...

Took the wheeler down to Birch this morning...could be open this weekend? The forcasted rain will definatly help. North half of lake near Moose point was all open today. A golf ball size rock had no problem cutting thru what was left of the ice near the public landing east of Babbitt. I didn't make it down to the west end but hopefully the rest of the lake looks similar. If it does, I'll be chasing crappies Monday! Sweet!

West end just had a few rafts of black ice floating in the middle this morning. Wind or rain should take care of it.

scratch the post above.....its all open from Outward Bound to river point resort...looking at the web cam at river point it looks like there is some ice south but it looks very black.

There can't be much, if any, ice left out there now.

I am thinking opener on Birch might different than it was last year. The ice had not gone out as early is it did (or will) this year. Last year the walleyes were extremely easy to find. This year I am guessing they will have moved off the spawning areas earlier than they did last year.

im thinking the same thing casey....last year on opener down on my end the males were still stacked up.....milting like crazy, but the bigger females were tired and not in a feeding mode. im hoping that this year with an earlier spawn that the females will be on the prowl and hungry.

took the boat out on birch today....put in at the birch lake campground...i know it was about the worst weather you could have for a boat ride but i wanted to make sure everything was running smooth..and it was.

temps were 38-40. saw one big chuck of black ice pushed up on shore. that was it. looked wide open everywhere else.

Went for boat ride today. All ice is gone (that I could see). Launched at public landing east of Babbitt. Docks are in the water! Surface temps around 40-43 Crappies tomorrow...?

Any luck on the crappies?

Is anyone else going to fish Birch for opener?

I am getting pretty anxious. I bought oil & a filter for the Yamaha today. I am going to get that taken care of tomorrow and hopefully get the boat on the water sometime this weekend. Otherwise the neighbors are probably going to think I am a serious loon for all the time I spend sitting in the boat while it is at my house laugh

Hazarzd bouys not out yet for those who rely on them. Pretty slow. Caught and released a few smaller crappies today. Most of em still deep??? Did best last year with water 16 fow and about 50 deg and we're still quite a bit shy of that of course. Wife is pregnant and she can't make it up to Basswood for opener so I'll be taking her crappie fishin a few days next week. Hopefully I can find some good schools like last year. I'll let you know.

Did some walter graphing for a while. Not too many fish in deep water. Hopefully we get some nice post spawn action!

went out today for a few hours searchin for crappie on the south kawish...it was windy!!....no fish. fished 20-14fow. water temps were 42-43.

the crappie should be pretty close to where they were at late ice...right???

Lets get some reports going this weekend. Very interested in the South Kawish, Moose pt area, Birch River area. Heading to the cabin for the second weekend for 4 days. Don't freeze and bring your ice fishing gear this weekend from the looks of things, good luck...

We caught a lot of dinks. We caught two fish that we kept, 14" & 15". We caught quite a few fish but most were little.

We made the run up to the rapids on the South Kawishiwi by Outward Bound and caught a lot of fish up there. The Stony didn't produce like it usually does, a few fish there. Birch Point had a few fish too. The keepers we caught came from the S. Kaw by OB and Birch Point.

Posted under fishing reports, but since this was down the Kawishiwi River, will post here as well. Cold, nasty, but a few fish. Nothing big but nice eaters.

Opener-1.jpg

About two hours worth of fishing:

Opener-3.jpg

Posted under fishing reports, but since this was down the Kawishiwi River, will post here as well. Cold, nasty, but a few fish...

Yeah the run up the lake on Saturday was tough. When the snow/rain was coming down it was a little hard on the face crazy

We went out on Sunday too. The weather was much nicer. Caught a few fish, more of the little ones again. Caught fish off Birch Point and Stony River.

How are the campsites on Birch lake and are there any you can drive to besides the pay campsite? I was planning on camping on a smaller lake in the ely area, but my friend wants to bring both his dogs and they have never been in a canoe before. On my map the only site that looks like it might be drivable to is the one east of birch point across the lake off 429, but it looks like it might turn into more of a footpath verus jeep trail. Thanks,

Blake