• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

#1 reason?

fishingmike0770

Jerknperch: I appreciate your posts on the migration...and I hope you continue to do so.

I've been doing the same thing you do since I was your age every fall(So Dak, No Dak, Manitoba, Saskatch, Montana) and a lot of my partners do as well. Some people here just don't take waterfowling to this lever cause of other personal reasons (and we ARE jealous: MN sucks - I'm kidding; well not really.)

Let's not turn this into who's a better hunter/fisherman like we all tend do so much.

My #1 reason - to see my lab lovin' it 10X more than I do.

does not matter if I shoot one or none. I just responded to the reason we all hunt is not just killing alone, rather the respect that goes with it.

I dont mind seeing the pics and hearing the stories JerkinPerchSD has, as long as he's within the law.

And lastly, everyone has their own reasons for hunting, if it differs from yours, big deal.

And lastly grin.gif, the reason I hunt is because there aint nothing better than watchin the sillouets of a flock of mallards come right down into your decoys just before sunrise.

I"everyone has their own reasons for hunting, if it differs from yours, big deal" I like that. I've hunted waterfowl over 40 years. My reasons for going out change as I get older. Hard to believe maybe, but there has been times in recent years when I finish putting out the decoys and just lay back and enjoy. Don't even uncase the gun sometimes. 30-40 years ago it was about the opposite. Only regrets I have is you young guys can't imagine the hunting we had in the 60's. Reasons why are a whole other post. Hey, stay legal, enjoy hunting the way you want! Hopefully put some energy into the effort being made to bring back our wetlands. If we don't get involved we'll all be out just enjoying the sunset as there will be nothing to shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

I go to get away from my wife. laugh.gif

To the powers that be: Why on earth would you refer to JerknPerch as a troll? I saved the page if you want to take a look. Or just in case "someone" changed it. He has never "trolled" on this site.

OUR minds belongs to our work, Our hearts to our family, But Our souls belongs to Waterfowling.

IT'S IN OUR BLOOD

Quote:

OUR minds belongs to my work, Our hearts to our family, But Our souls belongs to Waterfowling.

i would have to say that my mind does not belong to your work... smile.gif

My mind belongs to work, My heart belongs to my family, but My Soul belongs to the marsh/woods...

• 2 weeks later...

Well ralph,couldn't have said it any better myself grin.gif

Ralph, any durn fool can hit them and bring them down. Me, I try to see how close I can get the shot to them without actually hitting them.That way, I get to stay out in the blind longer. Every so often, I fail and hit one. If you don't belive this, then just ask the guys I hunt with and they'll verify it. tongue.giftongue.gif And Ralph, I still would like to know what a Noober is.

Seriously, The older I get, the less the killing of game means to me in judging a successful hunt. Gathering with good friends, seeing game and beautiful sunrises, and every so often, taking a shot. A couple years ago, I watched a buddy's half grown Lab make its first goose water retrieve of a goose I shot. It made the three days of hunting all worth it.

I came to this post late, so I don't know why all the deleted replies. We all go hunting to take game. It is by far not the only reason. There is something about being in the middle of a swamp as the sun rises and things come to life. If you haven't experienced it, I can't explain it. I like shooting as much as anyone, but there have been many times my buddy and I have been working a flock, getting them to come in closer each time around and when they fianally set their wings before flaring away at the last second, we start working them again and as they fly away ask each other," why didn't we shoot?" The answer is inevitably, "I forgot." We get so caught up in working the birds and, hopefully, improving our calling skills, that it isn't always important to knock one down. Hunting is about a lot more than killing, (although that is a part of it)it's about the experience as a whole. If it were only about killing, I would only go to game farms or the butcher shop and save a lot of money. You can only get out what you're willing to put in.

Craig, I think you nailed it. Good way of expressing it.

Makes 100% sense. For me, those moments can never be replaced. Over the past few years, I began to wonder, How many more years can my Dad stomp through the slough? I keep saying my 11 year old dog has one more year. For the last 3 seasons, my son has come on our 1 week trip, plugging along with his BB gun. Accepting my constant nagging about how he's carrying his gun. Last year he got his gun safety, and on the trip dropped his first bird. A nice hen mallard. I was so proud I dont think I fired a shot all morning. I just watched him. After a good week of hunitng in typical nasty weather, his last words before drifting off on the way home were, " Do we get to come back next year, Dad?"

Nice!!!