• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sugar/Indian Report

I was out on Sugar today from 8-10:30 and tried several different depths and locations with not a single nibble. I decided to pack it up and head to a different lake. I ended up finding Indian just down the road so I put the boat in and headed out. I didn't know where any structures or good spots were so I just fished the small bay across from the landing. I started with crappie minnows and caught 3 bass and a really fat 26" Northern, which I fought for close to 20 minutes on 4# line. She hit so hard, I almost dropped my rod. I switched to waxies and caught probably close to a hundred sunnies before I left at 3:30. Out of them, I kept 6 that were so-so. Do the sunnies in this lake run small? Not one I caught was over 8" and most of them were 3-4".

Even with the slow start, it was a great day for catching!

I heard the sunnies in Indian are small fry. How big were them bucketmouths?

Dan-

The bigger one was about 15" and the other two were less than a foot. They didn't put up too much of a fight, though.

Boy Tony, I wish you woulda kept more of those little things so they start growing. crazy.gif They run small in Indian, there's tons of them.

Federline-

I don't keep more than I'm going to eat and I didn't feel like cleaning 20 tiny sunfish. crazy.gif Some of them had the black worms all over them, also. I'll be heading to Sugar or Indian again on Friday in hopes of finding some crappies. I'll be bringing a friend, so if we get into the little guys again, I'll keep my limit and encourage him to do the same to thin the herd. I'll head to my Mom's with them and have a fish fry in the near future just so I'm not wasting them. When I was standing in my boat I saw hundreds of them in the shallows, so it's gonna take more than just me to get their population down so they get bigger. I'd much rather catch crappies as they are more of a challenge. It's almost annoying when you can cast out, count to 2 and set the hook on a 4 inch sunny every cast. Great time to bring the kids, but don't expect to do any fishing yourself smile.gif

I was out there a week ago & ran into the same thing. Lots of small sunnies. We were catching one every 20 seconds or so.