• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Daze Off

General Info on Pool 2

Daze Off

I'm going to be fishing Pool 2 from a boat a couple of times in the next few weeks for bass. Any general tips/ideas or info to get me started? I have never been on that part of the river before so I have no idea what to expect.

Is there a website to check out water levels and water temps for this area?

Any advice is appreciated.

Daze Off

BigMike

Hey Daze - long time no talk! (shoot me an email at the address listed below...long story made short - but my other email account blew up).

You know first hand how much I like fishing the river for bass and as for Pool 2 I have a few spots up my sleeve that I won't mention here cool.gif (maybe to the highest bidder, j/k) but for bass on Pool 2 there are a few things to keep in mind - current, big eddies (not just at the surface, but below & also close to main channel), slackwater areas with depth and if you can find structure fish it: riprap (there is a lot of it), culverts, concrete slabs, etc... Last spring I had one of my best bass days down on pool 2 well before opener. As for lures, I would go with a heavy 1/2oz spinnerbait, tubes, cranks (adjust size for depth - changes a lot), & even downsize to a curly tail grub... just be ready to catch a very mixed bag (sheepshead, sucker, dogfish, crappie & all of the bass family: white, smallies, & largies).

Last year I went out with Ebass for some shore fishing and we didn't catch any bass confused.gif, but for some reason we found the crappie hotspot & I also caught the biggest sheepie ever... It's head was as big as a football! I thought I had a 12lb walleye (those "other" game fish)until it reared it's balloon shaped head! I'm a bass guy so fishing Pool 2 can be frustrating for me, but there are some big bass in there (both smallie & largies).

Daze - I might be able to get out once or twice with you if you have a seat and I'm available (lots of OT for me lately, and I know it's not the same as the Rum frown.gif, but it's a river none the less, and the best part is you can bass fish on it right now grin.gif). Did you ever get that bass rig?

Daze Off

BigMike -

Check your other e-mail! Thanks for the insights.

Daze Off

EBass

Hey, I know all the spots BM does, because I showed him. Watch out for the slippery rip rap, right BM? LOL Whoops, maybe I was supposed to mention that. LOL

Maybe we can hook up on pool 2 sometime Daze. I went there once and got the big ol skunk so far this year. Wait until the water temps warm a bit and it will be better.

Daze Off

EBass

Sounds good to me - I am actually in the back of someone else's boat on Sunday and next Sunday so can't issue an invite for those dates but will gladly go some other time too.

Hope this rain doesn't shut everything down - curious to see what it does to the water temps.

Daze Off

EBass

I'm not too excited about raging rivers so I will stay away until she calms down. But I'll keep an eye on her. Will give it a couple more weeks.

Dave B

High, fast water means concentrated fish. I cant wait to get out there ASAP. Hoping for tomorrow or Wednesday.

EBass

Good luck and be safe. I'm normally casting on my platform and holding on for dear life up by the island below the dam. I know, I should troll more.

walleyeclass101

I have only fished pool 2 three times and I am getting to know it slowly. I go a lot to Lake Of The Woods and Mille Lacs Lake. Today I caught a 19 inch Walleye on a gold jig. I caught a 8 pound Norhern Pike on a blue ringworm

RalphTheNoober

fisher dave i got a map of another area i think we should checkout. closer to the other boat launch, there's another creek opening there...

RalphTheNoober

took a ride with fisher dave yesterday and did a little scoutting. man that was one mud hole. i threw a rock and boy did she sink. fisher laughed and replyed, you'll be up to your knees if you try to fish from there. then we went to the spot. and he caught another monster 41' 36.6lbs. man my turn is coming soon.... grin.gif

Quote:

don't make fun of the butterfly net