• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

First Nation Netting on Lake of the Woods-Ontario

For those wondering, that is my site I setup on 0catch.com

I am sorry for the banner ads but not much I can do about that at this time.

A little history into how this started, at least for me.

I read that letter about the netting on walleye central. I immediately blew my stack, especially after Gord Pusnik sent me those photo's..Like disgusting.

so I setup that site within a few hours, and hunting around the www for links to other comments on the www about this netting and what other people have seen. My reason was to try and put everything in ONE spot. Get the message across that "something" might be a miss here.

I will put that site on a server without banners if I see that it will generate enough hits to make it work. I am not worried about the costs, as I use a server I lease in the US at a very reasonable price. Enough on that one. I know how to do that stuff.

2-I am in Kenora if anyone wishes to know. I have guided here for over 25 years.

I will also make the comment on that previous post from that Lobby group. I sent The Clinton's at Ash Rapids the information on this netting. Actually will not affect them, as their facility is a bass fishing lodge and has been for as long as I can remember. However, their concern should be about Shoal Lake. That part of LOTW has been closed to walleye fishing for over 20 years now, and was closed due to over harvesting by commercial fisherman. So when someone tells me we cannot fish LOTW out, I find that rather annoying, and some have actually mentioned that to me.

I personally do not think that the plant is doing anything wrong. They are only catching primarily Whitefish and that species I certainly believe needs to be reduced in many areas. Clearwater Bay, Cul-de-Sac, Echo Bay, and other areas of LOTW. However, I am concerned about those nets, that seem to break loose, and that is what those photo's were all about.

IF the person doing the netting cannot assure that it will be pulled on time and not neglected, that is fine, plus tie a proper knot, or at least have good tie-me-downs to make it work properly. I think that is the main idea here, at least to me it is.

Over my 25 years of guiding, I have found ONE net. that was in the White Partridge Bay area and it was loaded with beautiful smallmouth and large mouth bass and slab size crappie. that was a long time ago.

The nets that seem to be showing up broken loose all seem to be from the Sabaskong Bay, and a few other sections of LOTW, and not much around Kenora, or the Western Peninsula.

I do know that Band 39-40 in Shoal Lake commercial fish for Whitefish. The MNR told me that much.

However, I have often stated in our local paper. What is exactly netting for "personal consumption" Is it 60 fish, or 600 fish and just how much walleye (in this case) can be used for ceremonial purposes.

It is as far as I am concerned a catch 22 situation. The Natives have the right to fish for whatever they want, and it seems at anytime. Read that one link on that site, or The Sparrow Case. It's legal mumbo jumbo, but none the less interesting reading.

I personally am not interested in slamming or accusing anyone of doing anything wrong on this matter.

For 1- it is up to those that use the lake for commercial purposes to fight all of this,(lodges,resorts,campgrounds,motels,hotels, etc. etc.) not me as a private angler or citizen. However I will bring everything to their attention. My voice unless others come forward means squat, and getting some around here in Kenora to step forward and putting their "real name" on the line, not many will do that. I know from personal exp.

You see, most retail outlets do not want to upset the gravy train. The reservations bring a lot of bucks into this town, and I mean more than any paper mill, and probably more than tourism. NO retail establishment will knock any reservation no matter what, at least no publically. Under their breath, maybe, but certainly not in public.

But I will certainly say something I am very serious on. Looking at those pictures ticks me off to no end. The muskies on them really make me mad. Just because a ruddy net was not tied down right, and apparently, it is not ONLY one net we are talking about here but several.

There is a meeting in Emo next week some friends of mine will be attending. I will certainly hear about that within a few minutes after they back home. I will let you know if it is anything important.

As I see things around here, LOTW has a lot of issues along with this netting stuff that have to be addressed sooner or later. I refer to water quality and too many cabins being built. (at least thats how I see it.) Just how much can one lake take. Remember the Grand Banks, Red Lake and other areas. Who expected those. No one.

Anything, thanks for letting me blow some steam.

No we don't use them, ours are packaged under a canadian freshwater marketing group. Packed in Winnepeg, Manitoba. I did let some of my food reps know about the situation so that word would get around.

• 2 weeks later...

From lake Nipissing...

The release comes within days of the discovery of abandoned gill nets in the lake:

The Lake Nipissing Stewardship Council (LNSC) was swift to react to this week’s announcement of the discovery of two gill nets, each over 900 feet in length, by the Ministry of Natural Resources. The nets have been in the lake since last fall – their grisly catch over 1,100 lbs. Included in the rotting remains was a sturgeon weighing over 100 lbs. (estimated to be in excess of 80 years old) and three muskies, each weighing over 40 lbs.

Gary Preston, LNSC’s Chair said the Stewardship Council is outraged by the blatant disregard for basic conservation principles. “There is no excuse for unmarked nets, or nets being set so late in the season that there is a risk that they cannot be retrieved. Abandoned nets will keep fishing for years. They don’t discriminate between species, size or time of year.” said Preston.

New nets recently retrieved from walleye spawning areas also indicate a disregard to sustaining this important resource. Nipissing First Nation asked to be heard at the Stewardship Council Annual Meeting just three weeks ago on April 13, 2005 and made a commitment to a gill net moratorium during the walleye spawn and stated they would ensure compliance and enforcement. This has obviously not happened.

Preston blames both the Ministry of Natural Resources and Nipissing First Nation. “Since 1999, when the Stewardship Council was initially formed, our partners and stakeholders have complained about excessive gill netting with an apparent wanton disregard for this precious resource and several discoveries of fish left to spoil. Abuse of First Nation rights to fish on Lake Nipissing was the number one issue raised during public consultation for the new Lake Nipissing Fisheries Management Plan last year. We’ve been patient. We’ve listened to both sides and have been gracious. We’ve taken abuse from our member groups because of our lack of action. We’ve kept our noses out of discussions between Nipissing First Nation and the MNR – for years and years. Enough is enough. These two parties will just continue to talk and promise and threaten until there are no fish left in Lake Nipissing.”

The Stewardship Council wants action now. We want a commitment from the MNR and Nipissing First Nation that this travesty will be dealt with quickly and effectively. We want the MNR to do its job – protect Ontario’s resources. The MNR has the tools. They just need the will. Are charges going to be laid for allowing the waste of such a large number of fish?

The Stewardship Council wants Nipissing First Nation to follow through with promises and talk of how committed they are to ensuring the fishery is sustainable. Nipissing First Nation has made commitments to the Stewardship Council that have not been followed through on. Nipissing First Nation has two seats on the multi-stakeholder group. The LNSC’s credibility is now compromised by our trust to see these proposed positive initiatives come to fruition. In order to effectively manage this fishery, we must have regular, timely and complete reporting of native catches – this is no threat to First Nation rights.

If Nipissing First Nation cannot get 100% compliance from their community, maybe banning gill nets on Lake Nipissing is the answer.

While we can appreciate the positive step of hiring a First Nations Conservation Officer, a two-year internship is not the answer. This needs to be a permanent, full-time position, funded by the MNR for there to be any chance of continuity of enforcement and compliance measures for the fishery to survive given the current ongoing situation.

In closing, the LNSC believes this isn’t just an issue for people that fish. Every community, native and non-native that lives around Lake Nipissing owes its economic viability to the lake. It generates over $100 million to the area annually. Destruction of the fishery threatens this. Sure, there’s a beautiful sunset, but how long will people continue to holiday at a lake with no fish in it?

Talk about disgusting! This topic is so race-laden that it's hard to not talk about it and not sound like a racist. However, could there be any better way for people to beg for racist comments?!? This really ticks me off. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Did anyone read the artical on page 7 of Outdoor News May 13 issue, in which the Ontario MNR claims the whole thing is just a rumor!!! Interesting to say the least... Anyone care to comment???? Kaz confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Hey Scoot,

Are you a Racist if you simply give the facts? Someone has to get this information out and I'm glad Hemlock and others are doing it! Everyone has rights these days but white male men. Go figure.

Kaz, I read the article. Afterwards, I thought of this thread and I hate to say it but, I told you so a month ago. We yankees are only going to muck up the waters on this issue for the brave Canadians trying to do something about this. We need to lend support for those trying to change the situation and then have a hands off status. When the Canadian govt. thinks that the US is trying to influence their policies they will completely turn a 180 and change the rules to punish us all over. This is what happened over on Rainy. The American's that owned land on the Canadian side tried to help the Canadians that could see what was happening to the lake. We were told to sit down and shut-up or end up losing our land. In the end those of us that tried to help only made matters worse for the Canadians that wanted a change. Today, they still commercial fish the Canadian side of Rainy and it is very difficult to catch your one walleye a day on what was a world class fishery in the 1950's. Now they trap the crappies to the point where they are hard to find.

So words of hard fought wisdom! Lend support but stay out of it. Or get ready for the Bass tourney circuit.

The biggest problem with Canadian politics is the reaction time, it's very slow and when they do its an over reaction! I see this every time I go snowmobiling in canada, I don't know if this is good or bad, but try finding gas on a sunday afternoon. It's a 50-50 chance, like I said earlier mabey its better to live a passive stress free life with a laid back attitude but people are counting on service. The laid back what ever happens attitude is what gets me which is the way they are addressing this fishing issue. It seems like this problem would take a little work and there seems to be lack of work ethic for some. When it all comes down to it the U.S. sells service and people pay for the service. The income on the ontario side of LOW is going to be effected in the area not just because the fishing is so bad but because we heard the fishing is bad. We have learned from our mistakes (Upper and lower Red Lake) And you would think the canadians would have learned but every day is like sunday Closed! What ever Happens Happens.

JZ, you bring up a very good point. It is tough to get the right service (any) on some days. People do use the lake more than Monday through Friday from 9-5. I think that is changing...a little too slow if you ask me. My business (framing shop/art gallery) is soon to be open 7 days a week. Catering to service is a must!

The netting thing has been really quiet lately. The ones that are really concerned still are buzzing, but not hearing much from "the other side". I'm not as hot as I first was, as I am starting to hear many many different angles to this. I think it's safe to say, the sun isn't going to fall out of the sky, but I'm definately keeping a close interest to it, and the word to the resort owners, etc is out there.

I dont totally agree with the voice our minds and then wait to see what they do outlook on this. This isn't just Canadian Waters here, its ours as well. You know as well as i if things were turned around and the netting was happening down here that they would be trying to pressure our gov. to do something about this. Something needs to be done before its too late, if that means we push for it then maybe thats what has to happen to protect this lake and the fish in it