• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Stone tips for 1st timer...

Heading out to work on the in-laws new cabin this weekend with a buddy & bringing the boat to get some fishin in as well. Have never fished the lake before. We will be on the MN side, north of the state park a few miles (just north of Salmonson point). Is there any advise anyone can give us for finding a few eyes??? Where is the closest landing - will launch on Friday & leave the boat in the water for the weekend... Thanks for any help. CAMO

Watch out for the rocks! Lots of rock piles and boulders in the lake, great places to find a few walleyes or lose a lower unit. There are some good maps available at the bait shops in the area.

Most of the people I know who have succes on Big Stone use snagless Lindy rigs and or bottom bouncers while drifting or slowly trolling across points or rock piles. Once fish are found at a particular depth follow that countour on the map or by sonar. Another good tactic at dusk and dawn is to fish within casting distance of rocky shoreline or riprap and cast deep running cranks into a foot or so of water and bounce it along the bottom slowly back to the boat.

There are a couple of landings in the state park and another about three miles south of the northern most end of the lake.

Here's the best tip: Hang on to your hat!! The wind likes to blow on Big Stone. grin.gif The above tips are good ones. If you're fishing during the day, you can sometimes find fish in the shallows. The water should be pretty clear, so look for places that the carp are. (Cloudy water) Throw jigs or cranks right up against the shore and hang on, as you may accidently snag a carp. Good Luck!!

MJ

The above info is great!! I would say that during the low light periods stay near the shore lines with rocks and gravel. Casting rapalas and jigs with soft plastics or live bait is the way to go here. These areas can produce fish all day long if the water is cloudy or if it is windy!

During the daylight hours Trolling crankbaits over the deeper water adjacent to the rocky shorelines or over deeper structure can put a limit in the boat as well. If the fish aren't in that particular area then just keep moving around.

I also have had good success off of the docks and in the boat with slip bobbers at night. You can use two lines so I like to cast with one rod and fish a fathead, leech, or chub on a slip bobber teamed with a glow hook or jig on the other.

These are just a few of the basic techniques that have put many fish in the boat for me but there are many ways to fish Big Stone. If the fishing is slow just think "outside of the box" you may stumble across a pattern that will catch you some eyes when nothing else will.

GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.... all of this info will be digested & hopefully the fishing gods look on us favorably. We are looking forward to the trip & hopefully the weather is decent. Good luck to all! I will give a report next week.

I haven't fished Big Stone since I was a kid and I was thinking about heading in that direction this weekend too. What are the regulations for this lake? Do I need an SD license or can I fish with a MN license. The previous posts have been great, thanks for the info.

You can use your MN license, check the regs out for the rest.

Good luck.

Ole

The regs for walleyes on Big Stone are as follows:

-4 Walleyes

-nothing under 14"

-only 1 over 20"

-two lines can be used per person

-Minnesota License is valid on either side of the lake

The rest of the regulations are the same as minnesota inland waters regulations, although I think perch may be different with a higher limit of 25 on Big Stone but I am not sure on this (Check the border water regs to be sure).

Hope this helps and Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fishnguy i think you are wrong on the no walleye under 14 they did away with that. it is 4 walleyes and only 1 over 20 if you think i am lying you can check and prove me wrong. but iam 99.9% sure that this is right

How are the water levels on Big Stone? Is the lake still low? Thanks

Thanks again for all the info guys... if you see an older 16' red lund w/ a 50 tiller & two guys that look lost, give us a wave!! Good luck to all...

That's good to hear. It was pretty low out there the last couple of years. Good luck to everyone this weekend, hopefully the wind won't blow you off the lake. I won't be out there until next weekend. I'll be sitting at a wrestling tournement wishing I was on the water. frown.gif Can't wait to hear the reports.Good Luck Again! grin.gif

Thanks Fellas

Yep I was wrong. No slot any more except for the 1 over 20".

GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!

One tip I would like to mention or second for all them first timers, is dress like an eskimo would. I have been to bigstone for many years now and I can't remember one where it wasn't cold. I can remember one year there was 6-8 inches of snow on the ground and windy. Did I say windy? Its never windy on bigstone opener is it? I predict its going to be cold, but not so windy this year. Goodluck to everyone.

This is a little off subject but can anyone suggest a place to pull-up by boat for lunch and a cold one on Big Stone?

Shore

Ok, any of the landing are great. The state park is about in the middle of the lake.

Hartford Beach Resort on the SD side is an excellent place to stop for a bite. They are very close to Hartford State Park as you might guess.

I think a place called Mallard Point Resort or something like that is on the MN side to pull up to to eat and have a cold one also.

Sorry I'm not real specific here as far as location.

MJ