• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnetonka crappie update

Real slow fishing. Water temps have dropped about 6 degrees. Fish have moved out of the shallows for the most part. Was able to catch a fair number of crappies Sunday but last night was down to three. Bass and sunnies are still around in the shallow bays and coves. Expect crappies to move back in by the weekend. Just too windy last night to fish out in the main lake or even the channels I have been fishing. Deeper water in Seton/Black/Emerald should still be OK for some crappies but I didn't get there last night.

I was out on Maxwell this morning with not a crappie to be had. Tried practically everything. Probably should have tried the setons/black/emerald area. Heven't quite figured out the cold front bite on Tonka yet. Maybe I'll get schooled tonight? The only thing I caught was a 29" northern on ultralight; that was real fun grin.gifgrin.gif.

Quote:

Real slow fishing. Water temps have dropped about 6 degrees. Fish have moved out of the shallows for the most part. Was able to catch a fair number of crappies Sunday but last night was down to three. Bass and sunnies are still around in the shallow bays and coves. Expect crappies to move back in by the weekend. Just too windy last night to fish out in the main lake or even the channels I have been fishing. Deeper water in Seton/Black/Emerald should still be OK for some crappies but I didn't get there last night.

Mark - you say the water temp dropped by 6 deg, what did you see for temps where you were at? I was out on Waconia last sunday, very slow for crappies as well. Saw temps ranging from 52 to 56 degrees and not much action in any of the shallow water I fished. Hopefully it will improve soon with some more stable (and warm) weather!

I dont even bother fishing in a cold front. I wait till warmer weather till I can put the kid and the Mrs. on some active fish. Otherwise they get too bored.

Water temps were 49/50 in main lake up to a balmy 52 in the shallow back bays. Need some sun to get things moving again.

Mark, Calvinist and Tonka Boy, It was nice to fish with you guys last night, your a classy bunch of guys! grin.gif It was a wierd weather night... the wind and light rain combo was a bit brutal for the first hour or so but then it calmed down and turned out to be a nice evening. We saw the fish stacked in a few area's and I look forward to going out and trying our luck again when the bite turns back on. I can probably get out once a week in the evenings (M-F) so lets keep in touch!

I went fishing on Tonka this morning and all I caught was one crappy crappie mad.gif! I tried the backwater areas of gray's bay, Tanagers lake, and peavy (where I caught the ONE crappy crappie). Those shallow backwater area's look like they might produce once things warm up again. Guess I'll have to go try it again tonight for a couple hours.

Buzzsaw,

It was a pleasure fishing in your nice boat. At least we all caught at least one fish. Thanks for taking us out. Maybe next time them fishies will be on fire, eh?

Buzzsaw, great to meet you. As for fishing I'm thinking by Monday we will be on track. I'll be out there Friday and Sat. Will keep you posted. I really liked Buzzsaw's spot. Might have to try it Friday.

Thanks again Buzz. Mark and I are heading back out tonight so maybe we can nail this cold front thing down. If not, it's got to get warmer sometime! Keep us posted and we'll give it another go.

Ice9,

In the grays bay area, probably won't get onto the water till after 10pm...if I'm not too tired. Maybe sometime next week we could hook up for some fishing. My work schedule is wierd next week so I can't go monday, tuesday, or wed. Pick a day after that and I should be able to get out.

Went out for about an hour and a half last night. Things were really SLOW! I caught 2 10" crappies within five minutes of each other, a couple light bites, and that was about it. I'm going to Sarah this AM, see if I can locate some crappies, and also some gills. If I can find either, I might take my son out there tomorrow. I can't wait for the warm weather to return cool.gif.

Tonka Boy had to cancel at last minute but I went out. Just plain nasty. 3 decent crappies and a dozen green carp two about 3lbs. Not bad I guess considering. Bailed out after two hours. Got broke off on both of rods and my fingers were just too numb to bother with rerigging. Headed out Friday and Sat. Hopefully it will get better for crappies and worse for the green carp.

Weather was just nasty but I was out Friday and Sat. Nothing shallow but my go to spot continues to put out fish. About a dozen each night over 10" and still mostly males - starting to show spawning colors and I have cleaned a few for dinners. Had a middle size musky grab a small crappie last night - lot of fun on 4lb test. Way to big for the net and just would not let go of the crappie. I am too cheap to donate jigheads so we locked up for about 10 minutes. Finally let go of the crappie and swam off. Happens every year but they typically let go when they see the boat - this one came to the boat three times before giving up. I'll keep updating - matter of days before the crappie bite gets in full swing.

Thanks for the updates Mark! I'm going to try and get out on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday evening... I'll talk to you guys this week to see what you have planned.

Mike

I accompanied Buzzsaw last night (Wednesday). We did OK - we kept six maybe caught 15-20. I don't think they were shallow yet as we caught most of ours in 6-10 feet. We also marked a nice school in 15' and suspended at 10-12'. Great night to be out (finally!!!).

shorelunch....how was the traffic out there? Did you notice if alot of the big boats are in the drink yet? I am planning on hitting it this weekend and wondering how much of a circus i may be getting into...

thanks...

longcaster,

you should be OK this weekend it is supposed to rain so the circus should be kept to a minimum. I'll be out there on Sat. pre-dawn fishing the crappies.

Later,

Chris

Crappies were suspended over deep water most of the day but if you hang out until night they move shallow. We caught a few keeper fish last night and a mess of the 6 to 9 inch types. All on plastics and almost all after sunset. Part of the issue is the cold front killed the algae/plankton and the water is really clear now. Ice fishing clear. That is keeping the baitfish and the crappies out a little deeper.

Mark,

Are you hittin' the drink tonight? Barring bad weather I should be able to get out. Probably try Setons, but may wander over to Phelps if I am not getting any action after dark at Setons.

Long Caster, the traffic was minimal. The most boats we saw were in Seten's. It 's great to be out there right now through next Friday . . .

Not able to go out until Sat and that is iffy. Next week looks to be wide open. Bite should be on by then for sure. Oh went out with Chuck from this site. He had some of Crappie Tom's new plastics. Deadly on sunnies but less so on the crappies. He was using the purple/chartreuse both types and I was using the Culprit Junebug. We did like the fall rate better on the Stub Grub - ribbing makes a difference. Crappies just didn't want it last night.

I'll be headed out tomorrow night - taking my boss and was wondering about some good spots. I have tradionally fishing Tanager or Old Grandma Bay. Small fish from these areas. Without giving away "secret" spots, any tips on where I can get my boss on crappies????

My action the last 2 weeks has been SLOW......

Do you mean Grandpa's bay?? the small shallow bay near The Arcola bridge?? I did Okay there many years ago and have never got squat since!

Mark, I won't be able to get out til next week... we'll have to hook up.

Trailblazin,

You might want to try Seton,s lake. I have had good luck the last three times I went out there; I just got back tonight and caught about 20 nice crappies in a little over an hour. Then they just quit! Pink paddletails 2' under a fixed float were catching fish. Pop your float and occasionally reel in slow. Look in about 8-10 fow, you should find fish there. With the warmer weather though, you may want to try shallower. Gotta keep the boss happy, right? cool.gif

Hey Calvinist,

Are a Calvinist in the theological sense? If so, I'd really like to talk to you. My email address is [email protected].

I don't know how the Seton bite is but I have had better action from 8:30pm on. Water temp was 56 in some shallow coves Wed. Should be 60 by tonight so I would hit some of the backwater coves. The U-shaped cove in Halstaed's for example. Seton and Black will be a zoo but fish will be there. Like Calvinist I have had better fishing with paddletails of late although I just can't get comfortable with that pink one. I use the junebug until dark then switch to the glowtail version. If you are going the jig/minnow route chartreuse/white colors have been the best.

Carpfisher,

To answer your question, yes I am wink.gif; I assume you are also? I tried to shoot you an e-mail this morning, but couldn't connect. Maybe check your address? I live pretty close to the Tonka gray's bay launch; if you want to meet up with me tonight (or some other night) at about 10-10:30pm, I have a place I go for some night time crappie action...I also want to check out another spot. Post on here if you are interested. Or if you want to get out some evening next week, that would probably work too. That would give us a chance to talk. Where do you fish?

before 5pm tonight

[email protected]

after 5pm

[email protected]

Mark,

That's funny you don't have any luck with pink, because I have had nothing but action on pink the last two times I went out. Weird!