• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hello,

First time post on this site but have been looking at the reports for quite a while. Have a couple of questions for you. My parents have a cabin on west rush on the north end and was wondering if anyone had any updates on the crappie fishing. Going to pick up the new boat this weekend and wanted to break 'er in! Also, have fished all my life up there for bass and northerns, but never had much luck on the eye's up there... Probably due to a lack of decent boat and electronics! but that will all change come Saturday! (can you tell I'm excited!) grin.gif anyway, just looking of generic depth and if you want parts of the lake would be great! Thanks!

First off welcome to the site! I don't fish Rush much but there's plenty of people here that do that will probably help you out! You can also scan through or search for Rush Lake and probably come up with some good info!

Thanks! I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this site!

Hey Straits!

Welcome to FM! Rush can be a great lake early in the year for walleyes, look for any "classic" walleye spots. (Points, underwater hump, etc...)

If you are out there on opener stop by and say hello!

(Don't be affraid to try shallow!!)

Cory Frantzick

Any body brave the cold and snow on Saturday? I went out for an hour and broke in the new opti, inbetween snow sqales!

Hey Cory, when you say shallow are you talking 10-15 or say 5-10?

Hey Straits!

Sorry about the delay getting back to you! 5-10 can be very good! Look for the edge of the Curly Leaf Pond Weed. Deep can be very good as well! Look for me out on the lake and say HI! What is your new boat? Is is a Crestliner? I saw a guy having a "Good" Ole time breaking in his new boat!

Cory Frantzick

Sounds good! No, I bought a monark, couldn't afford the crestliner with the options I wanted! smirk.gif what are you driving?

On a side not is your house/cabin just south of the landing on west? I always see a bunch of boats there on opener.

Yep! That's us!

I have a green house with rock on the front of it just south of the access. I will be in a maroon and gold Ranger 619 with a Yamaha on the back....Stop by and say Hi!

Cory Frantzick

I just wanted to say HI, I'm a new member too my son has been a member for a year or so Zman19. Were out on West Rush every weekend, counting the days for opener!

Good luck to everyone!!

I went up to see the in-laws on rush yesterday and did some fishing on east and west rush and found the bite to be non-exhistant. We got a few small sunnies a 6in largemouth and a small perch. It didn't get as warm as they said either, very windy also, to bad I couldn't get out on fri., that was a nice day.

The milfoil is really growing like crazy in the lakes right now. When they kill the weeds it is going to be really nasty on the lake there again, like last year or worse.

Hey Black Max

Is that milfoil you are seeing or Curly Leaf Pondweed? Curly Leaf is already starting to mat up. Are you going to be on Rush for the opener?

Cory Frantzick

Now that you mention it I think it prob. was curly pond leaf. There is alot of the green snotty weeds in east rush already also. As far as the opener I will be up on the st. louis river this year for a change. I normally end up on rush for the opener, but this year I am going to change things up. I know it's going to be colder, but the fishing will be so much better also. I'll prob give rush a try to following weekend and then I'll be up on winnie for the holiday weekend slamming some eyes up there with the family.

Good choice on the St. Louis! That is a fun fishery to fish! Lots of people on opener there, but, where isn't there?

On another note on Rush, It sounds like they are spraying for the "Off Shore" (meaning 150' from shore) Curly Leaf Pond Weed today. Wonder what that will do to the fishing this weekend? Too bad it couldn't have been done earlier, but, the cold windy weather apparently hampered that.

Cory Frantzick

Hey Cory! Only 3 days left! Tried to get out to the family thing going on in IA this weekend but just couldn't (wife's side) so well be up there on saturday around dinner time! Question for you or all... why do they spray the weeds on rush if they are doing it 150' away from shore... I could see them doing it in some places around the shoreline...? Just curious I guess cause I know what it did last year to the fishing. not good. thanks!

They spray 150 feet out because that is where the majority of the Curly Leaf Pond Weed beds are. Curly Leaf likes to grow from 5-9 feet on Rush. I will be interesting to see what happens! Feel free to stop over Saturday when you are out there! I live on the West side of West Rush across from Wilson Island. I have a HUGE willow stum in my yard that we call the "Chia Pet".

Cory Frantzick

Cory,

Your the only person that I know of that has a Chia pet in the shape of a willow stump tongue.gif (now that's talent) I am going to try to get a hold of ya this evening.

"hooks"

Starting to think that I should have bought a snowmobile for opener! Snow/sleet/rain on the way to work this morning! What do you guys think about fishing this weekend now? Deep/shallow?

I didn't catch anything, but I only went out for a couple hours on Sunday morning. I didn't see anyone else catching anything either though.

Was out Saturday morning - I saw one fish caught, but not in my boat! We had nothing. Spent 4 hours, then called it a day.

My boat got 6 walleye's total, from 14 inches to 18 inches. Only fished Saturday morning from 7 am to 11 am. The boy and a friend of mine caught the walleyes. All I did was lose 9 gammies with small shiners to the toothy critters. The nightcrawlers were hot. The boy picked up three in the yard, before we left for the lake, and he had the first walleye in the boat in the first five minutes of fishing. The bites seemed to end about 9:30 to 10:00 am. Was not fast and furious, but there was some action, just wish I could have gotten off of the schnide.

Certainly wasn't the best of openers, but we did end up with enough walleyes for a cook out Saturday night for 11 guys. Most of the walleyes were from 16"-19" with one 21 1/2 and a 27-28" lost at the side of the boat.

So all in all it wasn't the "WORST" opener, but between the weather and the catching its right up there!

It was GREAT to get to see some of my old high school buddies, that was what made the whole weekend GREAT!

Cory Frantzick