• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hand Held Marine Radio

PT73

Question

Was curious if anyone has a recommendation on a Hand held radio. I fish in areas where cell phones are useless.

Thanks

2 answers to this question

I have fished with guys using hand helds down here on Pepin. Even the nice ones have very limited range of just a couple miles or so. The radios with the long 8' antennaes work great but are pricey and cumbersome. A water resistant model is a must and you do get what you pay for.

Hand held VHF radios are a good compromise for those that can't, for one reason or another, have a standard indash/underdash radio. True, range is limited somewhat, but with todays technology, that gap between the two is getting very narrow. You're greatest limitation with a hand-held is in antenna length. If memory serves, VHF is basically line of site. So the longer, or higher up your antenna is, the better TX/RX capabilities you'll have.

I feel that all the major players in the radio marketplace produce very good units. Take a good look and output power and features you may want. I happen to like the weather alert features found on some models. As well as muti channel monitoring. They're as simple or as complex as you want them. It's just a matter of finding one that's going to fit your application.