• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any one headin out on the spearing opener

Just wondering if anyones gunna be doin and spearing or bowfishin on may 1st around here...hopefully see ya out there wink.gif

Im sure I'll try some spots out that I shot a bunch last year. I know i could shoot some on the Ten Mile lakes, they are thick in there.

I hope to make it out there at some point on the 1st. I will be coming out with a friend that lives in underwood and trying to get at a couple of them. I was up in Perham last year for the opener and ended up doing pretty well so my hopes are high that we can get into a couple of them. Are there any starting to appear in any of the usual spots like by the dam?

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

yep there are a few suckers starting to come into the dam..also a dew tullibe swimmin with um..fun thing is we do is we start at the dam and float down to the deer acces with our boat wow for the number of shots we get but the few suckers we get blush.gif

where is there tullibee by the dam? DO you ever shoot and keep em?

Well on bow fishing opener i havent really seen them in there but this last weekend i saw them swimming with the suckers pretty much everywere in there but they only came by every once in a while

just wondering if anyone knows were a good population of carp are around here on any lakes that would be easy targets for bowfishin...be kinda nice to get somethin bigger then those suckers grin.gif

West Lost. Lots of carp in the shallow grass during the spawn, usually late may into early June. Float the section of river on the upstream side of the Phelps Mill Dam during spawn, and you'll see lots of carp there also.

Another good spot would be the shallows on the non refuge part of Orwell reservoir, and upstream to the Dayton Hollow Dam.

On the hot, steamy, calm days from mid July into August, Stalker can be fun for gar. There are three big sunken islands in the middle of the lake, sneak around them with a trolling motor, and look for the gar rolling on the surface.

there are a few good spots south of fergus. The county line on the mistinka(sp?) and theres a couple culverts on the veitenhiemer road off county road 1 by mineral.

Thanks guys im going to have to try a couple of those spots if there not to packed grin.gif..i've heard alot of different things about what people think they say that most of the suckers will be done spawning since there in there so early already what do ya think?

i think it will be tough this year to find suckers in any kind of small stream or crick with the warm weather lately, but there is always carp to go after

This warm weather may mean that they will spawn earlier but I guarantee that there will still be suckers around that you can stick some pointy objects into the back of. Even if they are through spawning there will be pods of them hanging in the rivers. Hopefully now we have some nice weather to get out there and get a bunch of them.

Just a quick question where do you guys think you are going to start looking for them on the 1st? If you don't want to give away any spots that is totally understandable, but I am just curious to see what everyone is thinking.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Well i know for sure the first place im goin is we start out at the ottertail dam and float down to deer lake and theres always piles of them in there...if we havent had enough then we sometimes drive over to blanch lake access but that ususaly always gets hit real hard right away in the morning but theres always a but load in there to....also the little crick comin out of balmoral usualy produces and theres a path that goes up into the woods that follows is and i've gotten some in there to and im sure most of the bridges around ottertail like the one that flows out of walker lake would be good but never made it over there

Good luck on may 1!

its just around the corner. I bet you bow fishermen are getting excited.

I am getting excited to get out there with the bow, but I am a little concerned at this early season, warm water/ I wonder if the fish will be gone before the 1st: I checked one of my favorite spots today and the suckers were so thick in there, they were laying on each other out of the water! There had to have been 10 fish for each 5 gallons of water! They were all suckers, but I have never seen them that thick, so early! If you want to see it (Within 5 miles of Fergus) email me and I'll let you know: IT is crazy, but I just think they will be out of there before people can spear/bowfish them! I would love to meet up with some guys who do this after the 1st: and give it a whirl!

All of my friends are totally in love with bow fishing. I am not one who does this, but love to come along and watch them. I guess im the guy who finds the fish for them ha! That would be cool to see. Is it south of Fergus? Cuz i knowa few spots where we used to go down there.

This "stacked" spot was just west of Fergus: I have a few places South of Town that we used to find fish later in the year: I just love going out there! I would love to get some video of a true "bow-fishing' outing:

You live in FF?

Yup only 5 more days well the weekend doesn't count since i get to go fishing anyways...but i doubt i will have enough time to get ready grin.gif

Are the suckers still as stacked as before with this stange warm to cold weather or what has anyone been scouting it out?...like to know what to expect for coming sunday smirk.gif

This weekend I was crappie fishing, and saw some pretty good piles of rough fish in the shallow warm bays. Who knows with this continuing cold weather though.

Pomme De Terre... I think I'll giver a try for a couple of hours.. Seen quite a few big carp the other day. probubly in the 20lb range.. The suckers should be running in some spots too..I gotta work that day.. so I'll get up early a go for a little while...should be alright..I don't know if It will be that great because of the weather though....I guess we'll see..

what lake were you seeing those carp on? I just got a bow and would like to tie into a few of them big boys if I can. Just the lake names where they might be hanging would be all that I would need just something to get me in the right general area and then I can do the rest from there as far as finding them is concerned. I figure you guys wouldn't be too tight lipped about where the carp are...I would just like to have the chance to stick a couple of them. Thanks in advance for any info.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

North tenmile along all the shorelines. Troll around the weeds and muck and don't forget your polarized sunglasses.

Thanks poutpro. You gonna be back home this weekend? If so are you going to head out spearing? Me and some guys were thinking about fishing pannies and such with our fly rods and spinning gear if you wanted to hook up and fish somewhere. Not totally sure of what the plans are but we could try to hit up one of the lakes. Let me know what you think. Talk to you later.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Well....today may 1st was quite a challenging opener weather wise you could say crazy.gif....anyways under the sleet/raing/snow/sun and wind and LOTS of clouds only managed 3 suckers the whole day wasant the best trip out thats for sure about anything that could go wrong did..broke my back light on my boat from a incoming tree on the river, broke the prop on my trolling moter and managed to get blood all of my new carpet smirk.gif....well it was still fun

Hey Wall-i-king, you guys do ok spearing this weekend? And you guys got lucky in that little "competition" we had!

yeah right juice...you wish tongue.gif. You know that we schooled you like you will never understand, but it was still a ton of fun. Maybe next time you will get lucky wink.gif. As for the fishing today it really sucked. I think we ended up getting two suckers today too but we just didn't even see many of them. It was just too dang cold, they all moved back into the lake. Probably in a couple weeks they will be back in. Hope to get back up that way in the near future and get at them again.

keep fishin'

wall-i-king

Did anyone beat out the snow, wind, and sleet to shoot a few rough fish? I tried a few places but had no luck. I think the fish had the same ideas I had to get outta there as fast as I could. Sure hope it warms up so we can stick some fish.