• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good Fuel or not

Dragon Fish ll

Question

I filled a 6 gallon red plastic gas can with 2cycle mix for my boat motor last fall and put in unheated garage. unleaded reg. should I dump it or would it still be safe to use.

4 answers to this question

I'd say it depends. If you were gonna just run that, I'd say it's junk. If you were gonna mix it with new gas, you'd probably be fine. I always mix my old stuff with the highest octane stuff they have in the spring.

dragon fishII -I would not put the gas in my outboard.Even with sta-bil in it,todays gas does not have a long shelf life.Being stored outside with temp. changes,odds are you have some moisture in it.I dont believe its worth the chance of having trouble,even with the high prices.I usually just dump my leftover gas in the truck and burn it with a full tank.

Ok, let's look at the numbers:

6 gallons at $ 2.10/gallons = $ 12.60

Carburetor rebuld kit + labor $ 300.00

Which expense do I want to have ?????

You do the math........ grin.gif

I don't wantr to offend anybody, my point is: why take a chance on 12 bucks ???

I would also say they is a very good chance it is junk. I do as mentioned above used to dump my older fuel in my pickup to get rid of it. After all poor fuel isn't as big of a deal in a truck as it is in a outboard.