• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

7/22-----7/23

Mayfly

Well, I'm about to walk out the door. I'll be on the lake tonight from 5 until I get bored. I am also going to be spending the AM on the lake. I'm going alone and fishing hard. Good Luck to me, I'll report back tomorrow evening. I'm actually chasing a tip on a good bite.........

I want to see if it's true.

Tip on a good bite.. Well by know the mayfly hatch should be over, and the wallleyes have been on a binge, typically things this year have been about 2-3 weeks behind the norm. if your a legend to this website, a few years ago someone said if whisk, is going to mille lacs, somewhere on the lake the fish are bitting. The walleyes typically go on a bingde over mayfly season then after for about 10 days they slow down, "then it picks up" and the bite on anything.. the life cycles of the food chain..

mayflie, i will be up this weekend, can't wait, after we can compaire notes..
whisk.

Mayfly,

Let us know how you did.

I'm going to bring the wife up there tonight.

I didn't fish as hard and as long as I wanted too. I also didn't fish where I wanted too. I had some problems! I managed to catch an 11 inch Walleye, smallest of the year. I also lost one too.

My tip was confirmed by someone else but I can't nake it back up for a while.

July 23,24,25

Latest Report.
Well this may not come as a suprise, but fishing is scattered. I was fishing Sotuthern mud-flats, 7 mile, sherman's, 9 mile and a few others. 3 walleyes. Nothing much too report, we tried everything. We marked them but I think the "nats or small fishfly hatch has produced a abundance of insect larave to overlwhelm the walleyes. Things are slow.. The top layer of the water near the flats was coated with the hatch. Now again i know these we not mayflies but nats. After cleaning our walleyes 3- I inspected there gutz, full.. full of the hatch. My conclusion would be to go to the rocks. I caught a nice 19" smally, but i am not bass man and i took my picutre and put it back as the min.. was 22inch.. anyways, i wanted to go to garrisons reef or the humps south of spirit island or the rock reef but i am no fan of slip bobbering..

whisk.

[This message has been edited by Whiskeywalleyes (edited 07-26-2004).]

I was out on the big pond this weekend as well. However, I did really well! I had two others with me and we boated 7 walleyes on Friday night, of which none were in the slot. Biggest was 26.75, the next night we went out again and this time manages to boat some slot fish. We managed to catch 6 that were between 15"-19" we threw back a 21.5", 23.5" and another that was somewhere between 25-26" didn't bother to measure the fish.

I spoke with a lot of guys fishing Muskies, they had a lot of follows but not many hook-ups. The fish are out there but we found them in specific areas. We would search the flats looking for them, we found scattered fish all over but certain pockets held the biters. Once you found the pockets, "fish on". A lot of fun for my 70 year old dad and 15 year old nephew. Forgot to mention that I only caught two out of all of the fish. Oh yeh, I guess I caught three if you count the 7.5 incher that ate my three inch leech! If I had a lighter I could have smoked the cigar.

Take care,

Joe

A buddy of mine was out there Saturday and said they had many bites. Caught a few walleyes (sorry don't know sizes), but also hooked into a muskies. One came off on the boat and the other half way to teh boat.

Also they caught 5 pike, biggest being 36", CPR'ed (working on getting pictures from him), but also a few smaller pike mid 20's!

Like I said trying to get the pictures so will post when I receive. Heard they were fishing with large suckers!

------------------
------------------
GET-ER-DONE

Vtiller- Have you ever used downriggers with any success on MIlle Lacs? I just got a pair last year but dident do very well, I thought it was just probly the bad bite since I couldent get any off deep diving cranks eather. Any tips for downrigging the big lake?

Fishing seems tough as of late. Was out Saturday afternoon and evening. Pulled plugs with and without downriggers and boards...not a release. Bobber fished south end rocks and caught a bunch of 8-10 inch walleyes, in fact caught many perch that were bigger than the walleyes. Went out Sunday afternoon by myself and hooked a 40 inch northern with a lindy rig and leech. What a battle...6 lb test with a number 8 hook. Busted up my net but was able to land him. I am sure the boats around me got a good show! Made for another great day on the lake.

Rooster, I have had some success at times. One thing I have learned is floating raps are best as they dont dive nearly as deep. I have done good with large spinners and a crawler using downriggers. I can get more speed to move the bigger blades better. Wish I had the answer as I have been running them from 12 to 30 feet this year and not much to show for it.