• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Jigging on Mille Lacs

Bigfife

I have fished Mille Lacs for over 15 years and I can't say I have ever given jigging a good try on the big pond. I don't think there are many people that do either. Two years ago I jigged in the sand on opener and missed one fish. My dad caught 5 fish in the same time while rigging. I also watched a guy jigging on the mud that did pretty well, but that was a few years ago when you could catch them on about anything. I know there are some weed edges and transition areas that would probably be pretty good. Does it work?

In my short time fishing Mille Lacs (6 years), I haven't seen anyone jig. I would be interested to see if there was anyone who did it on a semi-normal basis as well.

I like bumping a jig in the sand on opening weekend. It will produce just as many as rigging. Other than opening, I never use a jig on Mille Lacs

Half the problem with jigging unless your up on the sand is the rocks, rocks, rocks everywhere. Most people (myself included) don't have the touch to keep them out of the rocks.

One of the best fisherman on Mille Lacs is the Griz and I think jigging is his number 1 technique. He probably doesn't jig exclusively but does it a lot in the spring and fall.

If have caught a lot of fish jigging in the spring. I think it's a great technique for Mille Lacs. Obviously most guys rig but there's always fish to be had on jigs.

if you can keep them out of the rocks it works great I use two techniques vertical right over the side witch you have less of a chance on getting hung up or cast it out and ploop it back in. thats what I have my on lock but definatly keep it shalow for opener

When I fish Mille Lacs with my younger sons, I always deadstick their lines with a jig over the side of the boat. They usually do as well as me and even better when fishing is slow. One afternoon my six year old pulled a 26 1/2 and a 28 incher off the mud in the middle of the summer while I didn't have a bite. I myself still have a hard time not live baiting it though I jig frequently on other lakes.

Jigging is a great and under utilized technique on Mille Lacs. Keep your presentation as vertical as possible and be prepared to loose a few jigs.

Many walleyes are caught on a jig under a slip bobber so there is no reason they won't bite a properly presented jig.

Jigs and soft plastics will work at times also. Don't be afraid to experiment.

Good luck! smile.gif

Jeff S

verticle jigging is how I caught my 27 1/2 inch walleye this fall off indian point. everyone else was bobber or trolling only fish caught that we saw that evening...

Yah, I would think jigging up on the sand would work real well, especially if it has been warm. It's the same type of structure that you fish on Winnie and that's all the good ole boys do up there.