• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

bow mount fishfinder power source question?

andy j

Question

I got I new bow mount fishfinder this year and I have always hooked it up to the trolling motor in the past and have never had any problems but I was reading posts on this site that said you shouldnt. I looked under and saw wiring to the tilt/trim switch, bow light, etc. My question is can a tap into one of those wires? If so How? I have also thought about runing wire all the way to the starting battery in the back but It would be a lot of work. Thanks AJ

3 answers to this question

AJ, I've always ran a power source direct from the batt. and never have problems with interference. I would play it safe and go the extra effort of tapping directly to the batt. You won't kick yourself later. Just my opinion I quess. Good luck with the install.

Hooked

My bow light has a separate bulb on the back that is turned on and off with a pushbutton switch on the light itself. This light has a separate power lead from the actual red/green light. If you have the same setup, then that is the way to go, no need to run a separate wire. If not, I would run a new one as Hooked suggested.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Just as Giant_Jackpot said you can tap into an interior light somewhere up in the bow. Thing is it might be tied in with your trolling motors battery. Not all trolling motors will give you problems with interference and I've run my sounders and motor on the same battery and am doing so now without any problems at all. Worst case is you have to run power from the back of the boat, just make sure you have an in-line fuse close to the battery.