• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Its getting closer! We will be heading up around Alex for the opener and were wondering what the bite forcast might be like. how will the water temps be,how far along in relation to spawing,etc. Must be some locals with some ideas!! Thanks in advance.

I too will be up at Alex for the opener. Traditionally I am on Minnetonka for the opener, where we always get fish. Even though family plans have changed this tradition this year, I am hopeful to continue the trend of catching a few fish. What I am curious about are lakes that have potential for decent walleye catches. I can scout out a lake myself, I am just a little unsure about where to start. Our cabin is west of town, so I was thinking Mary, Reno, or Latoka??? If people don't want to make the info public I can be contacted by email at [email protected] Thanks!

Always tough to forecast a bit 15-17 days out...especially in Minnesota. We had reports of water temps in the upper 50's last week on Ida and parts of the chain. But it's been much cooler and windy lately, so we may have chilled a bit. We'll try and post some updates after the border opener this week.

One would hope that the bite will be decent, since it was lacking much of the ice season.

As for lakes west of town, Mary and Reno draw the crowds. Latoka can be good, but typically warms later, but the crappie fishing there could be a nice back up. There are a few smaller lakes to consider too, like Whiskey or Stowes. Oscar has some potential too.

The way the spring has come on...if we get temps back in the 60's and the water warms again, the Chain could offer some good opportunities...

good luck and good fishing

If this weather keeps up for much longer we'll all have to head south tho find some warm water. I would say the walleyes spawned real good through the first warm spell after Ice out. I would expect a post spawn situation, I wouldn't expect alot of females to shallow unless they've had enough time to recoop and the bait comes back in.

Oh yeah I've been known to be wrong on opener very many times any body really know what they are up too in the here and now. Is it gonna be a shore bite or a boat bite any thoughts? confused.gif

Not this year i made that mistake last year, maybe if it gets warm enough but last year that was like july before that happened!!

I am thinking probably lake Emily. I know the walleyes got killed this winter, but the lake is really shallow and warms up quick with the mud bottom. With the cold couple of weeks, its anyones guess what to do or where to go. Good luck everyone

OMG did the wind start to change directions . . . There is a god. A southwest wind brewin up I think the fevers coming back again gotta go smile.gif

If the weather warms up, I will be on lake reno for the opener. Hit it at midnight and then a guy doesn't have to fight the crowds. Goodluck everyone.