• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

AMSOIL

icehook

Question

Just wondering if anyone uses amsoil 2cyl syn in their outboard, i heard it works very well. Thanks for your input icehook.

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• MRWALLEYE2005

• ChuckN

• TimR

• Walleye Warrior

I have an older outboard and I use it in my mixed gas. The thing I like best about it is that it's virtually smoke free. Been using it for a few years now and no complaints here.

I have used it in several older 2 stroke outboards when mixed gas was required. I ran it as lean as 100:1 without problems. It works very well and the older finickey outboards just seem to run smoother on the leaner gas mixture.

I am on my first tank mixed 75:1 I think the next tank I do will be 100:1 very smooth running.

Ran it in my 25 horse Yamaha and it worked great. Easy starts was the best part. Im now running Amsoil 4 stroke oil in my 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and its good stuff. Nothing but good luck with it. I also use their lower unit lube and it seems to be working fine as well.

I have heard a lot about how great the oil is for 2 cycle. As I understand, one mix will work for any 2 cycle engine, regardless of the recommended mix? But is there a different oil for outboards (water cooled) than for other little air cooled engines? I would sure like to get away from having 4 different gas cans for mixed fuel.

I believe they do have a special oil for outboards. It is still 100:1 ratio. From what I was told that the outboards run cooler than other small engine because they are water cooled compared to air cooled. If you check the Amsoil web site I think that will answer any questions. There is probly a oil also if your motor has oil injection.

I have a 90HP 2 Stroke Yammy which is oil injected. Which Amsoil should I use? I went to their website and saw about 5 oils and am quite at a loss now. Their email contact also does not work.

fishingmad They recomend the HP Injector Synthetic 2 cycle oil HPI It is a 50:1 made for oil injection motors. Good luck Bobcat45

I run the Cenex brand air cooled oil right now and I have noticed it smokes alot sometimes. I have a smaller 2 stroke mercury motor so is there any specific one I should get? Will there be any problems switching oils? Which places carry it?

I get it at fleet farm but Iv'e seen it in snowmobile/atv places as well, no problems with switching oil except their may be a few more skeeters around when yer trollin. grin.gif

I just bought some 2 cycle hp injector ams oil at Gander Mountain, so I just mix that and gas in my tank?

We use the red Dominator in the race bikes and have never had an oil related failure and extremely low wear. Use their Interceptor in snomo, jet, outboard, chainsaw, whacker with same results. I just wish the Interceptor had a coloring agent in it. Is Amsoil listening here?

MrWalleye2005, You bought injector oil for your premix tank??? DON'T mix it up!! You should have bought Sabre Outboard 100:1 Pre-mix. From your other posts, you indicate that you run a 3 gal portable tank, and injector oil is the wrong stuff to be using for pre-mix. Call me @ 507-276-0422, I'll try to help ya out. Phred52

I emailed Ams oil and they told me to take the hp injector back and get the Saber Outboard 100:1 oil. I looked at Gander in Mankato and they only had the hp injector and dominator Ams oil. I seen there was a Ams oil dealer at Heartland Repair so I just ordered the Saber threw them.

I just purchased Amsoil 100-1 premix oil for all my 2 stroke engines.Is there anything I should know about this?It is for a whole variety of 2 stroke engines from what I read on the back of the bottle.

jltimm, Which did you buy??? By what you stated, I'd guess you bought the "Professional". The correct Amsoil for the pre-mix outboard tank is the Amsoil Sabre Outboard Synthetic 100:1 Pre-mix 2-cycle oil". It has the additives that meet or exceed the requirements of TC-W3 and API-TC motors. It's designed with lower temperature dispersants for water cooled systems. On the other hand, Sabre Professional Synthetic 100:1 pre-mix 2 cycle oil" has high temperature detergents for small power equipment such as leaf blowers,chain saws, and weed whips, etc. I'd imagine the outboard would work in the saw, but more than likely, not the other way around (for long). I've run the "Sabre Outboard" in a '77 Johnson 35hp with only praise for the product. I've only recently (2 years) started using Amsoil in my other 2-cycles with no problems, at the 100:1 ratio. Chainsaw, weed-whip, and Ice-auger. I definitely have seen, an increase in power, throttle response and smoke/odor. Now my truck is in my sights!! BTW, I order from their website, GREAT service!

This oil says Amsoil Pre-Mix 100-1.It says it is to be used in everything but high performance 2 stroke engines.It has the TCW3 and the other things you mentioned.It says it is recommended for outboards also.

I just looked on there site and the Saber Professional 100:1 is not recommended for outboards, it is not a tc w3 oil. Saber Professional (ATP) is specifically designed for small engines including, but not limited to, chain saws, lawn equipment, blowers, chop saws, pumps, scooters and go-carts. It is also very good for use in motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATVs.

Saber Outboard (ATO) is specifically designed for outboard motors. It is also very good for personal watercraft, jet boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATVs. Saber Outboard contains a heavy dose of lower temperature dispersant additives that excel at preventing varnish and deposits from forming in water-cooled motors. Saber Outboard is a very low smoke, low odor, low toxicity product that produces lower emissions at 100:1 mix ratios than oils mixed at 50:1. It is ideal for trolling motors as lean mix ratios reduce “oil loading” and plug fouling for rapid throttle response. Operators and the environment benefit from the use of Saber Outboard. It is recommended for pre-mix use where TC-W3 or API TC is specified.

jltimm, I've been using that same oil you have in my outboards with great results, the bottles I get state that it's also recommended for air cooled engines also with the following ratings TC-W3, API TC, JASO FC. it also wors great in my strikemaster,weedwacker and in the chainsaw I run 80-1 if I'm cutting big stuff. I've yet to wear out anything I own. grin.gif

I'm planning on using it in my Stihl chainsaws once I use up all my Stihl 2 stroke oil I purchased with the saws.Then,when I cut firewood,maybe I won't smell like 2 stroke smoke when I'm done?The Strikemaster will be using it as well.

The owner of Twin Lakes NAPA auto store in Waterville Mn.told me he would have Sabre Amsoil by the middle of this week in pints, he also handles other amsoil oils.

I have a Evinrude 2stroke 1989 110 VRO oil injected Motor.Can I use the sabal oil in that and can I mix the oil I have in my reserve now(evinrude oil) with that. Any help would be great.--- confused.gif

I wouldnt recommend mixing different brand oils in a tank. I would run the tank dry and then put the other oil in. The hp injector oil is the one for oil injected motors. The Saber Outboard oil is for pre mixing with gas. Im not sure how well the Saber oil would work with oil injected motors, the hp injector one is specifically made for oil injection motors.

Read the bottle carefully. It says "Recommended for TC-W3, API TC applications". It doesn't say it is TCW-3 certified. Anyone can go to the NMMA.org website, click on certifications, and see which oils are TCW-3 certified. Amsoil either doesn't want to pay for the relevant testing, or their product does not meet TCW-3 specifications.

Why do I care? My outboard was designed to run using TCW-3 oil, any brand of TCW-3 oil. AMSOIL has all this great R&D to design the best oil, but they can't get the ONE certification relevant to outboards?

Go on any off-shore fishing board and ask what those guys are running in their motors. They put a lot of hours on, they depend on the reliability of their motors - they are running TCW-3 oils.

Tim

Quote:

This oil says Amsoil Pre-Mix 100-1.It says it is to be used in everything but high performance 2 stroke engines.It has the TCW3 and the other things you mentioned.It says it is recommended for outboards also.

I can attest to the only Lake Superior Capt. that I personally know... He has twin Opti's on the back of his boat and buys AMSOIL in bulk in barrels. He is also a diesel mechanic at a dealership and runs and recommends AMSOIL in the trucks he works on, and no he is not a distributor, just believes in the product. I may even buy my oil from him to save on the individual gallons. My boat mechanic swears by the stuff and recommends it to all his clients. I've used AMSOIL for the past 3 years and from what I can see it is a much better product than a lot of the other stuff guys are pumping through there motors. Less plug fowling, less smoke, more power, trolls down better for longer periods without sputtering etc. etc.

I guess if their products weren't as advertised, they wouldn't be around as long as they have been!

Good Luck!

Ken

LABS4ME,

2S oil debates can get to be a Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing. I didn't want to go down that road, but guys (esp. guys with motors under warranty) should know that all is not roses with AMSOIL. There is another side to the story.

Tim

I'd agree on the oil debate thing, almost sure to be a big thread. Really surprised this one is not longer than it is.

Anyway, the reason I'm chiming is about the warranty part. Warranty cannot be voided merely by using a different brand of oil. Normally, the oil must meet or exceed specs to not interfere with warranty coverage, but I think the OEM must still prove that the oil caused the problem in order to completely reject a warranty claim. The problem is they (an OEM/dealer) have "experts" on their side, most often the customer does not have the expertise to argue the point.

I've definitely got to look into the Amsoil product. Now here's a novice question. I've got a '97 115 Johnson. It is not oil-injected. I've got to put the gas into the tank and them dump the oil in. I've been using a 50:1 ratio. By the responses here, it seems like I'm running way too rich. Does this make sense? I do have a very cold-blooded motor. Could my rich mixture be causing this?

A '97 Johnson 115 with no oil injection? Was it disconnected for some reason? confused.gif I had a '99 (same motor), you need to choke it plenty by pressing the key in while turning the key. It's not an oil issue. They always run like they are too rich. Switch the 115 to Amsoil, I did, noticed a HUGE difference in smoke reduction and that motor never loaded up.

I've ran Amsoil for years in boats, snowmobiles and ATV. Excellent stuff. I've also rebuilt engines, one that was ran on Amsoil and another on conventional 2 stroke oil. I noticed a big difference in carbon build-up and overall wear of cylinder walls over time. (And, no, Amsoil did not have anything to do with a rebuild, operator error on jetting wink.gif).