• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How to catch a Walleye on Green in 2005???

Just had to do it guys. . . Guess we'll have to see what happens here, a few of the new comers to the sport and to the lake deserve a little help I think and I cant stand scrolling through 300 post to get to the bottom of the screen anymore LoL grin.gif

The few go to spots I have I am vertical jigging. I dont know what anyone else knows but leaches out did anything for me last year.

Jumbos worked good during the last part of July if you could find them it was pretty good, did catch alot of bass in the process though the first thing I do when I get there is try to get an average idea of what depth most of the fish are in not just the walleyes but even just a good basic food chain which at times would actually be a little tough at times but work discussing for sure. crazy.gif

Last year come august I was using craws in 40ft plus.

Had to fish the transitions.

Just read through some of the threads and you will get my "hints" I have thrown out there. Another good resource is to go into the Brainerd forums and look at some of Toad's posts pertaining to trolling.

Without actually saying what to do, when to do it or how, that should get you started on the right foot.

P.S. another hint- forget live bait and fishing during the day.

rapping after dark does produce from late june on , but that does nothing for you for the first 4-5 weeks.

99.9% of my fishing is done during the day. Was a time when cranks worked good out there, they were a few years ago.

Hard to go wrong with Shiners(not gold or river) until you can't get them anymore. Mornings and evenings are typically "prime time", but I've found pretty good daytime action out there also. Look in the twenty five foot range for starters. Outside edges of the sand grass.(as a general rule). Just gotta hunt em down. There are community spots(actually most or all of them anymore), that hold fish fairly consistantly. Keep it simple, keep it slow and don't do a half throttle circle around my boat and throw a marker out three feet off the side of my boat. The merc has a taste for em...LOL. cool.gif

LoL chub!! I aslo fished(Struggled) during the day alot but these lessons are types that will get you skilled(Skunked) If you want a lake that will challenge you the most go to a lake that has a tough day bite and don't stop getting skunked until you figure it out. Then you will find these commuinity spots and probably not the fishing community. The trick is finding a daytime community of walleyes that are all too yourself usaully on green this meant 25 feet or deeper at times and countless hours on the water. You need a lot of time on the water a.k.a No wife and Kids I can just barely remeber them days anymore but I still fish 1 lake religiously at times. Green, Koronis, Minnewaska have skunked me many times but the knowlede I took home with me has given me the courage to go right back to the lake asking the question WHY?? as many tims as I could till i figured the pattern, presentation, and location out but usually it never went in that order confused.gif

Funny you should mention sand grass. . . I think you really sparked some memories there it invloved a huge boat lift a castle on shore and about 10 other landmarks I wonder if I could still find it?? I rembember using lots of big boats on shore for waypoints in them days. Too Bad my boat was 13 feet(Jon) long with a 3.5 in those days it had a bow-mount electric and a 3.5 tiller. You want to talk boat control I caught more fish that way and talk about controlling a drift. Thanks for the memory Chub I needed that grin.gif

Gull I would like to chat with you on a more private level sometime and my true passion usually involves the moonlight shining at me while I'm in bed, and my Wife saying "JUST GO" let me tell ya its no help when its november and I know the boats hooked up and the access to waska 3 minutes from my bed laugh.gif Wood love to get out on a night like that sometime on green grin.gif

Sure Eye,

Pretty busy this summer with leagues and tourneys but I can try to figure something out.

What kind of weights do you guys use in that deep of water? Do you troll out there, drift, or jigging a hook with bait up and down?

In the day time I will give you one tip that works wonders for me. Just go out and find the transition areas. From grass/gravel, gravel/mud or rocks/sand; whatever it maybe find them. If the walleyes are not going to be suspended they will be in those areas. One other thing that comes to mind. If those walleyes suspend they may only do it to rest and not feed. Then come back in at dawn/dust to feed. I'm not saying thats the fact. Just could be another option/opinion.

To fish those transition walleyes I like to use my camera and find nice points or pockets that hold fish. Then its either up to jigging and if that doesn't work I might switch to a bottom bouncer. Sometimes I will troll along some areas and pick up a few to keep me interested every once in a while but not my main producer. During the day I have caught eyes in 15' trolling otherwise thats it. Normally deeper than that.

I also like to fish Green during the day for the challenge. Everyday I come with the mind set that I will catch my limit and normally I come up 5 or 6 short, lol. But thats what keeps my curiosity up and brings me back day after day. I normally catch 1 or 2 to keep me interested, if I'm lucky and somedays I will catch 2 dozen; you never know. I also like going out at night to sharpen up my skills and see what works when, where and how well.

IMO, its a fun lake to fool with.

My best success is at night. Get the wife and kids all tucked in bed, grab the dog and a buddy, hitch up the boat and go. I ususlly fish from 11 PM to about 2 AM. I'll start trolling in about 10 ft. and move in shallower, long lineing Rapala's (black/silver & perch colors)with my gas motor, speed varies with the water chop, temp & what the eye's want, usually around 1.6 to 2.4 mph. I troll along the shoreline bars and breaks, using my gps and marking the bites. I always have good luck with lots of 15-19 inchers. They come up on the shallows to feed on the shiners and perch. It's my solution for catching shallow water eye's in Green Lake all summer long. The night bite is the right bite!!

Hey Undertaker...

Is your ID an indication of your profession and if so class of 88 by chance?