• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opener Results Thread

Fisherman For a Lifetime

Well, from what I saw (we looked a lot) & experienced it sure was a slow opener.

Fished 2 hours this morning at Kinnickinnic, caught 1 walleye and saw only 3 other walleyes caught (just 1 keeper)out of about 50-60 boats.

Fished another 2 hours at the 94 bridge area, saw 2 walleyes caught (just 1 keeper).

Fished another 2 hours in the Hudson channel and saw 0 walleyes caught.

So, there's my report & we hit 'er hard switching up a lot. Please post your report here so maybe we can do better tomorrow ! wink.gif

Good luck !!

We trolled the 94 bridge area to the railroad bridge from 6:00 to 11:00. We ended up with 2 walleye (17" and 16") and a couple of sauger. The walleye were both caught before 6:30.

7 hours 4 white bass and alot of windburn. worked between I-94 and Catfish point. 0 wally's frown.gif MN Game Warden stopped by for a visit, no out of season ticket for a WI resident. grin.gif

Yea, the windburn was the only warmth out there...

I caught a lot of Sheephead on the leech, no white bass for the leech. Minnows gave up the bass.

Hilite for the day was watching an elated Boy catch a 40" Sturgeon near Hudson !! The kid was about 12 and he reeled it in about half of the way. They did a great job of managing to get it in the boat !!!

So, the big question is where to try tomorrow...????

Was down at the Kinni managed 3 walleyes and a ton of silver bass. Biggest walleye 18" other two 15 1/4" all went back but one silver had to push 3 1/2 lbs it was huge!

Good one Neo.

Do you have a "very general" area to try tomorrow ?

Good luck!

Deciphered. Yea, the one area on the list we didn't try.

Hudson area - 6 14-16" sauger, 6 am to 11am, 3 guys, jig & minnow was the only thing we caught anything on, 13 to 16 FOW

My fishing partner and I managed to get out for about 1.5 hours this afternoon. Not much competition on the water up by Taylors Falls. 2 'eyes --> 12" & 16", along with a nice crappie, the biggest perch I've ever caught on the Croix, and a quillback. Not great results but not bad either.

Spent 3 hours out of hudson. 1 16 inch sauger and 5 decent sized white bass. I have to say it was not as crowded as I was anticipating. Launching was not a problem. Good to get out there, Mille Lacs in 3 weeks for me.

went up near oseola this morning about 8:00 till 2:00 caught 5 eyes, 2 14, 1 12, 2 15 1/2 inchers. caught them all straight across from the launch in 13 feet on three way rigs and jigs with very large fatheads, talked to 1 other boat in the same area and they caught a couple of smaller ones. not alot of people out, saw maybe 10 other boats.

Neo, I am go to try and troll cranks more often this year on the croix. Any advice on what's been working lately. Types of cranks, colors. Thanks for the report.

I had decent luck yesterday on leeches, as I forgot the crawlers in the fridge. Minnows produced a bunch of nice sized silvers in the 20 foot deep ranges.

I was out there all day Saturday with similar results. I started at the Kinni and caught mostly silver with 2 short eyes. Most eyes seemed to prefer leeches? I trolled from Catfish pt to Hudson and only caught 1 eye and a northern but it sounds like I was on the wrong side of the river smile.gif

North of Hudson I saw a good amount of Sauger cuahgt in the no wake zone and around the swing bridge. Stopped a few more spots on my way back to Prescott with limited results. I didn't catch or see anything caught by Prescott b/t 4-5pm.

Crankbait question 4 NEO - did you find most of your fish shallow, on the edge or suspended? Were you banging bottom?

What are your favorite lures to troll on the river? Jointed? RS?

Thanks!

I'll be back out there tomorrow for a little event & hope to catch something I can weigh!

All in all it was a great weekend. 15 Walleyes, all very nice, kept 1 for dinner. A few silvers and sheephead thrown in, I just wish it was a tad bit warmer, Oh well it feels good to be out anyway.

Fished the Croix and the Sip for 4 hours Saturday morning; should of stayed in bed. Ended up only catching 2 small saugers and fished hard the first 3.5 hours (last half hour was spent thinking of reasons why I shouldn't go home, couldn't think of any). I did witness quite a few quality fish being caught on jigs and minnows but I was going to live or die by the plastics and cranks.

I said the same thing on the plastics olny to switch to live bait after 10 minnutes blush.gif A few cast in my girlfriend got a 19 1/2 inch smallie off a sand bar that has produced big fish for us every year now. Every sand or gravel bar/flat with quick access to deep water produced nice smallies for us off 1/8 oz jig and minnow. Its a blast catching them.

Spent some time in the kinni and catfish narrows and came up with a few nice eyes and saugers, too may sheepies and a nice crappie. Also a few 14 1/2 inchers that we seen so may of a few years ago. All our fish came off 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig with crawlers and minnows.

Cant wait to get back out there... Next weekend I bring the boat up to northern WI and wont be back till after MN opener. Good luck out there guys. All our eyes came out of 16-18 fow. Any deeper and the sheepies and white bass got to you first.

Thanks for the reply NEO, wasn't sure if the shad style cranks would work already with the cooler water temps or not. Thanks for the validation.

bad day for me- trolled cranks near bayport 3 hours with one keeper eye. no pike. found the panfish but they were tight lipped too, got 5 sunnies and 4 crappies. could only manage one sheephead! tough day.