• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Selling a Boat 101

MJBo

Question

I'm selling my boat outright to anotrher individual and this is the first time I haven't taken a trade from the dealership. Can anyone point me in the right direction for instructions on forms, taxes, responsibilities and all the other beaurocratic junk I might need to know about. I sure would appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

2 answers to this question

This is a simple thing. The seller may want a bill of sale, just to document the value of the boat, motor, and trailer separatly. But legally, all you need to do is transfer the title for both the boat and the trailer. The motor is untitled. The purchaser will pay all sales tax due on registration. That's why he will want the bill of sale. In Minnesota, and in a number of other states, he only pays sales tax on the trailer, so it's to his advantage to value the trailer at a reasonably low value. The boat and motor, if purchased from an individual, are exempt from sales tax but the purchaser will have to register and license both boat and trailer.

Hiya,

I have to sell my boats every year, so going through the process is an annual event...

You should absolutely do a bill of sale. You can download templates for a Bill of Sale from a number of different legal document sites online. It'll usually run you about 10 bucks. Well worth it - all you have to do is fill in the blanks. Include on the BOS EXACTLY what is included in the sale, including any accessories such as trolling motors, depth finders, etc. A bill of sale is nice because it will include all the legalese to cover your butt in case the buyer comes back wanting you to fix something they broke by claiming it was your fault, or worse yet tries to get their $ back because they changed their mind. Hate to have to think that way but it does happen, and has to me. A bill of sale lays out exactly what's what and spells out that the sale is as-is, excepting any manufacturer's warranties.

MH is correct on the sales tax. In MN, you only pay tax on the trailer. So you and the buyer should come to an agreement on what the value of the trailer is as part of the package price. It can be pretty low and not raise eyebrows at the Registrar's office, but if you don't have the trailer price on the BOS, THEY get to decide how much it's worth... Plus good to know what the sales tax is as a bargaining tool. I've offered to pay the sales tax to close a sale on a boat I was having trouble moving.

Finally, unless they are picking the boat up immediately, insist on a nominal deposit. When I sell my boats, if they back out on the deal, the deposit is non-refundable unless they can come up with a VERY convincing reason why they can't follow through. I have given deposits back, but having a deposit generally tells you someone's serious and not just wasting your time - and getting you to pull the boat off the market and missing a legitimate buyer.

Other than that, there's not a lot to it. It can be a fun process when everyone's happy at the end of the deal...

Good luck with the boat sale.

Cheers,

RK

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.