• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wish I knew a bit more about the current status of this fishery I love chasing big pannys but this is one lake I can say I have never fished. Is the shrimp thing really an issue or something to blame the poor fishing on. Most lake I fish with strong shrimp populations are excellent for both numbers and size of quality fish confused.gif

I am from south central MN, and my wife wants to go camping on osakis this year because she heard the fishing is good. Is this true and can anyone give me pointers on where to start fishing on the lake at different times of the year, we don't know when we will go camping there yet. I know I want to go to devils lake up there, because that is an easy lake to fish and we usually have luck. Please help me out, I promise I practice catch and release.

I practice C&R too but i think osakis is just one of them hush - hush lakes who knows I still haven't fished it.

My grandma and grandpa live on the lake for the past two seasons now. How ever i only make it up there about three weekends a year when i do get there i fish hard, all day every day. I have had great luck with the walleyes and sunfish however i have never caught a crappie on the main lake only in the channels this time of year. The sunfish action is great all year, the sunnies move way back in the reeds and u navigate through the smallest pockets you can find and beleive me the biggens will be waiting. 9' in sunnies out of there, its great. But when im in the boat alone im fishing walleyes, the best bet for them if u have never fished the lake before go where the boats are, there are usally about three spots on the south end and w/e one has that most boats thats where they are biting. I like to get away from the boats and find my own luck but not very often does this happen cause i am also new to the lake

Last year I bought a place on Osakis because I like the lake and like the area. Last year the walleye bite was pretty poor although the panfish bite was decent. This winter ice fishing for all species was brutal. Not that the lake doesn't have some fish but there is a tremendous amount of natural forage in the water right now. Take it for what its worth since this was last year and during ice over, but with so many lakes in the region to choose from if I was planning a weekend get away focussed on my wife's desire to catch some fish, I think I'd pick another lake until I heard the fishing had improved. I know from first hand experience its no fun to be out with the wife unless she's an avid angler and talk give her the "But look at all the fish on the graph" speech while the bait just goes untouched.

If you want too just catch fish Osakis is a great lake too visit. Something is always biting out there. We were up there 2 years ago for a week around Memorial day week and we caught everything and lots of them. Sunnies, northerns, and a few huge slab crappies by day, and pounded the walleyes after dark. I found the lake too be very very easy too fish.

That was a good year & they started earlier than normal. You're right it is a great lake, but you also happened to hit it perfect that year, when it was "turned on". If you fish it sometime when it's "turned off", you'll swear there's no fish in the lake, it's that kind of lake. There's a ton of very impressive dogfish to be caught.

Having said that there's usually northerns & or bass to be caught. Most of the northerns are in the 1-2lb. range.

Yeah it was "on" that year. That was the third time i've spent a week on the lake and all three times were very good too me. Funny thing was though 2 years ago when we were up there the walleye fishing the first couple weeks we were told were very very poor. We went through a half pound of leeches in 3 evenings and went too get another half pound at the bait shop and the owner couldnt believe we were catching eyes, he was pulling on us too give him some info. We were fishing where plenty of other boats were fishing, we just stayed longer and thats when they bit.

When you say stayed longer, you mean into the night ?

I was assuming you meant at night. If so, I pretty much don't fish at night during the softwater season other than for crappies in the spring occasionally. I believe that they certainly could be biting at night when they aren't during the day. I hate mosquitos & bug spray, when it gets dark I head for home, plust I usually have to work the next day, or go to church, or something.

Yes longer into the night. Many nights there were over a dozen boats along with us around sunset but by about 10:00 we were alone and when things quieted down the fish got going. Some nights by 10:00 we had nothing but a few rock bass but we ended up with 20 eyes or better in the next couple hours. I think our best night that week we kept 8 nice 16-18" fish and threw back 15 fish that were about 13-14" and also a 23" and a very plump 25 1/2" fish. For some reason people were surprised we were getting them on leeches that early in the season, im not sure why they were surprised, it didnt seem too early too me.

During the day we spent our time probing the shallows for big bluegills and spent some time trolling for northerns. If it wasnt too windy in the late afternoon we went up in the reeds and hunted big slabbers. We had great luck fishing big sunnies and a couple days we really got some huge crappies.