• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am headed up there in two weeks. Any news on what is going on? I have heard great things about this lake. It will be my first time on it. Looking for walleye and crappie. Any information would be helpful. Thanks

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caseymcq

• WollMan

• Mike Stark

• Big Tom

I'm heading up to Birch 10/11 - 10/15. We will be on the north eastern end of the lake just down from where the Kwishiwi river comes into the lake. I would appreciate an updates and tips for this part of the lake. Most interested in Walleye and smallies. What is the water temp? How is the bite? What is drawing the most action? Day or night?

Thanks! I'll send out an update when I get back.

Stradt

• 8 months later...

I was out on Birch Lake Sunday, morning (6/10) picked up one decent walleye, 16", early then missed a few fish. The bite seemed to taper off after 0830. The water level seems to be up quite a bit. Couldn't find any crappies. I think this is the first time I have been out and not caught a rock bass. Usually I cacth so many of those that if it were a paying job I would be a millionare.

Thanks for the rock bass report, bud. grin.gif

Get any time away from the new little girl/older big girl for V musky fishing? If so, shoot me an e-mail.

I'll be up at birch lake the week of the 21st to the 24th this will be the second year fishing birch...still learning the area.......i'll give a report on how i did on the trip back....any tips?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone, this is my first post on this site. Anyways, my family has had the cabin on Birch that is at the end of the point when you go west out of the main landing, have been there for about 20 years and this lake makes me scratch my head every day i fish it. going to be up there from tuesday-sunday. Going to be hitting the wind blown points and shorelines with lindy rigs, gold, and bright colored jigs tipped with leaches, as well as trolling and casting cranks. Anyone been fishing on Birch lately and having any luck? I will post how we did next monday...

Welcome to FM! Good luck out on Birch. I haven't been able to fish it as much as I would like to this year. The last time I was out I caught fish in about 22' with a crawler on a snell. It was just as the mayflies were hatching so the fishing was just starting to slow down. That was weeks ago so hopefully it has picked back up.

Fished Birch this past week. Caught a couple nice eaters on lindy rig and leach off of Moose point. Hit some pike on the shore line, and also a couple of bass mixed in. Had more luck on Burntside, got a 23' and 24'

• 10 months later...

I started this quite a while back but I figured I would give it a bump.

My dad and I went out for opener. The fishing was probably the best I have ever had on Birch Lake. We didn't catch any big walleyes like I had expected we would be we caught quite a few. We kept seven. We caught a lot of little dinks. My dad caught a smallie, a decent crappie and a nice northern (which he promptly released since it was in the slot).

The fish varied in depth from 6' all the way down to 20'. All we used was jig & minnow. They were a little lethargic and bit fairly light.

We even buzzed up to the rapids by Outward Bound since the boat will fit under the new Hwy 1 bridge. There were a lot of fish up there.

we are going up to the cabin on birch this weekend. casey were you fishing around where the rivers enter and exit? I am planning on the fish being shallow and pitchin jigs and small cranks

We fished where the rivers entered. There were a lot of people fishing by the Hwy 1 bridge but we didn't. I think with the late ice out the fish were a little more predictable this opener. It has been fairly warm during the day but cool at night so I am guessing the fish haven't moved very far from where they were last weekend.

Two other FMers and I fished Birch yesterday (Sunday the 18th). We fished from about noon until about 4. The bite was a little slower than it was on opener but we managed to catch 15-20 walleyes and a bunch of small slimers. The weather was quite chilly with that wind whipping across the cold water. Depths that were getting most of our fish were mostly in the 15-18 foot range. Lure choice for the day was a jig and minnow. One bit of advice that I could give to folks heading out chasing walleyes this spring is to present your bait as slow as you possibly can. We spent the day backtrolling and making sure our lines stayed as vertical as we could. All in all a nice day on the water.

Cory

• 2 weeks later...

Any reports from Birch??? I am heading to the cabin on Friday with the girlfriend and want to get some northerns and bass for her, and eye's for me smile If anyone has heard about what is going on right now let me know, thanks.

Fished up there last Wednesday through Saturday. Between two guys, we had about 80 walters. Biggest that we boated was 27 inches. Lots of dinks around 9 inches. I had one fish on that I struggled with for 5 minutes. It was caught on a floater with a split shot a foot and a half above it. The sinker broke the surface along with a walleye that made that 27 incher look small. We got a great look at the fish and then it rolled on the surface, breaking my line..... that one really hurt the pride........ Also, we had a big fish follow our smaller fish a few times. I ended up catching on Thursday evening. I hooked something very large that I thought was a big walleye. When I could first see the fish, I saw the tail of a walleye sticking out of the mouth. We ended up netting both fish. The walleye was about 10 inches and the other fish, which resembled a mix of a northern and a muskie was about 10-12 pounds.

i picked up a couple eaters on lindys and a minnow off of points and some reefs, slow it down right now, the weather has been pretty unstable it seems, at least it was last weekend.

It was tough today. I tried reefs, points and Stony Bay all the way up to the Stony River. No walleyes. Crappies, rock bass and one big sun fish.

I might go back out tomorrow. If I have any better luck I will post.

Went out for a little while today. It wasn't a serious fishing excersion since my wife and 18-month old daughter were with. My wife managed to pick up a 12" and 14" walleye in 14' and 16' off of a wind swept point(Birch). Both came on a 1/4 oz. white jig with a leech.

Good luck at the Whamma next weekend.

coolTANKS FOR THE INFO CASEY,WIFE TOOK 3RD PLACE LAST YEAR AND IT WAS A FUN TIME GOOD LUCK TO ALL.....

Coming up to Birch next week for my honeymoon, staying at River Point, get a boat and motor to use for the week and am looking to catch walleyes mostly. What structure, depth should I key on? Is it better to jig, troll spinners, slip bobber or something different? I will have my Vex and GPS to assist in the search but some info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I will coming up to Birch Lake this weekend. I think that I'm going to try bottom bouncers with floating Rapalas in about 20 feet of water. I heard the big girls are deep now. What do you all think of my strategy? Does everyone just use minnows and leeches?

Bump

Any reports? I am heading up this weekend. How was the Whamma? Have the eye's slowed down any? Any smallies or pike moving around?

Can't give you a report, guys, but Bromel, welcome to FM. Great to have you here.

Your method should be fine if you can find the fish. It's a little used tactic and great for 'eyes anywhere you find them. Don't be surprised if you tie into a few monster pike that way, either. Birch is known for them. grin

Largest walleye in the Whamma was 6# 2(?)oz. Sounds like a lot of people were out. A few fish being caught by what I hear (I haven't been out on Birch) and there is still activity every evening just south of Aikio Island.

Any recent reports? I will be up here camping for the 4th of July and could use a few tips as I have never been on this lake. We are staying at the National Forest Campground.

My girlfriend and I just got back from 3 days ( 16-19 ) on a houseboat. We probably only fished about 6-8 hours the entire trip but managed to catch about 10 walleyes. Not great fishing by any means, but I had never been on the lake before, so we basicly just fished structure near where we were tied up each night. We got past the NF campgrounds one day but didn't stay near there. We did have a tag along boat w/depth finder, so were able to try a few different spots. The ones we did catch were in about 18 ft, and either leeches or nightcrawlers. Had minnows with but didn't have as much luck with those. We had a steep drop off at one tie up spot and caught a couple in the evening on slip bobbers in about 12 ft. Nothin like sittin around the camp fire in the evening and watching the bobbers go down! It is a pretty lake with nice strucure and good walleye numbers. Will definately be back some time.

Fished Birch last week (June 16-19) on my honeymoon. The first two days were tough. Caught only a few small walleyes all day.

Wednesday evening proved much better. My wife (then of five days... its still weird to say wife) and I anchored just south of the highway 1 bridge on the NE corner of the lake. We anchored exactly under the "bell" on the power lines in about 10 FOW. We would cast a 1/4 oz jig toward shore and bounce it back along the bottom. We caught 33 walleyes from 7-9pm, she caught 21 of them on a white jig and then a glow jig after the white one got bit off by a northern.

She also caught two fish at the same time. She had a northern on and soon as it got to the boat, her rod doubled over and it went on a huge run. I thought it was a monster fish but as she got it to the top of the water, I saw a 20" northern with a 28-30" northern latched on to it. I tried to get both in the net but the larger one took off. It was a pretty awesome evening and now she is addicted to fishing.