• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

No Clutch Hitting

Down to Earth

Seems like they can get they guys in scoring position, but can't get the clutch hit to get the guys in. I think both nights now we've had bases loaded with less than 2 outs and can't get even 1 run in. Players are young, season is young, they'll eventually come around.

Think you're right but 14 hits and one measly run was frustrating to watch at best. Certainly wasted a great defensive effort from the outfielders. As you say, season's young yet and they proved tonight that you can run on AJ almost at will. Mauer looked good again. Not the time to hit the panic button.

Cuddyer and Punto killed us leaving sooooo many guys on base last night!

Mauer is a stud and Morneau is due back tomorrow or the day after I believe.

Both Morneau and Silva can be activated on Friday, I believe...

I had been thinking that having Cuddyer in the lineup instead of Koskie would be about a wash...but it seems like Koskie would come up with a clutch hit or two in those situations...hopefully, Cuddyer will come around.

What makes me mad is when we have a guy on third with 0 or 1 out and whoever is up either strikes out or hits an infield popup. All you need to do in that situation is make contact and hit a slow roller to the right side of the infield and a run scores. Either that, or hit a sac fly. Those are the kinds of runs we need to capitalize on.

I too feel that we will come around.

Not having Morneau really hurt them in this series. With runners on base they were able to pitch around the lesser bats without the long-ball threat looming. He should be back this weekend ... went 1-for-4 with a homer in his extended spring game yesterday.

Koskie got a lot of clutch hits last year, but almost all of them were after the All-Star break, he was pretty brutal in the firt half if I remember correctly. Cuddyer will be fine. I don't know that he'll hit .300, but I think he'll hit .260-.270 with 15-20 homers 50-70 RBI's. If he gives us those kind of numbers in his first full year I can live with that.

Those would be Koskie-esque numbers...and I agree with the assesment. That's why I figured it would be about a wash between the two. And Cuddyer's defense has been adequate, if not pretty good at 3B too...

I just came across this info on MLB site previewing the Twins for the series against the Royals.

The Twins are 2-for-19 (.105) with the bases loaded this season, with five double plays.

Bases loaded right now and no outs! Lew Ford flies out to shallow outfield and then Tiffee grounds into an inning ending double play!! In F'in credible!!

Finally! Stewart comes through in the bottom of the 8th with a hit with the bases loaded and Nathan comes in to slam the door. I see the Sox feasted on Tigger pitching tonight, not unlike the Twins did. Bad pitching gets blasted by good hitting every time... wink.gif

Botom of the 10th, 1 out, bases loaded and Ford sends the ball up the middle for a hit! Twins win! Twins win! Lets hope this is the start of a trend towards more clutch hitting. grin.gif

The Twins rank first with hit into double play statistic's.. Less than 20 games into the season and they have 20 DB plays.

Maybe just a case of the early season bugs!??!?!?!

Probably, also we have a lot of guys who aren't really home run hitters & have speed, so they want them to hit a lot of ground balls. That probably adds to our DP's, as does all of the singles hitters. If the guy in front of you's hitting a lot of doubles & dingers, you're not going to hit into as many DP's.

Second inning vs Detroit... runner on first and surprise Michael Cuddyer hits into another inning ending double play!! He's off to an absolutely horrid start... we lead the league in hit into DP's!! confused.gif

6th inning Cuddyer can't bunt the runners over with no outs... pops up!!

The man is killing the team! Next guy up... inning ending double play!!!

Absolutely amazing!

Hunter steals, Jones gets a infield hit, Hunter on 3rd, Ford hits a line drive to center and Hunter scores. Twins put in Mulholland, 1 run gave up then Morneau comes in the top of 9th and hits a HR to tie. Twins lose in bottom of 10th with Mulholland pitching to Pudge, walk off homer. Cuddyer cant bunt, I saw that, that made me laugh... still many games to go. Good to see Morneau back.

why they had mulholand pitch is unreal, he is a lefty, and almost all the batters he faced were rightys, why not put in crain or rincon to pitch to these rightys, besides mulholand is not pitching well, so he had no business pitching late in a tie game.

snowed out today, at least they get the white stuff and not us.

I'm with you Knoppers! gardy knew the weather outlook for the weekend was dismal... he could have put in Rincon or anybody else with the knowledge that Saturdays and possibly Sunday's game could be rained/snowed out! I will be forever scared as I dropped the F-bomb and my two year old Parrot...er, I mean son heard the F-bomb in the 10th and repeated it!! Mom was NOT happy with me! I guess I can't watch Twins games anymore when Mulholland Falls is in the game! crazy.gif

Monday afternoon game vs Detroit... bottom of the 6th inning... basesloaded for Cuddyer and what does the turd do??? Pops out to first base... 3 more left on base for the turd burgler!

Kind of stinks, we get a clutch hit & then we don't get any clutch pitching from Rincon or clutch fielding from Rivas for that matter...

• 4 weeks later...

Through 13 games in May, Cuddyer is hitting .383 (18-for-47) and has a seven-game hitting streak

Amazingly at .275 overall he's in the top 40 in the league among guys with enough AB's, about 30 points higher than Koskie I might add.

Yup, Cuddy's coming along. Now if he can just keep the "E's" down. Hopefully he can keep it up. Still seeing him in the .260-.280 range.

P.S. Lohse got a win and pitched pretty well. I can't believe it. confused.gif

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with Cuddy's performance of late. The guy's batting .383 for the month of May, Not too shabby!

Don't forget he's on a 7 game hitting streak.

This is the guys first year in a full time roster spot. He's gonna make a few boo-boos. Hopefully he'll wean himself off the errors and come out smokin after the break.

Plus, the dudes got a cannon for an arm.