• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just recently moved out by Lake Crystal from Mankato and was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is worth trying for some slabs on any of the lakes near Lake Crystal. I have never fished any of the lakes near Lake Crystal but I hear that they might be worth a shot.

I have not been out to lake crystal for about 5 years now but I used to have luck with slabs from shore right off of hwy 60 just east of town. There is a culvert that goes under the road. I would just sit on there with a crappie minnow and a bobber. There should be a group of people in lawn chairs or sitting on the rocks. If the people are there the fish too.

thanks for the tip, do you or anyone else know anything about lily or Loon lake for slabs.

Loon had a good population of nice slabs before it froze out about 4 years ago. I havent caught one there since. I looked on the dnr site and it looks like they didnt even stock any. Thats too bad because it seemed to be a decent lake for them.

Rip.. Loon lake HAD a Great population of SLAB Crappies before the freeze-out, I really hope they make a come-back. The biggest Crappie I ever took, came from that lake while I was fall wally fishin' about 2 AM from shore. It took a 4.5" chub on a treble stinger and I haven't come close to one that size since.

boy...brings back the memories...years ago as a kid we could climb out on some overhangind willows...using a drop line wrapped on a stick...and would just pound the crappies....this was a couple decades ago.....lots different now...but still wonder if you paddled a canoe around the south shoreline and explored some of those old haunts...hmmmmmm...

the area off the hwy warms quickly, and should be good in early spring. possibly try the NE end of the lake too..around the island farm and the channel going to Loon.

as for Lilly...when I grew up there it was never fished...mostly seemes like a sludge pool. It did attract big flocks of pelicans along the west shore....so you never know...

good luck and good fishing!

I fished Crystal all winter and caught only 1 crappie. This spring have had not much better luck but a handful, but they were all around 10"-11". Last night we were out and in an hour period we caught a nothern, walleye, catfish, crappie and a bullhead. Weird lake.

thanks for the info, me and a buddie went out on friday evening till sunset and fished by the highway. we caugh three walleyes and saw people from shore pull in two very nice eyes (around 3-4 pounders). walleyes and notherns seemed to be all anyone was catching. I didn't see one person pull up a crappie, but i'm sure the notherns had somthing to do with this. I am going to try some other spots i saw on the lake next time im out. mabe i will have better luck with the crappies.

About 10 years ago I was told by a local dentist that the DNR had discovered a very healthy population of Blue Gills out around the Island Farm and along the East Shore. I've never had the opportunity to follow up on this, but it sure could be fun if they are still there. wink.gif