• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I know it got killed off a few years ago, but is it worth a shot on the opener? MY neighbors took me out there crappie fishing or i wouldn't even know about it being there, it seems like a very interesting lake, lots of classic walleye structure.

I'm not expecting a real hot bite or anything just a chance at a few eyes or northerns and maybe being away from the crowds. Is it worth a shot?

RR56

I don't know about walleyes but maybe Northerns. I know that that system has a good population of nice sized pike. I actually did quit well spearing for big pike out on East Jefferson this winter.

GOOD FISHIN!!!!!!!!!

There are alot of northerns in little Jeff. Some are some real big ones. Walleyes, not so many. However, last fall and this winter people have pulled in a few, so it might be worth a try. One thing I know, you won't have to fight crowds out there. smile.gif

West Jeff doesn't have a huge population of walleyes but the onces i've caught or have seen caught are nice ones. There is definately alot of pike in the lake if the walleyes aren't biting.

Give 'er a shot. There were a couple of decent sized 'eyes that came in to the shop this winter for a weigh in that came off the Jeffersons. As everyone else said there are a lot of nice pike in that chain. West Jeff' seems to have a good population of big pike 29" and bigger. If you are stuck on walleye for opener keep German in mind since it is right there and it is probably the most under-rated walleye lake in the area.

Trust me, German is not underrated as a walleye lake. There will be plenty of people out there on opener and for the first month of the season it gets hammered by people.

Sure there will be people that try and fish German, there always is, they do it first ice and opener,then it falls apart because most of them do not take the time to learn the lake. I've watched it happen every year. It is under-rated, everyone talks about Madison and Washington and how great of a walleye fishery they are. Washington is not a very good walleye fishery due to the bottom being 80% muck. Madison is pretty good, but so is German due to it being all sand, gravel, and rubble. It is at least as good as Madison and no one gives the lake much credit. Check the stocking reports and the netting reports in the latest Sportsmans Guide to Southern Minnesota Lakes, available at about any store that sells fishing gear, and that will lay any doubts you may have to rest smirk.gif

Well said Big DS. I couldn't agree with you more. If I had a lake to choose from in this area for targeting panfish and 'eyes, it would definitely be German. However, to each their own. People are going to fish where they are going to fish. A lot of this conversation is a matter of opinion. Let's not let this post get to carried away.

I don't have any doubts about German. Have been catching walleyes on German for years, know it well and how good it can be. I'm just saying that it's not so underrated. It is in the outdoor news every week and there have been articles written about it. It does get hammered all spring. There are always at least 8-10 boats out there, even on the weekdays. And on weekends, the landing is full. Not trying to start a fight, have just watched the lake go from very few boats and fishhouses to full landings and big fishhouse cities.

It seems like these days there isn't a lake around here that doesn't get busy. There is a couple of nice lakes that I like to hit once in a while that never get fished to hard. I have never been on the lake with more that 3 other boats. It isn't the best fishing lake, but I can go out there and have just as much fun as on any other lake, and I don't have to have bumpers hanging on my boat to protect it in traffic (i.e. the narrows on opener) grin.gif

mrwalleyee

I've got a couple of nice lakes too that don't get hit hard and they are real nice for walleye fishing. Even in winter I've been there on weekends with nice weather where there isn't more than about 5-10 houses out there.

I really like that. Can basically fish alone, yet have great success. I'm hoping/wondering that with such little pressure, if these lakes will just continue to reproduce more numbers and better size of fish?

For me, getting out on the lake isn't all about fishing. It's about having quiet time for myself (when I am alone in the boat) to relax and reflect on life without the disturbance or commotion of other boats. That's what I like about going to Canada so much. It gives me the opportunity to relax and free my mind of all other things.

I'm with you Basscatcher. I loved the miserable cold drizzly spring we had last year because I could go out on the lake in the morning and sometimes be the only boat, or maybe 1 or 2 others. It was peaceful quiet and I caught a few fish to boot. smile.gif It's great for the soul!!

~piker

I'm just like you guys. If there are a bunch of people out on a lake or in a spot, I just leave it alone and go back when the people are thinned out. I'd rather catch less fish than fish in a crowd.

I too have a few little gems that don't get fished very hard, only fished by a few yocals. wink.gif Those are the ones that are the most fun.