• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WHAT GIVES WITH THE GAS PRICES

Monday the AP network news claimed that nation wide gas dropped 4 cents a gallon. Guess they did not survey the twin ports area. Love how gas will jump 10 cents a gallon in a few hours and takes months to go back down if ever. grin.gif

yeah! 205 yesterday and 219 today...I guess the meeting between Bush and the Saudies did not go over too well...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Theres always some excuse. If its not the price per barrel its that the refineries can't produce fast enough or they're switching over to summer blend.

Makes you feel any better.....$1.99/gallon here in the St.Cloud area grin.gif

BUT I hear you man, pretty sick to see gas prices up $.70-.80 higher this year than last year at this time. Tell me who is makin' a killing on this?!?!

Tell me about it....Bought a diesel pick-up this last fall and 2 days after I got it, it was the first time the price of fuel ever went higher than gas. I am paying $2.31. Yeah I get about 20mpg but it still costs a bunch to fill!

Want to know why gas prices are what they are?... think about this..$2.50 for a bottle of tap water...just the price of doing business man. Simple supply and demand all the other noise out there is just that,noise.

If you're paying $2.50 for a bottle of water you're absolutly nuts. I have a flex fuel vechcle and I'm paying $1.49 now for E85. To hell with those oil rich countries, let's start supporting our own.

$2.50 a bottle of water would come to over $40 per gallon. $40 x 20 gallons is $160 to fill my van's tank. I do not think the compaison is relistic, unless you buy 20 gallons of H2O a week, which I imagine you do not.

If we compare water to gas, then a more realistic approach would be to compare it to what the city charges us on our water bill each month. What is the price per galon from the tap in the city?

Duluth has been at $2.09 for 3 weeks and jumped to $2.19 today. The whole city fixes their prices at one price.

I see what your saying about buying 20 gals of water a week but the point is that people are WILLING to pay that amount for WATER..in some peoples opinions GAS is worth more than water and in some cases is.

True, each case is different. I talk to my Canadian friends and they think we got it lucky on the gas. Plus, I dring about a gallon of bottled water a week, but I buy a gallon at a time.

Let's keep those beer and brats prices down while we are at it. A guy has to live!

shocked.gif I dont know about any one else but chisholm and hibbing 2.02and 2.039. They say there is no price fixing and just call it supply and demand.

I'm kinda laughing down here in the cities, gas prices are up and on the Super America's they have the "State Minimum" prices sign out for the smokes...I think they want us to smoke again hahahaha

There was a blurp on channel 11 news last night, about a small, mom and pop gas station that got fined $75,000 for not selling gas a the state minium price. Pretty steep fine for selling gas a few cents cheaper. They are going to fight it. I would rather be paying 2 bucks for a bottle of ketchup.

Here in northern Wisconsin the prices just jumped up to $2.25 gal and we have a refinery right here in Superior! confused.gif

It is all about the State tax on the gas, unfortunately it doesn't matter where the refinerys are.

I was in Duluth yesterday and was very suprised to see $2.19 when the gas prices up here are at $2.04

Wierd, but it is better for me than you. grin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

There is a Sinclair (i think it is) gas station 4-6 miles out of town on 61 that is usually 10 cents cheaper than Duluth has. Always hit it up when running to Two Harbors or fishing rivers up that way. Its the gas station that is a machine pay ran operation.

The part that baffles me is, the gas they sell in Duluth is the same gas as in Virginia, Hibbing..., How can they truck it 75 miles and sell it for less when it all comes from the same pipe!

I call it supply and screw! Especially when all these major oil companies are claiming record 4th quarter profits!

Gas prices bug drivers, boost refiners

As the petroleum industry reports massive profits, analysts expect pump prices to stay high through summer vacations

Monday, May 02, 2005

MICHAEL LIEDTKE

SAN FRANCISCO -- Pumped up by persistently high energy prices, the oil industry maintained its streak of massive and growing quarterly profits last week, aggravating motorists and amazing financial analysts.

"I have been following this industry for 18 years, and I have never seen anything like this," Fadel Gheit, an Oppenheimer & Co. analyst, said Friday. "It's like they're printing money."

The results of the world's four largest oil companies illustrate just how well the industry has fared lately. Since the end of 2003, Royal Dutch/Shell Group of Cos., BP Group, ExxonMobil Corp. and ChevronTexaco Corp. have earned a combined $97 billion, including $23 billion during the first three months of this year.

--------------------------------------

Unreal. Just makes me sick.

The major gas companies such as Exxon/Mobil are recording some of the highest profits ever, BUT I know for a fact that the local stations in the area are loosing money every day. The state mandates that gas will be sold for no less than 5 cents over cost. Our local stores need between 10 and 12 cents profit per gallon to make a profit. As it turns out, we drive that. We won't go to a station that has two pumps and no canopy to protect us from the elements. A pint of water cost about the same as a gallon of gas.

I know this because I work with stations everyday. I know that there was more profit when gas was $1.60 a gallon than there is now.

If you want to complain about something, complain about the fact that a new stripped down F150 cost almost as much as a house. I know guys that own a new Hummer and complain about the price of gas or the price of a loaf of bread while they are buying $20 buck worthof loto tickets. WHAT?????

Understand that the price of gas is dictated buy Opec, not your local station owners that also live next door to you. All they want is a chance to make an ok living just like the rest of us. The only differance is that they may have dumped a half a million in a dream that may never work for them and all the rest of us do is go to work every day and let someone eles take the risk. The guy that holds the price down to 5 cents below cost is the one that is really costing you money. If a store can't make money outside, they need to bring the prices up inside. If you haven't noticed, the same 50 cent candy bar cost the same as it did 10 years ago. The only thing that has gone up is gas and water.

Just my thoughts here knowing the facts. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

It is hard to see how the Brainard/Staples area, which has a population less then Duluth area (90,000+) can sell gas at $1.99, while Duluth was at $2.19 last week. You would think that more customers would equal more profit and as a result a lower price set for the customer.

Yes it kinda makes ya wonder how in one area they can charge $.17 less than another area 70 miles away. We are paying $2.02 up here in Chisholm and we saw $2.19 in Duluth on Sunday. And that is with the law that they must charge a certain price over their cost, I have heard that law is $.08 per gallon over cost. The stations up here must be getting it cheaper that Duluth. I don't know how that could be though when they need to ship it 4 times as far crazy.gif

Does Duluth have a citywide tax that they have to put on everything? That would explain the price increase.

True, the tax in Duluth is higher on everything. If you buy a car or trailer out of city limits, they find out through the state registror and send you a tax bill in the mail 2 months later for what you owe the city because you operate it in city limits. Geeeeze!

I love Duluth and do not want to live anywhere else. People up here really live the outdoors, but give me a break on the costs....