• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Determining boat value

eyepatrol

Question

I was wondering if anyone knows how I can determine what the trade-in value and what the sale value of my boat would be (without having to haul it to a dealer).

Or, if anyone is able to shoot me a number right here, I could describe it.

Thanks for the help.

11 answers to this question

you can also check nada online. it breaks it down to boat, motor, and trailer.

We posted this in a similar thread asking for motor value.

NADA is not the most accurate source, their values are not including some circumstances that add a lot of value to a boat (freshwater use, not saltwater). It is a little tough to price it correctly, I personally priced some too cheap and had few too expensive.

You have to be realistic and fair on your price, if it's a 1960 rig you cannot ask $ 5,000 for it, if it's a recent model you will have to check others what thay are asking.

I think the web site Boattrader.com has 1000s of them and you can check prices with the ones adverstised.

Asking for price on this thread will result in a deletion, since it's like offering a sale and there is a specific forum for this.

Thanks for the help guys. I have no intention of selling my boat at this time, I'm just curious as to what the value of it is, whether I were to trade it in or sell it myself. It's easy to find out (for me) what the trade-in value and sale value of used autos is because I've heard of Kelly Blue Book, but I just hadn't heard of a site that gives that info for boats. I'm probably 3 years away from getting a new boat, but curiosity got to me.

Thanks for the help!

There are several other factors to consider, oner is the most valued boat in the 6 surrounding states which in order is:

Lund

Ranger

Crestliner

Skeeter

Alumacraft.

These factors are not taken in consideration on NADA values but have a lot of influence.

I can guarantee if you find a Lund Pro V in Florida, it will be A LOT cheaper than here in MN......and same rig configuration.

On the other side a Ranger Comanche has more value in Texas than here

valv

Do you know where Warrior boats might fall in this list....way off the bottom?

But how can boat trader advertised price be more accurate. Some people are like advertising for 2-3K above what is the real boat value. And also, some dealers have a tremendous mark up on advertised price. I do not think that looking at advertised price is going to be a more accurate way of looking at boat value. In any case, when you are looking in to trade your boat, I believe that the dealers when trading it in, will not bother with advertised price because it will tend to be higher. They will look at NADA boat price and then work out something that may be at the bottom of that range.

Hey basscathcher, For what it's worth here's my take. You are always better off selling a used boat yourself rather than trading it in. Even though you will pay more sales tax on the new boat you will more than make up for it on the extra $'s you get on the used boat. A good way to determine what your boat is worth is to shop local dealers for used boats. You will get a good idea of what is available locally and what the price ranges are. It takes some time but if you price your boat accordingly it will sell faster and you should get a good price for it. I agree that NADA is not very accurate for our area. Finally, this web site is a great place to advertise used equipment. I just sold a used trolling motor in three days.

\

Boats (or any other saleable item for that matter), have only one monetary "value", and it lasts for only a split second: what some person is willing and able to pay you for that item at the time of sale. Beyond that, everything else, no matter the source, is pure speculation.

Here's an excellent example.

I have a 1989 Lund Sport Cabin 21ft, nice boat, NADA quotes it at $ 3,300/4,400 max. It will be just like giving it away.

I had many offers for it, and they all average at $10,000 with a $12,000.

The difference is huge, over 200% and 300%.

NADA is way off, is the market that dictates price.

PS: don't even try to buy this boat it is not for sale..... grin.gif

Valv...

Wow, that's quite a difference. I guess when it comes time, I'll just have to do some searching around to see what value boats similar to mine are selling for and try to price accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!