• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

rain suits

pj4

Question

i want to buy a decent rain suit. tried of the $30- $50 suits that rip open.like to hear from others that have bought a suit and there take on them.

what type of material works best?

what brand is know for there suits?

insulated or not? my thought is not insulated.

thanks for your in-put.

pj4

13 answers to this question

For a lightweight suit that works well in the boat, I go with Frog Toggs. Motor cyclists love it. I gave it a rather serious test on a lousy spring day last year that I don't care to repeat, wind howling off Lake Superior at about 35 mpg and I had 3-1/2' whitcaps, rain, and spray. My poor body took a pounding but I was toasty warm and dry. Folds up compact, wind and waterproof, and it breathes. The suit is only about $60.

Notice I said "in the boat", it is not suitable for trekkin' through the brush because it will snag. But for a dedicated use on the boat, I like it.

i go with the Columbia Omni Tech, bibs and jacket, it was a little spendy, i think around $270 3 years ago. But it is well worth it, tough as nails, and i have ALWAYS stayed dry, in some pretty nasty weather. The Guide Series stuff ok as well to save a few $$$$$

I keep a Frog Togs set in the boat during the summer. They're light weight, effective, comfortable, and fairly cheap. For shore fishing, camping (when cool), or hanging out in the rain in the spring and fall I have a Filson jacket and Filson rain bibs; they're great if not a bit heavy. Besides those and the Columbia gear you should look at Helly Hansen and Cabela's.

One thing I'd consider when shopping for a rainsuit, find one that has neoprene cuffs in the sleeves. I have a Columbia and it has neoprene cuffs, I'd never go back to a rainsuit without them, I never get water up the sleeves.

Ole

Cabelas Guide wear with the parka. Stay dry an comfortable an they wear like iron. Mine are uninsulated an I even use them in the winter! Unbeatable.

I've pieced my rain gear together and really don't have a SET for my use. I have a northface jacket (red/black) that is 3-4 yrs. old and a pair of Helly Hanson black rain paints (similar to gore-tex) that I use.

I like the fact that I can use my rain jacket for many other purposes. I wear mine to work, out on the town and even as the liner during the winter!

I'd definately look at the Columbia or Cabela's brand for your best bang for your buck. It will cost you a bit up front, but you'll find overall uses for the jacket/pants.

I have had the Stearns Walleye Hunter bibs and parka for about a year and it seems to do the job. It is lightweight and keeps me dry and seems durable so far.

I AM WITH LETSFISHJEFF,

CABELAS GUIDE WEAR IS GREAT STUFF, BREATHABLE, LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURABLE. I JUST HAVE THE UNINSULATED SET AND EVEN WEAR THEM IN THE WINTER INTO THE BWCAW CHASING THOSE LAKERS AROUND(OF COURSE WITH A GOOD UNDER LAYER) THEY ARE A LITTLE MORE SPENDY BUT LAST MANY YEARS!! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND THAT MUCH CABELAS MAKES A CHEAPER LINE THAT ONE OF MY FRIENDS WENT WITH AND THOSE ALSO SEEM TO DO A GREAT JOB.

I got a set of Frogg Toggs last year. I always felt warm in my rain suit... This stuff looks like paper and looks like it wont last.. HOwever, after a full years use, still look almost new... I love it, and it wasn't all that expensive!

Cabela's Bibs & Jacket (Light Insulation), had them for 3 years and love them. Functional & Durable.

Hooked

I gotta go with Cabela's on this one. Pants and long jacket set me back about $180 but they're worth their weight in gold when it comes to keeping you comfortable. Mine aren't insulated but are wind and waterproof and can be rolled up compactly. Additionally, they're cut correctly such that I have good range of motion. Knees have extra-durable material on them to help prevent tears. I do wish I'd have known about the neoprene collars however because with my hands/arms raised I do get some water rolling back down my arms.

My $.02 worth.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have a set of Squaltex from Bass Pro in camo which I also use for turkey hunting when it's raining. It's soft, quiet fairly lightwieght. Comes as a jacket and pants and is uninsulated. Runs about $100 for the set. Only thing I don't like id the pants as the jacket will get pushed up far enoough at times when you sit and fish that the water can get in there. Bibs are the fix for that. Otherwise it's been great.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.