• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Shallow Eyes

Stratosman

Both last Saturday and Yesterday a friend and I made day trips to Mille lacs to chase smallmouth, but found something interesting both times. On numerous different rock reefs in the middle of the day we found schools of large walleyes positioned right on top of the reefs in 3-4 of water. Now both times the weather was bright sunshine and light winds. Did anyone else see this? I am assuming they were up there to feed, why else would light sensitive walleyes be that shallow this time of year. We did notice schools of fingerling perch so I am sure that is thier intended target. I flicked my tube at them a couple of times but the boat was already on top of them before I saw them and they just meandered off. They were all large walleyes too, 18+ imches. Pretty cool stuff. Anyone ever try fishing the very tops of the reefs in the evening this time of year, I bet you could drift a slip bobber rig right on top of em, presuming they are there during the evening and night as well.

Just thought I'd throw this info out there.

That is odd, but it's something I've seen before too. Not on Mille Lacs, but another clear lake with a sandy botton, I've seen decent sized schools of walleyes around docks and stuff while bass fishing right during the middle of the day. Tough to get them to bite though. I don't think they are actively feeding, but I'm not sure what they are doing.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

I would have to say they are probably up after the crawfish,I to have seen this in past years and that is what they were after.

------------------
"FISH TO LIVE"
"LIVE TO FISH MILLE LACS"

Yes, I have seen that also this year. It was a first for me to see them up that shallow, after years of chasing smallies. Let me rephrase that maybe one or two a year but not schools like this year.

Thats not uncommen at all, I have caught walleyes in 3 feet of rocks fishing smallmouth before with mepps.

I witnessed the same thing on Friday afternoon. We fished rock piles all over the south end of the lake (trying to catch Smallies), and ended up cathing over a half dozen walleyes between 17 and 20 inches on leadhead jigs and black 4" worms. We caught them all in 4 feet of water or less, and between 12:30 and 2:30 pm. It was one of the weirdest things I have ever experienced.

hi you all - buy reading these posts on shallow water eyes is it safe to say that the walleyes are on the shallow rock reefs because of all the crawfish? also would casting or trolling craw and perch colored cranks almost any time of the day and conditions, catch some eyes with all those fish on the reefs? let me know what you think. thanks 1eye6

[This message has been edited by 1eye6 (edited 08-09-2004).]