• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka crappie update

Didn't say pink didn't work. My son did great with it. It was just too weird for me. I'd see that pink thing comig at me and it just didn't seem right. Got a new experiment planned. I have some 3" paddletails I use on Pool 4. Going to cut one down to 1.5" or so and see what happens. TB and I catch crappies on Pool 4 using 4" ringworms so my theory is the bigger crappies in Tonka will be attracted to the larger profile and then little dinks will leave it alone. Might even cutdown a 4" ringie to 2" and throw that. Let you know how it worked. Sometimes bigger really is better.

Last night on P2 those bigger crops were taking down the entire 4" ringie no problem. I've tried them on Tonka a few times, but it's hard to keep those green carp away. grin.gif

I went to tonka for the first time yesterday and did great. We kept 12 crappies between 11-14 inches. 3 were over 13. We also caught plenty of nice bass. It was fun and we were the only people in the spot. We also caught plenty of smaller crappies that we threw back. Pink and white Flu-Flus worked best. Beetle spins worked good for the bigger crappies.

I was out after 3pm and made it back just before the rain. 2 LM bass and 3 crappies, only one was a keeper. Used orange/yellow under a float. Boy was it windy!!

Went out last night for about an hour in the Halsteads area. It looked like it was going to be a nice night weatherwise until I got on the lake ofcourse. Got a few smaller crappies and a nice bass. The weather didn't hold out for me and I had to go in since I didn't bring any rain gear.

I brought rain gear but fishing wasn't great. Found one area where crappies were getting into the spawn mode. Lots of very black males and some good size. My honey hole has shut down so I assume that bunch of fish is also headed for a spawning area. So crappies were not out deep but weren't busy in shallow either. Water temps 58 in main lake 61 in shallows. The next few days will mess that up. Milfoil is already 1 ft under the surface in shallow coves/bays making fishing a little tougher. I am thinking I have to find a school of main lake spawners and forget the shallow types for this year.

Got a 13' out of there on my double secret honey hole...

DSCF0222.JPG

I look like one in that picture!! I was coming off a night of about 4 hours of sleep... young kids.......

Not to shabby there Buzzsaw, and I know how it is having those young'ns around!

Buzzsaw, did you ever think about shrinking down the photo to make it easier to view? Try to right click on the photo, select paint, go to image, sketch and skew, and tool the percentages. I use 40 or 50 percent and it shrinks it down nicely.

Good Luck and nice fish,

Corey Bechtold

Thanks Corey!! That should help cut down on the download time. Now if only I could white out the head shot. grin.gif