• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know this probably isnt the right spot to post this but ive never been able to find any morrels up here and i know its a few weeks early, but i was just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck in the D-town area. Area tips are greatly appreciated laugh.gif thanks cameron

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

ReefRaker and I hit the mother load down south last year while turkey hunting. We picked 3 coolers full. I haven't looked to hard around here but look for an elm with the bark falling off.

mush.jpg

Just a few from our take. grin.gif

I have never found them up here. That is not to say that they are not around. I also cashed in on them last year while turkey hunting. I justified not getting a turkey on finding a ton of morrels. I have found them under elms, and dead cotton woods. Good luck!

I have harvested morrels north of Duluth, but have NEVER seema patch wich would produce the number you have in your pic. WOW!

Mushrooms you can eat and not get sick or die. More like HEAVEN for us who love frying them up with sauteed pork chops, cooking wine, and a touch of freshly ground pepper.

They're Morrels

mush1.jpg

Oh I see, the kind that make you high as hell. I have heard of those before. I have heard others describe it as heaven also. Not my thing but good for you guys. grin.gif

Those are as pretty as a 10 pound walleye! Found a few in Quetico on a Memorial Weekend trip once about three years ago. We keep checking the same spot, none since. Only about 15 or so of them, but they were great w/sauteed walleyes.

Those are as pretty as a 10 pound walleye! Found a few in Quetico on a Memorial Weekend trip once about three years ago. We keep checking the same spot, none since. Only about 15 or so of them, but they were great w/sauteed walleyes.

What are you goofy? Nothin' better than a 10lb Walleye, unless of coarse it's an 11lber. grin.gif Junky....

Hey junky, I bet you think those 10 pounders taste good too?Anyone can dumb into a 10 pound walleye. Those morel's are a thing of beauty. grin.gif

Quote:

Oh I see, the kind that make you high as hell. I have heard of those before. I have heard others describe it as heaven also. Not my thing but good for you guys.
grin.gif

That's a different kind of shroom! Not Morrels.

Twisted minds produce twisted thoughts. Your twist on Morrels is most twisted twister.

When I first moved to Duluth in mid June last year, this tasty morrel was right in the backyard! What luck, I thought. If anyone can date a morell from past the Summer Solstice let me know, I'm not to very familiar with their season...

Later- CLoma

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y71/casaloma/Morrel.jpg

Loma,

I am no shroom expert by any means, but here are what a few people go by for when to start looking. One is 3 nights when the temp doesn't get below 50. (and a rain helps too) Others say when the lalics (sp) start to bud. Others say when the aspen buds are the size of squirrels ears. Yet others say that when they see white flowers growing on the trees in the ditch it's time to go shrooming. I am sure they grow later in the spring also, but it's harder to see them with all the ground cover. I usually stick to the 1st one with the 3 nights above 50, and some rain. But those are some of the guidelines I have heard from the long-time shroomers. I hope in some small way this helps. grin.gif

Good Luck!

Muskie

MMMMMMMMorels. Wow, those are the big uns from S MN. I found some like that at Fort Snelling State Park under dead elms a long time ago. I like dipping them in cracker crumbs and egg and frying in butter.

Moist aspen woods are a good place to find them in N MN. Last year I picked for 3 weeks because of the cool weather, which is a long time to be able to pick. They can come up over nite when conditions are right. I would wait for the next warm snap (I SURE HOPE THATS SOON!!!) and start checking. My experience has been within a week or so of the fishing opener is the time to get them up north.

This sounds weird but new cutovers are a good place too especially along landings where theres been a lot of disturbance. But look for moist to wet aspen woods, even 10-20 year old aspen.

good luck and enjoy them , they're grrreaaat!

I've never found any around the Duluth area. Last spring I found a who mess of them north of Orr. I think its a little early yet, especially since the last week or so has been cool.

Stir fried in butter and leeks on top of a big fat porterhouse........I just drooled on myself....

Well, if you guys do get into a batch of them I know a "guy" that will take them off off your hands for service in a restaurant. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifObviously not for free.

I am SO full right now. I just got back from the Kirksville MO area and we hit it big again this year. I just had a huge batch for brkfst. I always take my cleanings and through them in the back yard in the shade and in a few weeks I get about a half a dozen if they don't get hit with the lawn mower. I can get a turkey at the store any time, but there is nothing like a fresh Morel. The first three days were real slow because of the cold, but the last day, the sun came out and they were popping out all over in just a matter of a few hours. We found one mess that had about 50 four inchers in it.

If anyone knows were they might be around here and would like to go hunting for them within a 100 miles of here, let me know. I will take that trip before any other and would be more than happy to do the driving. grin.gifgrin.gif

(tomd at odayequipment dot com)

Your are making me hungry. What did you make the morels up with for the meal? Fried chicken for us tonight; good, but I envy you....

While we were hunting, we hit a little lake and got a batch of crappies. That was to die for. This morning, I just had them by themselves as a big snack and fried some more for lunch in butter.

I have chicken on the grill right now to go with the next batch. i am on the way to having enough for a while, so I am going to start drying about 5 gallons of the tonight for soups and gravy,s. Got to love em.

tcbrookston, If you have to many I know a guy that would take a few off your hands. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

I'll be hunting the last season again, hope theres still a few around by then.

You guys are a little too fond of those mushrooms. They must do alot more than just taste good, I think they are magic mushrooms, if you know what I mean. And if they are as good as you guys claim, where the hell can I get some?