• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have a question here for some of the BWCA vets...

I am heading to the BWCA on June 9th and putting in on the Moose River. I am hoping to do a little Lake Trout fishing and any pointers would be helpful.

I have heard that vertical jigging spoons can be effective in deeper water, but what about shallows? I would think there might still be in some shallows around that date, but I am pretty new to the whole Lake Trout thing and am not sure.

Any info would be great!

Even with a somewhat warm spring-- lakers at that time of the year should be mostly shallow- baring a 4-5 day period of 80+ weather and lows in the 60's. Even then, their should still be some left in the shallows.

Vert Jig works, but also try trolling raps and spoons behind the canoe (longlined)- spoons even tipped with some stink. The shallow water they tend to be in spooks them quite easily. From camp and the shore try bringing in some frozen smelt or ciscoe and set up a big "deadstick" It's sometimes the only we catch them. Casting can sometimes be a nightmare with all that going on- so have a buddy run out your line 20-30yds or so in the canoe and then wait for some action.

Try Oyster lake if your going north on the mooose.

Keep your line tight,

Muddy wink.gif

Casting spoons and some stickbaits trolled/drifted with the canoe seems to be the most productive. Casting from shore is always good towards eve. I run a longer line when trolling, try to get the bait down to some bigger fish. I've always gone in May so surface temps are always cooler. That early in June they should still be active in the top 20'

Spoons: Kroc's, Pimples, Laker Takers, cyclpos, etc. (orange, chartreuse, red, silver, gold)

Sticks : Yo's(silver/purple & green/gold), Jointed (orange) Rapala,

If you have the luxury of having two rods, try and set one up w/ a small inline weight (double ended seivel 1/4-3/8 oz.) set you lead a foot shorter than the rod that your using with a good snap swivel on the end. This setup with the Yo's being trolled have taken my biggest Lakers in the BWCA.

Others have good luck jigging, but I've never had to try, we always had good luck on the surface when we go.

Best of luck to you!

My BWCAW box is always filled with multiple weight bottom bouncers. 1/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz.

June 9th Hmmmm. I would start around 30 feet & work my way in, this will help make the lake easier to fish. What have worked best for me have been Dimpled Brass & Silver Blue Fox spoons with some Orange or Pink in it & really light "flutter" spoons that will hang a few feet above my BBouncers. These spoons are very active & metallic colors work great. Low stretch line is a must.

With lots of advice thrown at you I would say to fish pattern fammiliarus: Whatever you've been successful with in the past. Never hurts to brush up on techniques from Michael Furtmans Book, A Boundary Waters Fishing Guide.

This book will also tell you much useful info. on all BWCA & Quetico Lakes including Species, max depths, acres, average depth etc.

Fantastic fishing!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

These guys pretty much summed it up. June 9 the Lakers will still be relatively shallow. For my spring lakers I use a thermometer and my sonar to locate what depths the lakers are hanging at. Small Krocs and Little Cleos both tipped with a fathead chub are my favorite spoons. Chippewa Guide Lures (spinners) in the hammered brass again tipped with a fathead work very good too. If you find a concentration of fish I'd start throwing jigs tipped with a minnow and give yourself a break from paddling. When fishing spring lakers I choose my campsites carefully for the times I'm kicking back with a smelt out. Its nice to be in casting range but like others mentioned you can drag the smelt out into deeper water with the canoe.

Thanks a ton for the information everyone. I really do appreciate it. I did pick up Furtman's book yesterday and plan on perusing it before the trip. It sure is nice to have something like this to look forward too!

Yo Doug MN,

Please be sure to get back to this board when the trip is finished. We'd love to hear the results.

Furtmans book.... Believe it and you will catch fish.... Gospel...

I've had luck as late as mid June on Lakers.

What worked best for me was trolling a Johnson's Silver Minnow with plenty of line out. When the temps start to heat up, try to locate the dropoffs, such as cliffs along shore, etc. All of the above advice seems to be pretty good as well.